Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 10:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,222,506 times

Advertisements

I dislike as well. I agree with the tranquilizer. Makes it much more livable. I also dislike the noise though I can guts through it in a pinch. Better some drug help in my mind. I am not particularly claustrophobic...maybe a little. But I do not like the noise. And get the air phones with loud rock and roll does help.

I am a good bit bigger than you and still survive the small machine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 11:37 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,974,064 times
Just do it. Your comfort and happiness are not required for the images. You just have to lie there. You do it in bed every night. As you get on in years, you will likely need more of them. You will get used to it, but you have to get through the first one. Headphones, music, xanax, close your eyes, get the doctor what he needs. Close your eyes and have the music playing before you start going in. Do not open them until it’s over. Be stronger, don’t give in to yourself.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:04 AM

1,487 posts, read 869,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Just do it. Your comfort and happiness are not required for the images. You just have to lie there. You do it in bed every night. As you get on in years, you will likely need more of them. You will get used to it, but you have to get through the first one. Headphones, music, xanax, close your eyes, get the doctor what he needs. Close your eyes and have the music playing before you start going in. Do not open them until it’s over. Be stronger, don’t give in to yourself.
I always ask for..and get an open MRI..

Ask about that

Old 01-30-2020, 02:10 AM

108 posts, read 146,853 times
Edit: I apologize for not replying to individual comments; but that would likely take me so long that I would end up not replying to any of them.

First off, sincere thanks to all of you who replied. Even though, some of you obviously did not read my entire original post; which, admittedly, is relatively long; but I did specifically address some of the things that were mentioned and were relevant to this discussion and the replies.

1.) I did not even get to start the scanning process, so the noise was not part of the issue, because there was none.
2.) Besides the stress and uneasiness of the claustrophobia and anxiety, I have tremendous difficulty holding my legs still.
3.) I live about 80 miles away from the MRI office, so sedation/Xanax/Valium is a potential concern/problem.
4.) To the people who say to "just lay there", that's almost impossible, because of the pain that comes with holding still.

As for people diagnosing me on here, I was not expecting to get the same level of medical information that I would get from my doctor, but it's not always easy to get to ask every question you have when at an appointment. They have other people to treat and try to help, so their time is limited. And, yes, I have had a doctor tell me that they simply could not stay and continue to answer my questions, because they only had some much time with me for my appointment. Plus, you sometimes forget to ask some things when with the doctor; so I wanted to just ask and see what type of replies and potentially helpful information I might get. I would not automatically assume that every answer I get is as accurate and reliable as what I would get from a medical doctor; but I do believe that I could likely get some good feedback and helpful information and read through it and use it to try to make an informed decision.

Also, again, to the people who just say to "tough it out" and lay there and not let it bother you, that might help and make a legitimately significant difference to some people; but not everyone is the same. Sure, it might help me; but it's not a certainty, and I'm trying to prepare a plan in advance and give myself the best chance to be able to get through the MRI process. Not only so that I can try to actually get the MRI scan done, but because I don't want to spend hours sitting around after work to go to an early-morning appointment (I work late-nights, starting at 10:00 p.m. and get off anywhere from 3:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.) and have it be a waste of time again (which is what just happened to me on Monday, after I was not able to get the MRI scan done). Plus, because I have a long (75-mile) drive home afterward, I've got to factor that in. And if I'm supposed to work later that night, that complicates things ever further.

Yes, my situations sucks and basically nothing about it is simple or convenient. That's juts the simple reality of it. Also, yes, getting this MRI done is very important; which is why I'm taking the time to post about it on here and asking for helpful information, ideas and suggestions.

I'm grateful for the replies and I have read all of them, and I will continue to do so; but, unfortunately, my situations is just not as easy as it would be for most people. I would also like to say that the instant claustrophobia and the feelings of panic and intense anxiety were so unsettling and bothersome that I'm seriously unsure about even wanting to get the damn MRI, because of how unpleasant and unnerving the experience of getting in to the MRI machine was (and that was after only being in there for around 15 seconds).

I do have some muscle relaxers (Methocarbamol 500 MG Tablets) and an anti-anxiety medication (ALPRAZolam 0.25 MB Tablets, which is generic for Xanax, I believe) and I am willing to try to work it out so that I can take them prior to my appointment and hope that it helps enough to allow me to lie calmly in the MRI machine for 25-30 minutes; but I just don't know that it will help significantly enough for me to be able to not have another anxiety/panic attack. Which would really suck; because, if I could still not get the MRI scan process done, I would then most likely need to try to sleep in my vehicle for 3-4 hours and wait for the medications to wear off, so that I could then drive the 75-80 miles home. And, as I mentioned before, if I need to work later that night, that would make the situation even more difficult. And while getting a hotel room near the MRI office/my work would be nice and helpful, I am just not in a position to do that right now (my rent is due within 6 days and I'm currently short on it - yes, some of sometimes live this way, sadly and unfortunately), so that's not a practical option. However, if I end up getting an appointment in a couple weeks, after I get my rent paid, this will definitely be something to consider.

As usual, I'm sorry for writing so much. My stupid ******* OCD pretty much always makes it hard for me to be concise.

I do sincerely appreciate the replies, though. And I will continue to check the thread and see if more replies come in. I understand the seriousness of needing to get this MRI done and the potentially helpful benefits that will come from it, so I am legitimately trying to find a way to get myself to be able to get through the scanning process of it and get the results, so that my doctor can try to help me fix whatever it is that has been causing the pain in my legs and lower back for several years now.

Also, before I forget. It was mentioned that the Open MRI scans are not as detailed as the closed tube/bore MRI machines are, but is the difference in quality significant? Would it likely not be worth it to get an Open MRI scan? Would it likely not provide a clear/detailed enough image to be able to clearly show my doctor the area of my lower back that he wants me to have scanned?

Or, will the Open MRI scan likely offer a clear enough image to allow my doctor to see what he needs to see?

If, at all, possible, I would really like to try to get the Open MRI scan, because of how much the closed tube MRI machine bothered me. However, I don't know if my insurance is going to pay for all/any of the MRI scan, or how much the Open MRI scan will likely cost, and I don't want to end up having to make payments on the Open MRI scan, only for it not work well enough for my doctor to get a good image, and then need to still try to get a regular MRI scan.

From what I gathered, the cost of the MRI scan that I was going to have on Monday was around $376, so, even if my insurance covered none of that cost, $375 is the most amount of money I would owe and I could make monthly payments on that amount. So, if the Open MRI cost is around the same $376 amount, I would really like to try that as an option first and see what the scan results are like. And if they're not clear enough for my doctor, then, I could try to work on taking my muscle relaxers and the generic Xanax pills, or maybe even pay the $60m to get the liquid sedation at the MRI office, and see if that would help me get through the MRI scan process.

One more thing; then, I'll stop typing for a while.

Would anyone like to recommend any specific stretches or exercises, or try trying using an inversion table or traction, or any medications, or possible suggestions (heating pad, ice pack, pain cream, etc.) that might help to reduce some of the pain and discomfort that comes with (what is likely) a pinched/compressed nerve/Sciatica problem?

Thanks, again, for all of the replies, y'all. I appreciate it!

Last edited by Arizona Renegade; 01-30-2020 at 03:14 AM..

Old 01-30-2020, 03:23 AM

108 posts, read 146,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
I always ask for..and get an open MRI..

Ask about that
Were your Open MRI scan results always clear and detailed enough for your doctor to properly read them and get the necessary information from the scans? And if you have had MRI scans in both types of MRI machines, have you ever had an issue with there being a difference in the quality of the results from the scans by the different types of MRI machines (closed tube vs. Open)?

I fully intend on trying to get an Open MRI scan, but someone specifically mentioned that the Open MRI scans are not as good/clear/detailed as they are when done by a standard closed MRI machine, so that made me concerned about that possibly being an issue for me. And being that my scans needs to be of my lower back, I assume that I will need to get good, clear, detailed images of that area of my body.

Were any of your MRI scans of your back? And if so, did the Open MRI produce good-quality results?

Also, do you recall about how much the cost of an Open MRI scan was? And about how long the scan took?

And would you like to recommend the place where you got your Open MRI scans done?

Old 01-30-2020, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
Were your Open MRI scan results always clear and detailed enough for your doctor to properly read them and get the necessary information from the scans? And if you have had MRI scans in both types of MRI machines, have you ever had an issue with there being a difference in the quality of the results from the scans by the different types of MRI machines (closed tube vs. Open)?

I fully intend on trying to get an Open MRI scan, but someone specifically mentioned that the Open MRI scans are not as good/clear/detailed as they are when done by a standard closed MRI machine, so that made me concerned about that possibly being an issue for me. And being that my scans needs to be of my lower back, I assume that I will need to get good, clear, detailed images of that area of my body.

Were any of your MRI scans of your back? And if so, did the Open MRI produce good-quality results?

Also, do you recall about how much the cost of an Open MRI scan was? And about how long the scan took?

And would you like to recommend the place where you got your Open MRI scans done?
Apparently the images were detailed enough to provide a diagnosis.....mostly orthopedic things like knee, ankle tendon, low back

Am older than you! Have Medicare PPO and PPO supplement, so no cost to me.....depends upon your type of insurance of course

I live in So. Cal with lots of medical treatment locations....drove maybe 7 miles..
BTW..my last one was on a Sunday!

Good luck

Old 01-30-2020, 04:17 AM

Just found that you live in Scottsdale area.....there should be open MRI available

BTW..my hubby had his low back disc issue diagnosed by open MRI.....his surgeon showed us the MRI....amazingly detailed..his discectomy was very successful...he is 80!

Old 01-30-2020, 04:28 AM

23,790 posts, read 33,254,238 times
Quote:
Also, again, to the people who just say to "tough it out" and lay there and not let it bother you, that might help and make a legitimately significant difference to some people; but not everyone is the same. Sure, it might help me; but it's not a certainty, and I'm trying to prepare a plan in advance and give myself the best chance to be able to get through the MRI process. Not only so that I can try to actually get the MRI scan done, but because I don't want to spend hours sitting around after work to go to an early-morning appointment (I work late-nights, starting at 10:00 p.m. and get off anywhere from 3:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.) and have it be a waste of time again (which is what just happened to me on Monday, after I was not able to get the MRI scan done). Plus, because I have a long (75-mile) drive home afterward, I've got to factor that in. And if I'm supposed to work later that night, that complicates things ever further.
I think you should change the time of the MRI to after you wake up when you have less pain verses working all night. The drive alone would get my sciatic going. I find that I do better at certain times of the day like 10am then 1pm.

I do understand being claustrophobic is another issue; if you go after you wake up, you may be able to try to relax more then after work with doing a long drive.

I do not wear shoes in the MRI. I have days where I'll use ear plugs because their headset is too heavy.

You may have to try an open MRI or they"ll have to IV you to knock you out. That's what my daughter does at a hospital. That may work better for you, a local hospital, if you have one, may be able to fit you in.

Quote:
Also, before I forget. It was mentioned that the Open MRI scans are not as detailed as the closed tube/bore MRI machines are, but is the difference in quality significant? Would it likely not be worth it to get an Open MRI scan? Would it likely not provide a clear/detailed enough image to be able to clearly show my doctor the area of my lower back that he wants me to have scanned?
No one I know has had one in a long time. My daughter had them close to 10 years ago when they were machines you sat in. I'd assume images have come a long way. They also may help with diagnosing your sciatic if they tilt the table to put pressure on it.

Open MRI vs. Closed MRI

Quote:
From what I gathered, the cost of the MRI scan that I was going to have on Monday was around $376, so, even if my insurance covered none of that cost, $375 is the most amount of money I would owe and I could make monthly payments on that amount. So, if the Open MRI cost is around the same $376 amount, I would really like to try that as an option first and see what the scan results are like. And if they're not clear enough for my doctor, then, I could try to work on taking my muscle relaxers and the generic Xanax pills, or maybe even pay the $60m to get the liquid sedation at the MRI office, and see if that would help me get through the MRI scan process.
Price the open verses closed as well as sedation. Your time and gas should be factored as well. Getting the open MRI image is better then not having an image at all

Old 01-30-2020, 06:54 AM

8,296 posts, read 3,867,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Have your doctor prescribe Xanax and take it a hour in advance.
This is what I was going to say. Xanax or Klonopin will greatly reduce the anxiety and should allow you to get through the procedure. Only problem is that doctors require a rock solid reason for prescribing these days as these are heavily controlled substances. But you could ask.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:56 AM

5,840 posts, read 6,112,944 times
If having it done using an Open MRI is the only way you think you can do it, then use an Open MRI. No, the images aren't as good, but are they so terrible that the radiologist won't be able to see anything and you'll have to repeat the MRI? Not likely. They know what they're looking for. They read Lumbar Spine MRI's all the time since lower back pain is so common. And if and when you have to ever see a spine surgeon, they will read the images at least equally as good, if not better than, a radiologist. Also, know that you don't have to hold perfectly still for the entire time. They will do one series that lasts about 3-6 minutes, then the Tech will take a short break to review them for quality before moving on. During that time, you can move around just a little bit.

As far as stretching and exercising go, I would caution you to hold off on anything until you have an accurate diagnosis. But, if you go to Google or YouTube and search for "stretches for sciatica" or "exercises for sciatica" or "core strengthening", you will see far more than you could ever possibly do. In most states, you can self refer to a PT who can assess you and get you started, but without a doctor's order, you'd have to pay the full cash rate, which can be several hundred dollars a session. Again, though, I wouldn't recommend starting anything before you know what's wrong. You're putting cart before the horse here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness