U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 03:42 PM

10,484 posts, read 6,901,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I implore you to watch the second video I posted on the first page of this thread. This seminar was done by Peter Attia, a highly respected surgeon and longevity researcher. The audience were mostly healthcare professionals. It is eye-opening and contrary to everything we were told by dated science about cholesterol and diets.

I am treated by two of the top CHD researchers in the country. The videos are nonsense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 07:58 PM

1,529 posts, read 711,571 times
I also want to point out that cholesterol is well known to increase when you are fasting and dehydrated.

Quote:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7895421
Fasting with fluid restriction results in significantly higher lipid levels and, therefore, variation in hydration of patients could contribute to fluctuation in lipid levels of patients. Care should be taken to ensure that patients are in a standard state of hydration during assessment of lipid levels. We recommend: 1) that patients fast no longer than 12 h, and 2) that, during fasting, patients avoid unnecessary physical activity, avoid hot dry environments, ensure a liberal intake of water, and avoid diuretic substances such as caffeine.
So many of you are being treated for a problem you don't have until your doctor tells you to fast the night before the blood test.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:08 PM

5,286 posts, read 2,390,233 times
^I didn't know that!! the sampling size is very small.
I have fasted for as long as 14 hours. Other times limited my fluids. I also have D-2 and sensitive in a narrow range.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:02 AM

759 posts, read 248,658 times
Regarding diet and cholesterol. I had three lipid panels done...one as an omnivore in 2010. One as a vegan in 2012. And one recently in 2019 as a pescetarian. I've always had low cholesterol and no problems run in my family as far as that goes. I was a similar weight and avid exerciser in all three periods of time, the only difference being what I ate:

omni 2010: (not a fasting lipid profile): HDL 67, total 155

vegan 2012 (fasting lipid profile): total 125, HDL 57, LDL 67, triglycerides 45, glucose 82.

pescetarian 2019 (fasting lipid profile): total 155, HDL 70, LDL 75, triglycerides 50, glucose 87.

Interestingly my total is the same for pesc and omni, but HDL much greater as a pescetarian consuming only fish for meat (2x week), limited dairy (mostly lowfat Greek yogurt) and only 3 eggs per week. LDL is presumably lower but I don't have an LDL to compare as an omni. Everything was lower as a vegan but HDL also fell.

I do think diet makes a difference but you need to be fairly strict as far as avoiding junk food, severely limiting sugar, keeping saturated fat intake low, and keeping processed food intake low. Exercise can also help if you do it vigorously and regularly, not just a leisurely walk each day. But I do understand there are other factors that are more difficult to control. My only risks are surgical menopause, hypothyroidism for 33 years (very well controlled on a pescetarian diet, avoiding soy and taking brand name synthroid), and being on a particular drug for bones (Prolia) due to severe osteoporosis (which worsened considerably when I was vegan according to successive dexa scans).

Old 02-01-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^I didn't know that!! the sampling size is very small.
I have fasted for as long as 14 hours. Other times limited my fluids. I also have D-2 and sensitive in a narrow range.

I originally looked it up because every time I fasted for a long time -- 16 hours or so -- and had been dieting and then got a cholesterol test (this was extremely typical on a Saturday morning where the lab didn't open until 9:30 am) my numbers spiked (cholesterol and LDL). But when I didn't fast - they reduced.

I also suspect that there is something about fasting itself that causes the body to send cholesterol skyward. Now that I do intermittent fasting I know that Ketosis starts around 10 to 13 hours into a fast. You see the recommendation is for no longer than 12 hours fasting for cholesterol tests. If Ketosis causes your cholesterol to unnaturally increase than the protocol everyone follows before a blood test is a major causative factor. There is just so much that we don't know. Ask yourself, if we have determined that food doesn't effect cholesterol, why are we still fasting before a cholesterol test?

As an aside, a software engineer named Dave Feldman has been performing experiments for years on himself to see what different eating strategies in the days before a test could do to the cholesterol results. The site is called Cholesterol Code.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:08 AM

11,498 posts, read 7,787,802 times
Run baby run.

I know that's an oversimplification of the issue, but there is something to it, and also to the route to being able to exercise effectively enough to lower cholesterol. A holistic approach is needed, a consideration of other health problems, that lead to high cholesterol. It's a great big picture, that most are only looking at a snippet of.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:30 AM

4,643 posts, read 1,518,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I also want to point out that cholesterol is well known to increase when you are fasting and dehydrated.

So many of you are being treated for a problem you don't have until your doctor tells you to fast the night before the blood test.
This is a great observation. Why are we fasting before our lipid profile tests then?

Anyone know? I'm aboutto get mine done (Anylab, not through a Dr.), so timely replies would be greatly apprecited.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
This is a great observation. Why are we fasting before our lipid profile tests then?Anyone know? I'm aboutto get mine done (Anylab, not through a Dr.), so timely replies would be greatly apprecited.
Actually I believe in 2013 the recommendation was to stop fasting before a cholesterol panel... but since that time my doctor has reversed herself and I am not sure why because as far as I can see that is more and more the recommendation.

If you do not fast before the cholesterol panel and the cholesterol panel includes triglycerides and fasting glucose.. both of those will be increased.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart...olesterol-test (also notice here that they define fasting as 8 hours without food).

To me there is a simple solution.

Divorce triglycerides and glucose from the cholesterol panel and stop fasting for cholesterol.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:57 AM

I have a poor (not awful) family history...both sides. Dad's 86 still plays golf 2x/wk, he had by-pass at 58, arythmia now.

I had 210 O-cholesterol ~10 yrs ago, so Doc put me on atorvastatins...lowest dose...30MM?

I also became pescatarian ~10 yrs ago too. Excellent diet.

I took statins for ~2 yrs, total C dropped to 163, then script ran out and they demanded I go back to Dr. to renew. The primary said I had to go to Cardiologist to renew. He wanted too much $, so I quit statins...fired them all.

Today, I take Slo-Niacin, CoQ10, Tumeric, Magnesium, and a few other supplements. I quit the low-dose coated aspirins.

Exercise 2 hrs/day, 5 days/wk, so ~10 hours/wk of moderately rigorous activity, not including yard work.

I feel fine. I've played 27 games total of mid-level Pickleball the past 3 days...minor soreness..otw fine.

I am going in to Anylab for a lipid profile soon to verify #'s are ok. I have 2 other baseline lipid profile lab results to compare the new one to.

Recently read "The Cholesterol Myth" which says inflammation, not high cholesterol causes heart attacks. Who knows?

I'm always open to suggestions.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Actually I believe in 2013 the recommendation was to stop fasting before a cholesterol panel... but since that time my doctor has reversed herself and I am not sure why because as far as I can see that is more and more the recommendation.

If you do not fast before the cholesterol panel and the cholesterol panel includes triglycerides and fasting glucose.. both of those will be increased.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart...olesterol-test (also notice here that they define fasting as 8 hours without food).

To me there is a simple solution.

Divorce triglycerides and glucose from the cholesterol panel and stop fasting for cholesterol.
Thx, I'll follow this advice. My Tri's were always good, even fasting for 12 hrs prior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness