U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2020, 03:48 PM
 
17,777 posts, read 16,031,024 times
Reputation: 6426

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The CDC estimates that from October 2019 to current there have been:
  • 15-21,000,000 Flu Cases
  • 8-20,000 deaths related to the Flu

As for the Coronavirus:
  • 5 reported cases in the US
  • 0 reported cases in the US

Instead of buying masks, wash your hands then grab a 6-pack of Corona Beer and chill.



Did the CDC consider that a global emergency yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2020, 07:39 PM
 
Location: North Fulton, GA
1,158 posts, read 2,393,775 times
Reputation: 648
Well, I tried buying masks in Atlanta last week but they were totally sold out everywhere. I was looking for N95s in particular.
And because my husband had recently returned from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2020, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara CA
4,827 posts, read 10,565,840 times
Reputation: 8961
Handwashing , not touching your face . getting lots of sleep and not stressing are your best choices. Stress and lack of sleep wear down your immune system. You want to keep you immune system strong not weakened.

I have worked in a hospital for 38 + years and have been around many patients come back the next day to find out they are now in isolation but were not when I saw them so others and I have been exposed to what ever. That said seldom have I been sick. When I do get sick it is when one of my co workers decides to come to work sick and coughs all over our breakroom. The reason I get sick then but not from patients is around the patients I am washing my hands and not touching my face but in our breakroom I am eating, relaxing thus not washing my hands after I touch something as it would be impossible to do that.


I think once again the news and social media have done a good job of creating panic Most of the people that have died after getting the corona Virus have comorbidities thus are the same population more likely to die from the flu and other viruses if they get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2020, 09:16 PM
 
7,422 posts, read 2,707,299 times
Reputation: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
To me,the washing of our hands is much more important than running around wearing a mask. We all need to be aware of touching our face and for some of us it is a hard thing to remember. If nothing else carry wipes with you all the time and use them often. Of course this is not going to stop the flow of all germs, as the wipes don't even offer that much protection but they can help a bit. It is just like wiping the basket at the store: do those little wipes do a lot to remove germs? Of course not, but if they help at all it is worth using them.
I totally agree with what you said. I have always been good about not touching my face out in public, but I've had a very stressful couple of weeks with a sick relative. I was waiting for the train and it was slow as molasses and I inadvertently rubbed my eyes with fingers out of frustration. I forgot that I used that same hand to hold onto a safety pole on a public bus getting to the train. I only thought of it later, that I shouldn't have done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2020, 09:20 PM
 
7,422 posts, read 2,707,299 times
Reputation: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
If face masks didn't work, doctors would not wear them. N95 would be better than nothing.
I thought N95 was the gold standard, the best kind of mask, rather than those flimsy things people wear over their ears and you open them up like a accordian to cover your mouth, nose and chin. What is the best kind of mask then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2020, 09:25 PM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
6,187 posts, read 2,765,318 times
Reputation: 19515
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I want to thank everyone for their responses.

One thing has perplexed me about this virus and that is putting the evacuees in a confined space (airplane) when they are all potential carriers. I don't have a solution. It just struck me as odd. It's like they tripled their chances of getting sick.
They are treating the outbreak like they want it to spread. You don't put people on an airplane. You don't herd them through airports. You don't take them to another country & THEN let them go home.

You just don't allow for international travel. Period. Instead, they are doing all these crazy evacuations & protocols.

I guess Gates figured it all out during his sponsored mock outbreak 3 months ago, lol.

https://www.businessinsider.com/scie...b-I38xOik28vE8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2020, 09:26 PM
 
7,422 posts, read 2,707,299 times
Reputation: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Handwashing , not touching your face . getting lots of sleep and not stressing are your best choices. Stress and lack of sleep wear down your immune system. You want to keep you immune system strong not weakened.

I have worked in a hospital for 38 + years and have been around many patients come back the next day to find out they are now in isolation but were not when I saw them so others and I have been exposed to what ever. That said seldom have I been sick. When I do get sick it is when one of my co workers decides to come to work sick and coughs all over our breakroom. The reason I get sick then but not from patients is around the patients I am washing my hands and not touching my face but in our breakroom I am eating, relaxing thus not washing my hands after I touch something as it would be impossible to do that.


I think once again the news and social media have done a good job of creating panic Most of the people that have died after getting the corona Virus have comorbidities thus are the same population more likely to die from the flu and other viruses if they get them.
I always wondered how people that work in hospitals don't catch a lot of the illnesses they are exposed to every day. Now, I know from your post, it is good habits, things that become almost second nature to do. Hand washing is so important, not touching face, and lots of sleep (this I have to work on).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,768 posts, read 1,465,053 times
Reputation: 2174
I work in the medical field, and we wear M-95 masks for anything airborne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
 
11,247 posts, read 6,837,405 times
Reputation: 9504
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I totally agree with what you said. I have always been good about not touching my face out in public, but I've had a very stressful couple of weeks with a sick relative. I was waiting for the train and it was slow as molasses and I inadvertently rubbed my eyes with fingers out of frustration. I forgot that I used that same hand to hold onto a safety pole on a public bus getting to the train. I only thought of it later, that I shouldn't have done that.
When I went to the bank this morning, I totally forgot and touched my mouth. How stupid was that, so dumb on my part. And, since the flu is going around, I had been so good about washing my hands. I could kick myself, seriously. I just washed my mouth off with antibacterial soap, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
 
11,247 posts, read 6,837,405 times
Reputation: 9504
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I thought N95 was the gold standard, the best kind of mask, rather than those flimsy things people wear over their ears and you open them up like a accordian to cover your mouth, nose and chin. What is the best kind of mask then?
N95 is great, sorry I wasn't clearer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top