Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 08:42 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I did a CAC scan 6 months ago, and my cholesterol wasn’t horrible (total under 200, LDL around 120). Scan came back > 100 and in the 75th percentile for my age, so cardiologist put me on Crestor (which according to TOS I will not discuss further). No issues after 6 months and my LDL dropped to around 70.
Personally I don't believe that cholesterol has any relation to coronary calcium so the pill to reduce cholesterol seems silly and potentially dangerous.

I would be interested to know if the doctor has any proof that going on that pill will do anything at all to reduce your score.

Quote:
How can this be possible??????
I have never had my cholesterol change significantly -- no matter what my weight (or my age) I believe that your body has a natural number for you and for the most part it will keep it there for good. There is also mistakes at labs (honestly I found a ton of mistakes this year I think it is due to covid lack of staffing). Also you can make a worse result by fasting or being dehydrated. They say you should only fast for 8 to 10 hours - 12 or 14 will make the numbers worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 08:43 AM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Question Lipid Meters

Glad I subscribe to this thread.

Anyone have a personal lipid meter?
Anyone goes to a lab and get tested out-of-pocket? $42 for triglycerides and Total Cholesterol
Today I was planning on ordering meter and strips, as soon as I make a phone call to the company with moe specific question. I will postpone this until I get some replies here.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:57 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
My cholesterol is very high too. My doctor told me I could eat nothing but salad, and it would still be high. It` in my genes. I am trying second meds, as the first gave me, bad muscle aches....which lasted for months.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:00 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK...looked up a thread on cholesterol because I just got lab results and I am shocked. I won't talk about those things that we are apparently not allowed to mention even though the whole point is that I don't want to take them.

But after being told in early March that my cholesterol was 244 and my LDL was 145 and the doc saying he should put me on drugs, I asked for time to try to lower it with diet.

Since then, I have lost 22 pounds (have more to go). I completely changed my way of eating. I am now the only person you know who actually eats fish at least 4 or 5 times a week, and the only person you know who actually eats 5, 6, 7 servings of vegetables a day. I can count on one hand the number of times I have eaten meat in that time.

I exercise (walking and some strength things) almost every day.

And as of Thursday, my total cholesterol is 241, and my LDL is 166.
W T F????

Do you only eat fish and vegetables? Your carb and sugar ratio may be too high for you from that many vegetables (and other foods if you include them). IOW, maybe that is not a balanced diet for you. Or, it could be something else. Type of fish can make a difference too, but so can many other things.

Using home cholesterol test kits helped me to figure out the best ratios for me. I was seeing my doctor only twice a year and that was too long to wait to find out if changes I made were working. Including other meats is good for me but not for everyone. I actually eat fish about 4 times a week. There are digital cholesterol meters now that didn't exist back then.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:04 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK...looked up a thread on cholesterol because I just got lab results and I am shocked. I won't talk about those things that we are apparently not allowed to mention even though the whole point is that I don't want to take them.

But after being told in early March that my cholesterol was 244 and my LDL was 145 and the doc saying he should put me on drugs, I asked for time to try to lower it with diet.

Since then, I have lost 22 pounds (have more to go). I completely changed my way of eating. I am now the only person you know who actually eats fish at least 4 or 5 times a week, and the only person you know who actually eats 5, 6, 7 servings of vegetables a day. I can count on one hand the number of times I have eaten meat in that time.

I exercise (walking and some strength things) almost every day.

And as of Thursday, my total cholesterol is 241, and my LDL is 166.
W T F????

My cholesterol numbers are in your range and my doctor explained that it can be hormonal. If you are post-menopause, estrogen drops and you lose the protective effect on cholesterol. He did not ask me to change my diet as I am underweight. He did put me on a couple of statins at various dosages and cholesterol dropped significantly but unfortunately they severely constipated me.

All my others numbers are great and I have low bp.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:10 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Want some high numbers?

Total...416

HDL.....131

LDL......264

TRIGL....103

Glucose...111

My doctor says all is fine since the ratios are good.

It's been that way for decades...

Old 07-13-2020, 09:39 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
^Yes, calculate your hdl ldl ratio. Some doctors are still not doing this. They only look at ldl and try to prescribe medication you may not need.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:49 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Wow, I went for my walk, and thanks for all the answers. Now I'm thinking it's hereditary. Come to find out ALL THREE of my sisters are on those unmentionable things. I didn't realize that. I have two brothers, and I'm going to ask them, too. My mother's cholesterol never went above 180, and neither did mine until five years ago--when I embarked on a vegetarian diet for two years. Then the cholesterol went up. But...cheese. One sister also takes the fish oil caps (some of my family also inherited my mother's allergy to fish, but I did not) and the CoQ10. She does fine. The one who has had side effects is also the one with the kidney disease, which is a risk factor for side effects.

I turn 62 next month, so maybe it's just a combination of genes and getting older. I really thought I could do this with diet, but maybe not. I want control, dammit!

Old 07-13-2020, 09:50 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Want some high numbers?

Total...416

HDL.....131

LDL......264

TRIGL....103

Glucose...111

My doctor says all is fine since the ratios are good.

It's been that way for decades...
Hmm, so maybe extolling to you the joys of chorizo was not a good idea...

Old 07-13-2020, 09:50 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
His decision has nothing to do with bravery. Refusing to take medications for a condition that contributes to atherosclerosis will place the poster at higher risk for heart attacks and strokes, and most probably, a shorter life.
Ok find me one study that shows proof that cholesterol causes heart attacks or strokes.

Instead of "linked".

Quote:
My cholesterol numbers are in your range and my doctor explained that it can be hormonal. If you are post-menopause, estrogen drops and you lose the protective effect on cholesterol. He did not ask me to change my diet as I am underweight. He did put me on a couple of statins at various dosages and cholesterol dropped significantly but unfortunately they severely constipated me.
It has never made sense to me that menopause is trying to hurt your health. Perhaps your body increases cholesterol because it is protective.

Perhaps your metabolism drops because you won't be having children anymore and it is trying to tell you to eat less..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness