Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 11:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
If face masks didn't work, doctors would not wear them. N95 would be better than nothing.
Doctors have to come into contact with sick people. They may use instruments that look into someone’s nose, throat, ears, or see them when they are coughing. They can’t ask a patient to wear a face mask when the exam includes listening to the lungs, looking at the ear, nose, and throat, etc. That said, usually they will request patients use a supplier mask in the waiting room and will supply tissue/sanitizer there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 11:28 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
If it helps to cut the infection rate , it may be all that all it takes. It may be a question of what gets where first, the vaccine or the virus. Also need to keep the pulmonary units from over flowing. Not becoming ill at the same time will be far worse than a slow burn.

Also , might be a good idea to wear a mask when going to the hospital for stitches during an outbreak.

It addresses a scenario is the point.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
If face masks didn't work, doctors would not wear them. N95 would be better than nothing.
We are not talking the same kind as doctor's wear I am guessing, not to mention if a doctor is wearing one and he happens to sneeze it would be better to sneeze into a mask than on the patient. I have to say, the scare is so great for all of us that we may be reacting in an overkill way. I intend to do the best I can to keep my hands away from my face, to stay as healthy as possible and have no plans to travel to China right now. That is about all we can do, use common sense but don't go over board.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
the point of the mask to keep you from touching your face and mouth with your hands so the spread is minimal .

Old 01-30-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
the point of the mask to keep you from touching your face and mouth with your hands so the spread is minimal .
To me,the washing of our hands is much more important than running around wearing a mask. We all need to be aware of touching our face and for some of us it is a hard thing to remember. If nothing else carry wipes with you all the time and use them often. Of course this is not going to stop the flow of all germs, as the wipes don't even offer that much protection but they can help a bit. It is just like wiping the basket at the store: do those little wipes do a lot to remove germs? Of course not, but if they help at all it is worth using them.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:17 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
To me,the washing of our hands is much more important than running around wearing a mask. We all need to be aware of touching our face and for some of us it is a hard thing to remember. If nothing else carry wipes with you all the time and use them often. Of course this is not going to stop the flow of all germs, as the wipes don't even offer that much protection but they can help a bit. It is just like wiping the basket at the store: do those little wipes do a lot to remove germs? Of course not, but if they help at all it is worth using them.
It's IMPOSSIBLE to wash your hands every time you touch something. Every single time your hand comes into contact with something, you would need to wash it. It's just not practical. Sure, wash your hands often- that's common sense. But in times of a deadly virus outbreak, even a paper mask over your mouth and nose is better protection than simply washing your hands every 20 minutes.

I saw a piece on the news this morning saying that the cheap masks don't help because the virus can get through the mask. That's so misinformed it's scary. Of course- these aren't gas masks. But they keep germs in when you cough, and they keep foreign things out when you're healthy. If someone sneezes near you, the paper mask can collect the errant spatter before it goes in your nose/mouth. The mask also helps keep your hands out of your mouth- people touch their lips hundreds of times per day without even realizing it. Going back to my first point, there are often germs on those hands even if you wash your hands every 20 minutes. So as soon as coronavirus gets to a place near me, I'll be wearing a mask in public places.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:04 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,801,818 times
The CDC estimates that from October 2019 to current there have been:
  • 15-21,000,000 Flu Cases
  • 8-20,000 deaths related to the Flu

As for the Coronavirus:
  • 5 reported cases in the US
  • 0 reported cases in the US

Instead of buying masks, wash your hands then grab a 6-pack of Corona Beer and chill.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
It's IMPOSSIBLE to wash your hands every time you touch something. Every single time your hand comes into contact with something, you would need to wash it. It's just not practical. Sure, wash your hands often- that's common sense. But in times of a deadly virus outbreak, even a paper mask over your mouth and nose is better protection than simply washing your hands every 20 minutes.

I saw a piece on the news this morning saying that the cheap masks don't help because the virus can get through the mask. That's so misinformed it's scary. Of course- these aren't gas masks. But they keep germs in when you cough, and they keep foreign things out when you're healthy. If someone sneezes near you, the paper mask can collect the errant spatter before it goes in your nose/mouth. The mask also helps keep your hands out of your mouth- people touch their lips hundreds of times per day without even realizing it. Going back to my first point, there are often germs on those hands even if you wash your hands every 20 minutes. So as soon as coronavirus gets to a place near me, I'll be wearing a mask in public places.
of course it is impossible to wash your hands constantly. I think you know what I meant. Keep your hands as clean as possible and remember if we rid ourselves of too many germs out resistance can even go lower. To me, more than masks, gloves, staying away from crowds is just use common sense. If you want to wear a mask, go ahead: I would imagine, all of us will be even more cautious if the virus becomes more apparent and spreads to our region, but I am not going to go overboard either.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:48 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,734,181 times
N95 but they are sold out everywhere.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:45 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
I want to thank everyone for their responses.

One thing has perplexed me about this virus and that is putting the evacuees in a confined space (airplane) when they are all potential carriers. I don't have a solution. It just struck me as odd. It's like they tripled their chances of getting sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness