U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 09:49 PM

9,882 posts, read 12,939,399 times

Advertisements

First, the N-95 mask everyone talks about actually has one of two certifications, the higher is one with an FDA approval. Those are what is commonly known as surgical mask which is just a higher quality designed N-95 mask. Although similar with the same N-95 rating, there is a difference. If you're using the term N-95 to describe the medical surgical mask, the correct designation for those is N-95-FDA.

Second, NO N-95 mask can stop the Coronavirus itself. Just like NO N-95 can stop Influenza itself. What they stop is the particles that viruses and bacteria may attached themselves to that creates a more common transport mechanism at least .03 microns. So, the virus can pass through the mask, but, if it is attached to dust, moisture from exhaling or any other element, it probably is too big to pass through the mask. In a clean room environment, the virus will walk right through the mask as if it doesn't exist. But, in normal life situations, the viruses probably are attached to other particles, most often human breath moisture, where the mask can be effective.

Third, N-95's should never be worn over and over again. They can be safely used for extended periods, but should not be taken off and put back on later. There is lots of explanations why by the CDC, mask manufactures and health care professionals, but just plain old common sense should be enough explain why reusing a paper mask is stupid. An exterior contaminated mask that is left undisturbed for a period of time can see viruses or bacteria detach themselves from their transport host thus no longer hindered by their size. The interior face side may be even more laden with moisture from your breath, acting like a sponge. Throw them away and use new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 10:38 PM

8,198 posts, read 22,722,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
A coworker who is a Chinese immigrant told me the other day that this is the point of wearing them. Which a lot of people don't seem to get - it's all about thinking of how to protect themselves, not other people who might be vulnerable.
I don't know about in China, but in Japan they are worn to conceal a runny nose to protect themselves from sneering eyes, not to protect others.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:28 AM

74,286 posts, read 86,657,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Doctors wear them so they don't cough in an open chest cavity they are working on.
Our granddaughter, who is a nurse practitioner told us yesterday, the masks do nothing or almost nothing to keep us from the virus, what they do is, by wearing them if you have the virus it will help to protect the spread. So by wearing them you are, perhaps helping others but not yourself. She also added, as many have said, people are over reacting at this time.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:27 PM

4,830 posts, read 10,585,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I don't know about in China, but in Japan they are worn to conceal a runny nose to protect themselves from sneering eyes, not to protect others.
Over the years I have traveled in different Asian countries and notice quiet a few younger people wearing masks and when I asked about that I was told it was to protect their skin from the sun as they do not want it to tan thus get darker so many wear masks and sleeves when out in the sun.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:17 PM

15,641 posts, read 12,545,237 times
There is one other point I think should be mentioned about these face mask: Many people have problems with their glasses fogging up. If you are fogged up and crossing a street; I would think there is a much greater chance of being hit by the vehicle you cannot see. Also, to get rid of the fogging of your glasses or goggles people have to play with the face mask or glasses; therefore your hands are touching the area that you want to protect.

Two uses that I like for the cheap face mask is an after the fact. Once you have a cold these mask can help protect others around you from catching the same cold. I also like to use them to help keep the air I am breathing moist because it can be painful to breathe in dry air. You could buy a humidifier; but the face mask does a better job and does not make the whole room feel damp and wet. Many times I will even sleep with one on when sick. It does not have to be a tight fit to help with the moisture problem.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:45 PM

5,237 posts, read 11,426,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Over the years I have traveled in different Asian countries and notice quiet a few younger people wearing masks and when I asked about that I was told it was to protect their skin from the sun as they do not want it to tan thus get darker so many wear masks and sleeves when out in the sun.
There are many reasons Asians wear surgical masks....sun protection isn't one of them.

Younger people in Asia are more likely to wear masks for fashion, anonymity and avoid interaction with others.

A rectangular piece of fabric covering the bottom half of the nose and mouth provides an interesting tan line, it certainly doesn't "protect the skin from the sun".....unless skin doesn't include cheeks, foreheads, half the nose, eyes, ears, etc...

Old 02-04-2020, 10:09 PM

4,830 posts, read 10,585,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There are many reasons Asians wear surgical masks....sun protection isn't one of them.

Younger people in Asia are more likely to wear masks for fashion, anonymity and avoid interaction with others.

A rectangular piece of fabric covering the bottom half of the nose and mouth provides an interesting tan line, it certainly doesn't "protect the skin from the sun".....unless skin doesn't include cheeks, foreheads, half the nose, eyes, ears, etc...
Most of them also have hats on that shade their upper face, ears etc just as they have sleeves that they put on to protect their arms when they are wearing a short sleeved top and have to go out in the sun.The masks are pulled up high on the nose bridge so along with the hat cover the face. I asked several different people in a couple different countries and was told the same thing it was to protect their skin from the sun. So sorry but this was what I was told.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:35 AM

4,381 posts, read 3,553,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
How did Japanese culture come into this?
I was speculating on a possible difference in Asian countries in general from the West, or at least from the US. An Asian may wear a mask to protect others from him. We tend to wear masks to protect ourselves from others. It dawned on me that Asian societies often think of the whole versus the individual. We often think of the inverse, our individual versus collective rights.

Thanks for asking.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:11 PM

7,446 posts, read 2,722,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Our granddaughter, who is a nurse practitioner told us yesterday, the masks do nothing or almost nothing to keep us from the virus, what they do is, by wearing them if you have the virus it will help to protect the spread. So by wearing them you are, perhaps helping others but not yourself. She also added, as many have said, people are over reacting at this time.
Granddaughter has given you excellent information. I've been hearing this on the news lately, too, from medical experts, wearing masks will help stop the wearer from spreading their germs when sneezing and coughing, but the #1 thing they say is frequent and quality hand washing, which is thought to be even more effective than hand sanitizers, but the sanitizers are good when you are out and about and there is no place to wash up. They also said the masks keep your hands off your mouth, nose.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:37 PM

10,516 posts, read 6,919,618 times
https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regi...airline-doctor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness