U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 10:22 PM

6,392 posts, read 3,201,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
If this is a real request for help, ONLY way to detox is with professional help PERIOD!!!
Nope. 15 years ago I broke several bones in a fall. Docs gave me 100's of Oxy for weeks on end, and stupid me took them. One day I realized I was getting dependent on the things and just quit. I barfed my guts up and felt like crap for a week but wanted nothing more to do with any prescription narcotics, even a slow-taper withdrawal. Anyone can do it. You feel like total crap but it leaves such a bad taste in your mouth about the whole thing that, for me at least, you want nothing more to do with those drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 PM

11,023 posts, read 13,898,137 times
Just stoppit. Smoke some weed. If you can get fentanyl you can certainly find some weed somewhere..

Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 PM

464 posts, read 326,688 times
Default Professional help is best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy03101 View Post
I find myself a "victim" of the opioid epidemic.
What started as recreational use has become a outrageous habit. 10 grams a day of fentanyl. Not straight fent, I cut it 100:1. So 1/10th of a gram a day. I can't function without it. I'm out of control. I've been to aa and na but I just couldn't stomach some of the things I heard.
If aa works for people I think it's great. But it will never work for me.
What other options are there?
But... you might wanna check out bluelight dot org—in their Health and Recovery forum—for the time being. Good luck to you.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:59 PM

6,158 posts, read 2,729,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Nope. 15 years ago I broke several bones in a fall. Docs gave me 100's of Oxy for weeks on end, and stupid me took them. One day I realized I was getting dependent on the things and just quit. I barfed my guts up and felt like crap for a week but wanted nothing more to do with any prescription narcotics, even a slow-taper withdrawal. Anyone can do it. You feel like total crap but it leaves such a bad taste in your mouth about the whole thing that, for me at least, you want nothing more to do with those drugs.
Yes it's all the docs fault. How dare they medicate someone after a fall that caused several broken bones! They should have given you Tylenol.

OP needs a monitored med detox.

Last edited by LLCNYC; 01-16-2020 at 11:33 PM..

Old 01-17-2020, 06:13 AM

4,965 posts, read 2,135,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Just stoppit. Smoke some weed. If you can get fentanyl you can certainly find some weed somewhere..
People need to stop telling people to quit telling someone who is using fentanyl to just stop cold turkey. Weed isn’t going to help the withdrawal symptoms, which are serious with a drug as powerful as fentanyl. He needs a medically monitored detox program. Period.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:35 AM

8,416 posts, read 8,247,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy03101 View Post
I find myself a "victim" of the opioid epidemic.
What started as recreational use has become a outrageous habit. 10 grams a day of fentanyl. Not straight fent, I cut it 100:1. So 1/10th of a gram a day. I can't function without it. I'm out of control. I've been to aa and na but I just couldn't stomach some of the things I heard.
If aa works for people I think it's great. But it will never work for me.
What other options are there?
Being stronger and making a correct rational decision and sticking with it. That’s all you need. Professional detox will work for a few weeks, but if you don’t make yourself stronger and don’t stop making bad choices, then you will never recover. It couldn’t be simpler. Get. Stronger.

Drug use is a choice and a character problem. You are not a victim, you have chosen to victimize yourself. Make a different choice, or die. Pick one.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:53 AM

2,603 posts, read 1,104,516 times
Try a doctor who deals in opiate addiction and prescribes medical marijuana.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:51 PM

6,185 posts, read 7,061,872 times
Street Fentanyl?

Keep at it. Use a good whallop. You'll be off of it soon enough.

Otherwise. Stop it and hope to live a long life. If you can't do it alone, get to a Dr (takes months) or into a program (costs big $$$) but you will be off the junk if you wish.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:37 PM

4,102 posts, read 1,791,448 times
As we make the cultural transition from a religious society to a more logical/scientific one, the efficacy of programs like AA are dropping. From what I've heard, AA basically teaches stuff like "alcohol is a sin" and "you'll go to hell." Basically it tries to instill a fear of god rather than taking the problem at its root.

That might temporarily work for some people, but it'll never work on the logically minded. There's even some evidence that it has never really worked that well (https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...nymous/386255/). It sounds like what you need is a more modern program, maybe or maybe not like the ones in that article.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:46 PM

2,603 posts, read 1,104,516 times
Even though AA meetings are often held in churches I've never heard of them using fundamentalist religious arguments like you mentioned. What happened in AA meetings that I attended is that people tell their story of how alcohol caused them problems in their lives and how quitting alcohol lead to a better life for them. They do mention seeking a higher power to help you in your recovery from alcoholism, but AA is not a religious organization per se, as they don't define what that higher power is or should be, or that any behavior is a sin. I think a benefit of going to even a few meetings is to see how misusing alcohol can mess up your life, based on the stories told by other members. A person can go to meetings and just listen if they want to.

I did know a person who was ordered to go to AA to keep his job and was very embarrassed and ashamed by it because it was in his small community. I told him he should go to another meeting in another town. There was no need to stigmatize himself or let anyone in his community know he had a problem. The day he lost his job he killed himself, so AA didn't work for him, but I don't think it killed him either.

My own belief is that if you can't handle alcohol or any other substance or habit (sex, gambling, food, drugs, religion, video games, etc.) you should quit it. Used properly they can all be beneficial and enhance your life rather than detract from it. Many religions even incorporate wine in their ceremonies, so considering drinking or dancing a sin is pretty rare. I pity anyone who believes that hell is a possible outcome anywhere except here on earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
As we make the cultural transition from a religious society to a more logical/scientific one, the efficacy of programs like AA are dropping. From what I've heard, AA basically teaches stuff like "alcohol is a sin" and "you'll go to hell." Basically it tries to instill a fear of god rather than taking the problem at its root.

That might temporarily work for some people, but it'll never work on the logically minded. There's even some evidence that it has never really worked that well (https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...nymous/386255/). It sounds like what you need is a more modern program, maybe or maybe not like the ones in that article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness