Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 07:21 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times

Advertisements

I really thought that I was a “tough old girl” and could handle most anything thrown my way - until I was pushed into the MRI tube. I’ve never had an anxiety/panic attack until then. The tech had pulled me out, and after several minutes, I told him to stick me back in. (I didn’t want to have to take another partial day off work. Yeah. Stubborn like that.).

The only way I made it through was to close my eyes before I was slid back in, did a LOT of deep breathing, and I kept my mind busy (eyes continuously closed) by counting & playing with numbers in my head. It helped that the tech had to pull me out every so often, so he was able tell me how many more minutes I had to go for that portion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 07:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I really thought that I was a “tough old girl” and could handle most anything thrown my way - until I was pushed into the MRI tube. I’ve never had an anxiety/panic attack until then. The tech had pulled me out, and after several minutes, I told him to stick me back in. (I didn’t want to have to take another partial day off work. Yeah. Stubborn like that.).

The only way I made it through was to close my eyes before I was slid back in, did a LOT of deep breathing, and I kept my mind busy (eyes continuously closed) by counting & playing with numbers in my head. It helped that the tech had to pull me out every so often, so he was able tell me how many more minutes I had to go for that portion.
So mind over matter and toughing it out and overcoming your limitations IS possible. Who knew?

Old 01-30-2020, 07:40 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post

You and me both. I spent my life flying airplanes long distances. Then out of a clear blue sky one trip I went to the claustrophobic side. Really annoying as I flew more than 5,000 miles every week. I actually developed a set of techniques to handle it - but it still screwed up my life.

Similarly I have had a dozen MRIs. The last one got rough. I made it but it was unpleasant enough I won't do that again unless in an emergency. I could but I am past the age at which you feel proud of your ability to deal with suffering. So from here on out...drug assistance.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:52 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
You don't need a large enough dose to impair your driving. Thousands of people with periodic anxiety issues safely take low doses of Xanax to cope with specific situations, and can still drive and go to work and operate heavy machinery. The point of taking the Xanax is NOT to knock you out or make you woozy. If that's happening, you're taking too much.

The function of Xanax is simply to take the edge off. Nothing more or less. I take it once in awhile. I'm prescribed .25 (quarter of a milligram), and the Rx is 3 times per day as needed. I usually take HALF of one of those, and just one of those in any given day's time, usually once or twice a month when I am expecting more stress than usual.

I can drive, I'm not impaired, I can still work, stand still, touch my finger to my nose, walk a straight line, not slur my words, see straight, etc. etc. There is absolutely no difference at all EXCEPT I feel less stress.

That is what you want when you get an MRI. Less stress.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:14 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Wait until you get an MRI with dye. You're not only trapped in this tube that is clanking away but after a few minutes they shoot a big jolt of dye in your veins and you get a hot rush off of it (at least I did).

I just retreat back in my head and work on some mental problem. Time flies. I don't take tranqs.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:50 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Wait until you get an MRI with dye. You're not only trapped in this tube that is clanking away but after a few minutes they shoot a big jolt of dye in your veins and you get a hot rush off of it (at least I did).
I'm sure the OP and his OCD are thanking you for adding yet one more thing to unnecessarily stress out about.

IME, imaging dye "rushes" have been nothing but a big fat Meh...not unpleasant or scary, just a momentary sensation, soon forgotten.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-31-2020 at 03:02 PM..

Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Couldn't rep you again but I agree - no need to stress anyone needlessly. They give contrast - there is no "dye rushing in" - I did get a slight metallic taste in my mouth but no big deal. I've had MRI's of various "parts" - including brain (which is the one I was most scared of but no big deal really).

The older MRI's were harder before they offered earphones (YAY for those! listen to music), I used to pretend I was at the beach and was hearing those sounds - I'm much smaller than OP but I also got a little bit of the claustrophobia thing - hopefully the place where OP goes offers the earphones/headphones thing with music - much easier. My late husband had very broad shoulders and did have an issue w/having to squeeze into the tube.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:10 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I went for one for my neck/back and lasted about the same time, 10 seconds before I yelled for them to let me out!! It was so hot and tight in there and they put the washcloth over my face like someone mentioned above, and it made it worse. I felt like I was stuffed into a coffin. I remember the larger one was better, and I could feel a breeze, which helped a lot! Go for the bigger one.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:30 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
First one was really easy for me, didn't even think about it. Second one, I panicked while being slid in. I didn't do it and drove home. I probably shouldn't say this, but I'm never going for another one.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:52 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
First one was really easy for me, didn't even think about it. Second one, I panicked while being slid in. I didn't do it and drove home. I probably shouldn't say this, but I'm never going for another one.
Utterly irrational. A marvelous life-saving technology in 2020 and you are going to avoid it because you can’t lie down and control yourself for 20 minutes. This just makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness