Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 10:50 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid to take castor oil directly, so I was looking into capsules, thinking maybe I can avoid the horrible oily taste of pure castor oil. I am concerned not just about the taste, but also about the efficacy of castor oil regarding constipation. Since the ultrasound discovered an inguinal hernia in my abdomen lower digestive tract, and it gets worse when I'm stuffed with fecal matter than isn't going through (always had a problem with constipation), I'm wondering what you think regarding the harshness if there is any of the castor oil capsules, also if you think they'll "work." When I took things like senna & cleansers, my stomach was killing me, so I don't want to do that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 12:03 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I'm afraid to take castor oil directly, so I was looking into capsules, thinking maybe I can avoid the horrible oily taste of pure castor oil.

When I took things like senna & cleansers, my stomach was killing me, so I don't want to do that again.

DON'T take castor oil! If you constipation is this severe, talk to a professional

Old 01-20-2020, 12:53 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Drink prune juice or eat some prunes. As stated, if you were diagnosed, surely they have/had recommendations on what to do.

Old 01-20-2020, 02:18 PM

23,285 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
I'm afraid to take castor oil directly, so I was looking into capsules, thinking maybe I can avoid the horrible oily taste of pure castor oil. I am concerned not just about the taste, but also about the efficacy of castor oil regarding constipation. Since the ultrasound discovered an inguinal hernia in my abdomen lower digestive tract, and it gets worse when I'm stuffed with fecal matter than isn't going through (always had a problem with constipation), I'm wondering what you think regarding the harshness if there is any of the castor oil capsules, also if you think they'll "work." When I took things like senna & cleansers, my stomach was killing me, so I don't want to do that again.
What makes you think ingesting a capsule isn't "taking castor oil directly"???? That capsule still contains the same potentially harsh laxative you'd get by drinking it directly from the bottle or spooning it down your throat! The effect from the capsule might just take a little bit longer to start than chugging it from the bottle because the gel coating has to dissolve first. Look at the ingredients list for typical castor oil capsules. Active ingredient: castor oil. Inactive ingredients (that form the capsule coating): gelatin, glycerin, maybe water. Obviously, the amount you take will matter. If you don't take enough it may not do anything. If you take too much, well, I'll leave that up to your imagination.

Think about it...a capsule of ibuprofen, some allergy or cold/flu symptom reliever has functionally the same medication you'd get by drinking the liquid form.

You are bound and determined to try castor oil. People have given you information about how it works and cautions associated with it. Obviously no one can convince you of anything. Solution: buy it, pinch your nose shut like parents did when forcing their kids to take it, and find out for yourself.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-20-2020 at 03:18 PM..

Old 01-20-2020, 03:06 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Couldn't rep you again but I agree - some people post things and only want to "listen" to those that agree with them.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:17 PM

5,982 posts, read 3,724,157 times
Quote:
Don't know much about castor oil other than it's supposed to be a rather fast acting stimulant laxative. Have you tried Mineral Oil? It is not a stimulant. It works by making your poop softer and slicker. Accomplishes the same thing with no gastrointestinal cramps. And mineral oil has no taste at all. Take a swig or two before bedtime and your problems will all be behind you.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:22 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:

If you are that constipated (you've had several posts on harsh laxatives) go take an enema

Old 01-20-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Don't know much about castor oil other than it's supposed to be a rather fast acting stimulant laxative. Have you tried Mineral Oil? It is not a stimulant. It works by making your poop softer and slicker. Accomplishes the same thing with no gastrointestinal cramps. And mineral oil has no taste at all. Take a swig or two before bedtime and your problems will all be behind you.
I agree with those that say I should see a doctor. I am seeing a doctor and soon I will see a surgeon for an inguinal hernia recently diagnosed, and then I will decide what action to take. Thanks for the advice about mineral oil. I'll look into that. As I said, I don't want to hurt myself more than I probably already have. So I wasn't sure if castor oil would give me cramps and I'm glad I asked, even if some of the posters possibly think I'm nuts, but I'm still glad to be able to ask questions here sometimes. :-) So thanks for the thought about mineral oil instead of castor oil, although I'm not sure the castor oil capsules will hurt me, and I'm reluctant to try and see right now.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What makes you think ingesting a capsule isn't "taking castor oil directly"???? That capsule still contains the same potentially harsh laxative you'd get by drinking it directly from the bottle or spooning it down your throat! The effect from the capsule might just take a little bit longer to start than chugging it from the bottle because the gel coating has to dissolve first. Look at the ingredients list for typical castor oil capsules. Active ingredient: castor oil. Inactive ingredients (that form the capsule coating): gelatin, glycerin, maybe water. Obviously, the amount you take will matter. If you don't take enough it may not do anything. If you take too much, well, I'll leave that up to your imagination.

Think about it...a capsule of ibuprofen, some allergy or cold/flu symptom reliever has functionally the same medication you'd get by drinking the liquid form.

You are bound and determined to try castor oil. People have given you information about how it works and cautions associated with it. Obviously no one can convince you of anything. Solution: buy it, pinch your nose shut like parents did when forcing their kids to take it, and find out for yourself.
I said capsules because I'm wondering about the taste. And yes, I'm wondering if it is a harsh laxative. I called the doctor today because I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia, but I don't think that is my only problem with my digestive tract. However, we'll see. I'll keep following it up, although I am reluctant to see doctors but I do sometimes. The pain is not so good, so I guess short of an operation (which I believe the doctor will recommend), I'll have to keep an eye on it and ask the doctor if I can avoid an operation.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Couldn't rep you again but I agree - some people post things and only want to "listen" to those that agree with them.
so agree and some people want to try everything they see posted that might do this or that. Why are we all so obsessed now days with taking pills, flushing our bodies of impurities, having every test known to man and woman kind and who knows what else? Add to all this, yes, they only want to get the results that they want or the answers they want. They really don't want a objective discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness