U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 327 times

Advertisements

Hi folks

I am a chemical engineer and biomedical researcher working on a cholesterol-lowering medication in a small academic lab. Development is in very early stages - but we hope it will be a MUCH cheaper alternative to Repatha and Praluent (PCSK9-inhibitors) that will either work as a supplement to or replacement for statins. When I first began this project, I was shocked by the sticker price of many of the new monoclonal antibody options for high cholesterol.

I'd like to get insights from the user end (ie actual patients, not pharma companies or physicians) about experiences treating high cholesterol, particularly with statins and PCSK9 inhibitors but also by other means.

Does anyone have stories to share? Is it difficult to get insurance approval? Did treatment actually work for you? Was it ridiculously expensive? Any adverse effects?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 03:00 PM

24,645 posts, read 29,669,770 times
I take a statin and have done so for many years. No side effects and no copay with my Medicare Part D. Retail for a three month supply of simvastatin is less than $10.

I am female, 71, and have a horrible family history of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.

My lipid profile is excellent.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:05 PM

4,364 posts, read 8,141,749 times
My fasting cholesterol numbers are insanely high. It's a genetic thing. I don't take drugs to lower it and don't plan to.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:00 PM

10,306 posts, read 7,537,163 times
I take a low dose of a generic statin daily, no problems, no side effects. My lipid profiles are decent.

My drug plan pays for this statin entirely, no copays, so it is free to me.
I am a 72 great old female with a family history of high blood pressure (I have it as well) and have cardiac electrical system issues. Though I do not have coronary artery disease.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:08 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,459,998 times
I've been on a st*tin for many years with no side effects. Cholesterol was in the mid 200s when I started it; now it stays around 170. It's free with my Medicare. Edit: My high cholesterol isn't from my diet.

(we're not supposed to talk about st*tins around here)

Old 01-29-2020, 04:09 PM

5,812 posts, read 3,159,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kserasera View Post
Hi folks

Does anyone have stories to share? Is it difficult to get insurance approval? Did treatment actually work for you? Was it ridiculously expensive? Any adverse effects?

Thanks!
The statin lowered my metabolism--gained about seven pounds. Not happy about that. I did have to try a couple of different ones--some made me depressed (although my own research says it is caused by quickly lowering your cholesterol, some made me sleepy..) No issue getting insurance approval. Good insurance--so not expensive. It lower it enough to make my doctor happy. The older I get my body produces more cholesterol. I was up in the 300's , now lower 200's. Family history. I am not sure I believe all the hype about high cholesterol--but fear a stroke, so I take a statin for it.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:11 PM

5,812 posts, read 3,159,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My fasting cholesterol numbers are insanely high. It's a genetic thing. I don't take drugs to lower it and don't plan to.
I wish I were so brave...

Mine are genetic too.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:46 PM

10,080 posts, read 8,954,430 times
My husband and I went vegan about six months ago and he goes to get his labs done next week. I'll post back with his numbers.

He is currently on a statin.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:20 PM

355 posts, read 180,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

Mine are genetic too.
His decision has nothing to do with bravery. Refusing to take medications for a condition that contributes to atherosclerosis will place the poster at higher risk for heart attacks and strokes, and most probably, a shorter life.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:00 PM

4,364 posts, read 8,141,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

Mine are genetic too.
No, I am not brave. I am just not persuaded by drug pushers. This is a complicated subject. The best I can do is post links to views expressed by people far more educated than I am.

This is David Diamond, a researcher with a Ph.D. who had high cholesterol and wanted to do something about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc1XsO3mxX8

This is Peter Attia, a medical doctor who is into fitness and nutrition. This talk is bit a technical, but valuable to me nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GDx5sObceI

Last edited by davidt1; 01-29-2020 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness