U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 11:14 AM

5,007 posts, read 2,149,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I don't know about opiates, but there are no shortcuts. I tapered off cymbalta (an antidepressant) and it took almost 2 years. Good luck to you OP, slow and steady wins the race!
Rapid detox for opioids is available (even for Fentanyl) in a hospital setting. The main issue is that many people who use opioids, especially at higher quantities, may also have underlying mental health issues. The rapid detox does less to deal with that than a longer-term rehab program does. Some of the other programs, like medication assisted programs with Suboxone come with their own issues since then the person has to get off Suboxone. Whatever the OP chooses, he should do so with the help of a medical professional or treatment team knowledgeable about abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 11:46 AM

1,377 posts, read 722,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Whatever the OP chooses, he should do so with the help of a medical professional or treatment team knowledgeable about abuse.
Totally agree with this.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:17 AM

3,091 posts, read 1,189,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
There is no shortcut...the withdrawal is brutal. I beat the independence/addiction on my own, by tapering my dose once every week and a half...I'd cut the patches in half...then quarters...every time there was one week sickness/withdrawals that followed every lowering of the dose.

It took me 2 months to get completely off of the 50 mcg fentanyl patches I was on, by slowing cutting them down...no help from the doctors or anyone else.
You have to REALLY want it, and realize that it's not an easy fix.
I'm no expert but I listened to a podcast interview with a doctor who write a book about kicking his opioid addiction. He pretty much said the same thing as this- it's brutal and it's slow. He believed that too many programs try to speed up the "taper". I wish I could remember the name of the doctor or the book- I'm sorry I can't.

I do believe that the propensity to addiction is partly body chemistry. My late husband had a creaky back and kept a stash of opioids for when the pain got bad. He'd take a few, his back would get better and he'd stop. No difficulties at all but this was a guy who quit smoking cold-turkey after 40 years of smoking. I used a couple from his stash when I had terrible pain from a particularly bad dental abscess and couldn't get to a dentist right away. They did nothing for the pain but I felt no need to continue them, either. It had nothing to do with self-control or willpower. I just felt no need for them.

Good luck in breaking away from this addiction.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:47 AM

747 posts, read 410,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
ignorant attitudes and narrow minded mentally like yours is the problem. I hate when people are too stupid and narrow to not understand or even have sympathy for addicts. First of all why do you think the OP is fake?
Yes ok it is a choice in the beginning.. a mistake.. but that doesn't mean they deserve shame....
Ignorant? Narrow? I've seen severe addiction up close and personal with a sibling. I've seen the whole awful spectrum of it. How it affected my brother, his relationships with immediate and extended family and himself. I've witnessed the terrible and permanent damage it does and the toll it takes on family and the addict himself. I'm telling you that taking drugs for just getting high, and avoidance of responsibility is totally a choice. It's a very complicated issue with many factors in play. I do have compassion for addicts or anyone suffering as much as addicts suffer.

But in the end, the cold hard fact is that the addict needs to have a 'come to jesus' meeting with himself, and get professional help - for a very long time - and work there asses off in recuperating from it. The harder part actually, is staying off them for the rest of their lives. Because once you have that monkey on your back, he always remembers where you live.

So don't wag your finger at me and try to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I've seen the ugly face of addiction and I stand by my previous post. It's a ***** of a thing to get past, and best to just not go there in the first place. My own brief brush with the pull of it in my own life gave me just a tiny peek at what it must be like to be full-blown in the hopeless clutches of drug addiction. It is a life-long struggle just to get back to, and stay in Normal.

Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:14 PM

13,027 posts, read 15,958,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Yes it's all the docs fault. How dare they medicate someone after a fall that caused several broken bones! They should have given you Tylenol.

OP needs a monitored med detox.
sarcasm is unnecessary..it IS the Docs fault...narcotics are fine for relief as broken bones heal. NOT"100's of them for weeks on end.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why would anyone take fentanyl knowing what is known about that drug?

Seems crazy to me.

If you want to stop drugging, go to NA and work the program or go to rehab.
When I was first prescribed fentanyl back in 2104 (while waiting for a surgery) we had no computer, and I'd never heard of it.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
because you are not an actual addict!!!!! There is a difference
the withdrawals are the same.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:32 PM

13,776 posts, read 14,126,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy03101 View Post
I find myself a "victim" of the opioid epidemic.
What started as recreational use has become a outrageous habit. 10 grams a day of fentanyl. Not straight fent, I cut it 100:1. So 1/10th of a gram a day. I can't function without it. I'm out of control. I've been to aa and na but I just couldn't stomach some of the things I heard.
If aa works for people I think it's great. But it will never work for me.
What other options are there?
go to Al-Anon and stick with it. (different program than AA or NA)

Old 01-19-2020, 09:06 PM

13,638 posts, read 3,599,717 times
Im getting tired of hearing people DEMONIZE opioids...there is nothing wrong with taking these drugs! Keep in mind, it was just about 15-20 yrs ago, this same 'concern' was surrounding marijuana use, remember how they warned us how dangerous and deadly Marijuana was? They created special movies showing what the effects of Marijuana are, addicts committing murder, raping, going crazy, after smoking pot! Im surprised they havent done the sequel to 'Reefer madness' yet....its now 'Opioid madness 2.0' LOL

The only reason our govt is so concerned about them now, is because they were taking too much business away from the drug cartels, (addicts going to Doctors or pill mills and not the corner drug dealer anymore), that is why they targeted opioids and condition everyone to think they are nothing but pure evil!

I hear people talking about the pharma companies and how they lied to everyone about how addictive these drugs were...yes they are right, but the tobacco and alcohol companies did the same exact thing years ago too...didnt see the govt restricting access to those products though! Gee, I wonder why! Where was the concern for health in regards to cigarettes, which kills 500,000 every year (much more than opioids)!

If you really look at the problems associated with 'using drugs'...majority of the problems are due to the laws themselves (not the actual drug use). The drug laws are doing nothing but making the cartels more powerful and wealthy, they benefit from US drug laws!

These drug laws were originally created as a tool to be used against black people and people that were against the Vietnam war (Nixons own domestic advisor admits this, and the reason why they created drug laws)! Its the same thing going on today, just a different group of people being targeted, and the public is still allowing themselves to be duped by the same old excuse, health and safety!! Govt is not concerned with our health or safety, there is always a ulterior motive in the things they do.

This is the advisors statement...
"You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

Last edited by rstevens62; 01-19-2020 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-19-2020, 11:13 PM

6,155 posts, read 2,750,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy03101 View Post
I find myself a "victim" of the opioid epidemic.
What started as recreational use has become a outrageous habit. 10 grams a day of fentanyl. Not straight fent, I cut it 100:1. So 1/10th of a gram a day. I can't function without it. I'm out of control. I've been to aa and na but I just couldn't stomach some of the things I heard.
If aa works for people I think it's great. But it will never work for me.
What other options are there?
For how long & what are you cutting it with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness