U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 08:01 AM

3,127 posts, read 1,214,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Run baby run.

I know that's an oversimplification of the issue, but there is something to it, and also to the route to being able to exercise effectively enough to lower cholesterol. A holistic approach is needed, a consideration of other health problems, that lead to high cholesterol. It's a great big picture, that most are only looking at a snippet of.
I certainly agree with that. Cholesterol is a number. High cholesterol is an abnormal lab result (with the definition of "abnormal" changing over the years). I remember when total cholesterol was the magic determinant of cardiac health. Now not only do we look at the components but there are some ratios and differences among the components that are meaningful. (My SIL said her neighbor had total cholesterol at a nice, low level. Then he had a heart attack and they found his HDL was about zero.) So, I try to step back and look at my whole picture, including diet, exercise and weight, and it's pretty darn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 01:58 PM

4,373 posts, read 8,153,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I am treated by two of the top CHD researchers in the country. The videos are nonsense
I have never needed to take even an aspirin all my life. What do I know. You, on the other hand, need "top CHD researchers" to keep you alive.

You win. Congrats.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:03 PM

10,488 posts, read 6,903,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have never needed to take even an aspirin all my life. What do I know. You, on the other hand, need "top CHD researchers" to keep you alive.

You win. Congrats.

No, I lose. I had a 5 way coronary bypass when I was in my 40s. (Maybe I have won because of my Docs for the past 30 years. I'm still here!

Old 02-01-2020, 02:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 2,392,425 times
So , Mike1003, did you change your diet?0

Old 02-01-2020, 04:59 PM

10,488 posts, read 6,903,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
So , Mike1003, did you change your diet?0

Of course I did. Also, exercise more. But that only dropped CHD by a small amount.

It was the statins and zetia that dropped it almost 200 points

Old 02-01-2020, 05:16 PM

9,205 posts, read 4,038,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I also want to point out that cholesterol is well known to increase when you are fasting and dehydrated.

So many of you are being treated for a problem you don't have until your doctor tells you to fast the night before the blood test.

Every time I've fasted in preparation for a blood panel including cholesterol the tech/doc reminded me to be sure to drink enough WATER!

Old 02-01-2020, 05:29 PM

2,528 posts, read 864,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I wish I were so brave...

Mine are genetic too.
There is little to no documented data to prove that high cholesterol reduction has a positive effect on reducing major heart issues. There is substantial data that confirms that once a person does have a heart attack or heart disorder that statins are beneficial in preventing further heart attacks.

A best selling book worth reading is The Great Cholesterol Myth, IMO.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:04 PM

5,299 posts, read 2,392,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Of course I did. Also, exercise more. But that only dropped CHD by a small amount.

It was the statins and zetia that dropped it almost 200 points
So what in your diet changed?
I found the same results in changing the diet, Chol numbers only changed slightly. The trigly changed quite a bit (atkins-low carbs, but was hard to maintain). I'm fight multifronts, prostate & hormonal treatments, gout, BP, T2, high trigly #, and age 70. Always have been active. The last 15 years, health have been getting tougher. I am afraid of going on statins or tricor again, the pain was pretty bad. At that time, the literature said that muscle degeneration and pain was "rare".

Old 02-01-2020, 09:20 PM

696 posts, read 629,982 times
If you want to improve your cholesterol, your blood pressure, your heart health, or just improve your entire life, get your magnesium levels up to what they should be. Oral supplementation will not cut it though, you will need transdermal application. Also bear in mind that most magnesium does not reside in the blood serum, therefore is not easily tested. However, after using magnesium oil transdermally for a week, I can tell the difference and it is like night and day. This coming from someone that exercises regularly, does not eat confectionery, meditates, drinks a lot of water and does not drink or smoke.

In terms of how magnesium helps, and the mounting evidence supporting it's use, I wouldn't know where to begin because there is too much data, and masses of evidence (that is often ignored by the health system). Magnesium deficiency has links to every single thing mentioned on this thread, including Atherosclerosis and high blood pressure. It's actions in the body are also very similar to how some statins work, but without the side effects. It does things that no other medication can do period.

Anyone interested in this should read the book 'Transdermal Magnesium Therapy: A New Modality for the Maintenance of Health by Dr. Mark Sircus'

Old 02-01-2020, 09:24 PM

696 posts, read 629,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
So what in your diet changed?
I found the same results in changing the diet, Chol numbers only changed slightly. The trigly changed quite a bit (atkins-low carbs, but was hard to maintain). I'm fight multifronts, prostate & hormonal treatments, gout, BP, T2, high trigly #, and age 70. Always have been active. The last 15 years, health have been getting tougher. I am afraid of going on statins or tricor again, the pain was pretty bad. At that time, the literature said that muscle degeneration and pain was "rare".

Again, everything you mentioned has links to magnesium levels, even gout. I recommend you read the book I mentioned. The only problem with magnesium supplementation is if a person is on medication, particularly heart and / or blood pressure. This is because magnesium will often solve the core issue lowering high blood pressure, relaxing the blood vessels, and calming the heart. If a person is already on medication then it will contraindicate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness