U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 07:55 PM

8 posts, read 794 times

Advertisements

One of the strangest things that ever happened in my life was when I was at work and found I had a headache with no aspirin nearby.

My friend passed me a pill and said," Trust me, this stuff is strong."

In 5 minutes my searing headache was No More.

I asked, " What the Hell did you give me?"

He Smiled, " A Tic Tac."

How can the mind produce such sensations of illness and also healing in the body?

Old 01-15-2020, 10:36 PM

6,190 posts, read 2,427,548 times
When most people speak of the "placebo effect" they give it a negative connotation - to indicate that the people are air-headed or mentally deficient. In reality, the placebo effect demonstrates that the mind is POWERFUL and that the body always aims for homeostasis.

The applications of the placebo effect are innumerable.

I would bet there's a lot of research online.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:48 AM

9,213 posts, read 2,678,771 times
Just saw a study where the placebo effect was 50%. So was the drug it was being compared to.

Which would you chose?

Old 01-18-2020, 06:56 AM

73,886 posts, read 86,321,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Just saw a study where the placebo effect was 50%. So was the drug it was being compared to.

Which would you chose?
OI have always believed in Mind over matter to some degree. This probably comes from a very early introduction into the Christian Science religion. No, I do not support the teachings of the church anymore, haven't for maybe 70 years, but my first religion was CS. and I still think, mind over matter has a lot to do with how we react to meds, sickness and life overall.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:10 AM

24,527 posts, read 29,584,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Which would you chose?
Source, please?

A drug that failed to achieve separation from placebo would never get approval.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:43 AM

4,615 posts, read 3,105,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Source, please?

A drug that failed to achieve separation from placebo would never get approval.
Why do you need a study? What if you're in the 30% (or 10%) of people that get better because of the placebo effect? Why not try that first?

Go look in the mirror and say out loud, I'm not going to get sick, I'm not going to get sick, or whatever you need to say, 10 times. Or eat/drink something and tell yourself that will fix whatever is ailing you.

Won't work for everything, but might for others.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:54 AM

24,527 posts, read 29,584,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Why do you need a study? What if you're in the 30% (or 10%) of people that get better because of the placebo effect? Why not try that first?

Go look in the mirror and say out loud, I'm not going to get sick, I'm not going to get sick, or whatever you need to say, 10 times. Or eat/drink something and tell yourself that will fix whatever is ailing you.

Won't work for everything, but might for others.
Irrelevant to the post I responded to.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:05 PM

249 posts, read 122,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copywiz View Post
One of the strangest things that ever happened in my life was when I was at work and found I had a headache with no aspirin nearby.

He Smiled, " A Tic Tac."

How can the mind produce such sensations of illness and also healing in the body?
Not surprised.
I'm an old person now and I remember two incidents from when I was a kid: 1) I was 14 yrs old and had
a doc's appt. (yuck one) the next day. My back was in spasms and I realized it was because I was worried
about the doc. appt. Sure enough, I went and the spasms stopped. 2) In college, a friend had a horrible toothache (similar situation to mine). She knew when it lifted it was psychological.

Then there was my dad who kept pushing vitamin C on me for a cold I had just before he drove me
to my first year of college. He got in the car and was proud of himself that the C got rid of my cold and I immediately produced a small pill bottle of the Cs I was handed . I'm not knocking C - it's situation dependent. I am knockin' my very smart father, though.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:28 PM

10,392 posts, read 6,841,503 times
Quote:

He Smiled, " A Tic Tac."

The placebo effect for pain is 30-40%. That Tic-Tac, or just a rub on of body lotion (that someone thinks is pain med) will work +/-35% of the time.

When I started practicing as a pharmacist 50 years ago, it wasn't unusual to get an Rx for Obecalp (Placebo spelled backwords) We would take empty capsules and fill with powered sugar.

That practice is long gone but the placebo effect is involved in any new clinical study. That's why all studies are double-blind, where neither the clinician or subjects know who gets real or who gets inert material

Old 01-18-2020, 05:37 PM

5,747 posts, read 6,983,675 times
Quote:

He Smiled, " A Tic Tac."

Can't tell the difference between a Tic-Tac and a pharmaceutical?

Cool story, bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness