Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 06:21 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I can tell you that working in a space with no access to sinks and only hand sanitizer resulted in about the sickest place I’ve ever been. The issue in that situation is that everyone touching surfaces also has no access to a sink, so unless every surface, knob, etc, is also sanitized regularly, it is hard to avoid getting sick.

Newer cruise ships have gotten better with hand wash stations in the buffet area. Some combine with sanitizers.

Of cousre, having them there does not mean that everyone will use them. Only takes one to infect the rest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 06:26 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Of cousre, having them there does not mean that everyone will use them. Only takes one to infect the rest!
Effective sanitizers have to be 60%+ alcohol to work. It is not realistic to use them every time you touch a surface. Your hands will be dry, cracked, and bleeding.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Slightly paranoid about airborne transmission so I got a pack of el cheapo masks from dollar tree and threw in the trunk of the car if things get bad. Have always consistently washed hands before eating and don't touch face....use hand sanitizer if no access to bathroom. Supposedly hand washing (or hand sanitizer) is the most important thing you can do to prevent cold and flu.
The most important thing you can do to prevent flu (aside from vaccine which we're not allowed to discuss on a health forum) is to quit breathing. Handwashing is not particularly effective.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4891197/

It can be helpful for colds, and of course should be done as a matter of hygiene.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4891197/

Old 02-11-2020, 11:08 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Quote:
I can tell you that working in a space with no access to sinks and only hand sanitizer resulted in about the sickest place I’ve ever been. The issue in that situation is that everyone touching surfaces also has no access to a sink, so unless every surface, knob, etc, is also sanitized regularly, it is hard to avoid getting sick.

Newer cruise ships have gotten better with hand wash stations in the buffet area. Some combine with sanitizers.
I noticed that a few years ago, before you even get to the buffet area, there is a wash area, paper towels, sanitizers, and they even have people standing there to make sure people wash up before heading to the buffet. A very good idea!! Some of those serving utensils can get sticky, etc. but I do believe they change them out quite frequently.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:11 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Quote:
Effective sanitizers have to be 60%+ alcohol to work. It is not realistic to use them every time you touch a surface. Your hands will be dry, cracked, and bleeding.
OMG, tell me about it. On the one hand (sorry), you want to wash/clean hands frequently, but the soap/water really does a number on your hands. My solution is to moisturize after washing your hands each time - carry moisturizer with you when out, too. Cover all cracks with a bandage to heal them, also keeps bacteria from going into the cracks and especially important if they were bleeding/are bleeding.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:14 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I noticed that a few years ago, before you even get to the buffet area, there is a wash area, paper towels, sanitizers, and they even have people standing there to make sure people wash up before heading to the buffet. A very good idea!! Some of those serving utensils can get sticky, etc. but I do believe they change them out quite frequently.
I have never seen that! I stopped going to buffet's yrs. ago because of disgusting behavior I saw.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:18 PM

430 posts, read 283,636 times
I like this one

https://www.costumepub.com/p-25742-v...iABEgKRQvD_BwE

Old 02-11-2020, 04:11 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have never seen that! I stopped going to buffet's yrs. ago because of disgusting behavior I saw.
It seems to be the norm in newer ships. I think I saw the sinks first on a ship built in 2013, but they might have been on slightly earlier models. I went on a new Carnival a few years ago that had an amazing system where you just put your hands in, it washed/sanitized/dried your hands all in one go. My age 2 nephew came along and since that age group doesn’t normally do well with hand washing, it was awesome. He actually loved the handwashing machines. Others just have touch less sinks/washing stations, but those are still a vast improvement to having to hit up the bathroom before going to the buffet if you want to avoid using the sanitizer. I just came off a new celebrity and it had doors there that could be opened with a button, so you could wash your hands and use your elbow to open the bathroom door instead of using your hands.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:04 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I didn't realize we/you were talking about cruise ships - I was referring to regular restaurant buffets.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I can't say we never go to a buffet but it is rare and pretty much for the reason you just mentioned. We do have a favorite Japanese buffet we might go to once a year: we will go to Golden Carroll about the same, i that often and when our club here has a special we like to go, but overall the days of buffets left us about 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness