Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 12:00 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post

I do have some muscle relaxers (Methocarbamol 500 MG Tablets) and an anti-anxiety medication (ALPRAZolam 0.25 MB Tablets, which is generic for Xanax, I believe) and I am willing to try to work it out so that I can take them prior to my appointment and hope that it helps enough to allow me to lie calmly in the MRI machine for 25-30 minutes; but I just don't know that it will help significantly enough for me to be able to not have another anxiety/panic attack. Which would really suck; because, if I could still not get the MRI scan process done, I would then most likely need to try to sleep in my vehicle for 3-4 hours and wait for the medications to wear off, so that I could then drive the 75-80 miles home. And, as I mentioned before, if I need to work later that night, that would make the situation even more difficult. And while getting a hotel room near the MRI office/my work would be nice and helpful, I am just not in a position to do that right now (my rent is due within 6 days and I'm currently short on it - yes, some of sometimes live this way, sadly and unfortunately), so that's not a practical option. However, if I end up getting an appointment in a couple weeks, after I get my rent paid, this will definitely be something to consider.
I still think you could have options to make this work with help from co-workers. Is there really no one you could ask? Is there no way to request an accommodation to your schedule for this day? Don't you have any sick or vacation time you could use? You really couldn't manage to use your parked car, an empty office, or break room at your worksite as a place to crash for a couple of hours and use a cab to shuttle back and forth?

If you are set on having this test you need to find some way to make it work. I don't think you are out of options, I think you are making it harder for yourself to see some alternatives that require a bit of adjustment on your end. Your newly-admitted OCD is a big part of that voice. If you really can't see any options, postpone the test and live with your symptoms until you can better afford it. People find themselves needing to do this all the time.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-30-2020 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 12:02 PM

1,500 posts, read 886,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have a home near 104th and Shea. It has a detached casita I never use, with a pull-down Murphy bed. It is clean, dry and comfortable with a full bathroom and a kitchenette.

You are welcome to bunk there after your MRI. It will be completely private. I have put up friends there before. And this might save you an unnecessary 160-mile round trip.
How nice of you to offer......this guy needs help

Old 01-30-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, this little gem wins the prize for least helpful, most insensitive and inapplicable post of the day. However, its still early so there's still time for another whopper.
Agreed....

Old 01-30-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I think you should change the time of the MRI to after you wake up when you have less pain verses working all night. The drive alone would get my sciatic going. I find that I do better at certain times of the day like 10am then 1pm.

I do understand being claustrophobic is another issue; if you go after you wake up, you may be able to try to relax more then after work with doing a long drive.

I do not wear shoes in the MRI. I have days where I'll use ear plugs because their headset is too heavy.

You may have to try an open MRI or they"ll have to IV you to knock you out. That's what my daughter does at a hospital. That may work better for you, a local hospital, if you have one, may be able to fit you in.

No one I know has had one in a long time. My daughter had them close to 10 years ago when they were machines you sat in. I'd assume images have come a long way. They also may help with diagnosing your sciatic if they tilt the table to put pressure on it.

Open MRI vs. Closed MRI

Price the open verses closed as well as sedation. Your time and gas should be factored as well. Getting the open MRI image is better then not having an image at all
Are you saying no one you know has had an open MRI for ten years?

Not true in So. Cal...done all the time

I have had 3...hubby 2

We were shown the images by our surgeons....amazingly clear and detailed..

We both had very successful surgery based upon open MRI

Tho I do agree IV sedation in hospital might be an option...tho one wonders if all insurance would pay...not sure Medicare would

Old 01-30-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
If having it done using an Open MRI is the only way you think you can do it, then use an Open MRI. No, the images aren't as good, but are they so terrible that the radiologist won't be able to see anything and you'll have to repeat the MRI? Not likely. They know what they're looking for. They read Lumbar Spine MRI's all the time since lower back pain is so common. And if and when you have to ever see a spine surgeon, they will read the images at least equally as good, if not better than, a radiologist. Also, know that you don't have to hold perfectly still for the entire time. They will do one series that lasts about 3-6 minutes, then the Tech will take a short break to review them for quality before moving on. During that time, you can move around just a little bit.

As far as stretching and exercising go, I would caution you to hold off on anything until you have an accurate diagnosis. But, if you go to Google or YouTube and search for "stretches for sciatica" or "exercises for sciatica" or "core strengthening", you will see far more than you could ever possibly do. In most states, you can self refer to a PT who can assess you and get you started, but without a doctor's order, you'd have to pay the full cash rate, which can be several hundred dollars a session. Again, though, I wouldn't recommend starting anything before you know what's wrong. You're putting cart before the horse here.
Thanks for this......

Our spine surgeon showed us the Open MRI images of hubby’s lumbar spine....amazingly clear..and diagnostic....the radiologist who read them gave excellent written evaluations as well..

Old 01-30-2020, 03:07 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,374 times
OP, believe me, I completely understand about your anxiety to do this. I am the same way. I avoid getting an MRI at all costs. I completely get it.

Inquire if you can do an Open MRI, or if even a CT Scan would be sufficient. CT scans are EASY. Probably 10 seconds per scan, almost like getting an X-ray done. I was surprised how easy a CT scan is.

You can ask your doctor if there is an alternative to a regular MRI.

Look, you don't HAVE to do... anything. But, think about the alternative. You have a medical issue. Something needs to be looked at, and they can't treat it unless they see inside you. I suppose a surgery would let them see inside, so would you rather have a surgery?? Just kidding.. (sort of.) It's up to you if you can go through it, it will only take maybe 40 minutes total of your day, and afterward, I think you will be so happy that you did it and that they can then start a treatment. Think of the long term benefits over the very short term discomfort. You can do it!! Good luck!! Let us know.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:15 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Been there.
Find open MRI. They are plenty.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:17 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
This is what I was going to say. Xanax or Klonopin will greatly reduce the anxiety and should allow you to get through the procedure. Only problem is that doctors require a rock solid reason for prescribing these days as these are heavily controlled substances. But you could ask.
Even a SINGLE dose/pill? <smh>

Old 01-30-2020, 06:17 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,326,475 times
My oncologist has ordered another MRI imaging and a separate MRI biopsy. My previous MRI imaging was fine, but during the MRI biopsy I threw up. She (oncologist) mentions that this time I could take a tablet of Benadryl one hour before the MRI biopsy. I searched the internet and found that Benadryl is for allergy and nausea. I think my problem is nerve. Should I ask my family doctor to prescribe Xanax or Valium?

Old 01-30-2020, 06:19 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
My oncologist has ordered another MRI imaging and a separate MRI biopsy. My previous MRI imaging was fine, but during the MRI biopsy I threw up. She (oncologist) mentions that this time I could take a tablet of Benadryl one hour before the MRI biopsy. I searched the internet and found that Benadryl is for allergy and nausea. I think my problem is nerve. Should I ask my family doctor to prescribe Xanax or Valium?
Benadryl causes sleepiness, drowsiness. Which is probably why your oncologist suggested it. To relax you.

Some people take Benadryl just to help sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness