Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 05:41 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times

Advertisements

I thought the directions they gave me were horrible. Ikea could have done a better job. I found some great tips on a "reditt" forum about colonoscopy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 08:31 AM

273 posts, read 208,175 times
Hellish? I didn't think it was a big deal at all. I drank the liquid, spent a good deal of time on the toilet, next morning had the procedure, went home. No big deal. I'm sure other people read about colonoscopies being hellish and awful and decide not to have it done.

Seriously, most people I know haven't had an issue at all. The worst part was not being able to have coffee in the morning before my procedure. I had a coffee headache. I got home, had coffee and got over it!

Old 05-07-2021, 08:02 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
I'm having my third Colonoscopy on Tuesday. Polyps run in my family and they have found them every time. I am also having an Endoscopy at the same time since I'll be all cleaned out. I've been having stomach pains and issues for over a month now and we need to get to the bottom of this asap.

They gave me pills for the first time instead of the nasty suprep drink. I was quite thrilled because drinking that garbage was the worst. I guess I'll soon know which is the better way to go, pills or nasty drink.

This is messing up my Mother's day plans since I'm supposed to only eat toast, chicken, and bananas that day. So we're celebrating mother's day tomorrow, and I'm eating foods I like, and then Sunday will just be a bland day. Monday is broth and jello. Whee!

They gave me the Michael Jackson overdose drug the last time and that was a fine sleep. The problem is that any time they put me under I get very, very sick afterward, so now they give me medicine that keeps me from barfing when I wake up. Yay!

Not looking forward to this, but it's a necessary evil.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The advice I received was perfect. Fast for two days before your colonoscopy. I did a liquid diet of protein shakes two days before, then the clear broth the day before. Prep was easy. Three times to the bathroom, no pain, done.
Prep was easy for me too, and a good side effect was that I lost seven pounds!

They said I was clean as a whistle but I'll just take their word for it. They also said I responded to and cooperated with directives from them, but I don't remember a thing and I'm OK with that. It wasn't a terrible experience and actually, the farting afterwards was funny!

Old 05-08-2021, 07:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
The drugs are the main reason I get colonoscopies.
LOL you sound like me when I go to the dentist. They always ask me if I want gas and I always say "But of course! I was born in 1962, and you're asking me if I want LEGAL drugs?" LOL

Old 05-08-2021, 09:40 AM

1,013 posts, read 725,475 times
I’ve had two and both times I woke up in the middle of the procedure, no discomfort though. The problems came afterwards both times—several days of severe constipation. Hopefully I don’t have to have any more.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:08 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
  • Because a colonoscopy incites convulsions?
  • Because an epileptic can always use extra drugs?
  • Or do you really mean that if an epileptic actually needs anesthesia for any procedure then Versed is the drug of choice due to its anticonvulsant properties?
I'd guess because the middle of a colonoscopy is a problematic time for a siezure?

Old 05-12-2021, 06:07 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.self.com/story/colonosco...y_GenericOpens

Also, ask Doc about Clenpiq (Liquid form of Prepopid, that was discontinued) Much lower volume and easier to take with less discomfort

I didn't think the article was helpful. I got better info googling the Clinpiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I agree that what one eats makes a huge difference on prep day. I ate just toast, eggs, chicken and rice for 5 days before my last one. I did the miralax, ducolax prep (I refuse to drink any of the other stuff)and was cleaned out within 2/3 hours. Easiest one yet! I hope you got a good report on yours.

Thanks, I was thinking of miralax, not their prep, it made me sick for a month. Won't try it a 2nd time. I don't eat that much so it shouldn't be that hard to clean me out. I think I'll start the day before just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I'm having my third Colonoscopy on Tuesday. Polyps run in my family and they have found them every time. I am also having an Endoscopy at the same time since I'll be all cleaned out. I've been having stomach pains and issues for over a month now and we need to get to the bottom of this asap.

They gave me pills for the first time instead of the nasty suprep drink. I was quite thrilled because drinking that garbage was the worst. I guess I'll soon know which is the better way to go, pills or nasty drink.

This is messing up my Mother's day plans since I'm supposed to only eat toast, chicken, and bananas that day. So we're celebrating mother's day tomorrow, and I'm eating foods I like, and then Sunday will just be a bland day. Monday is broth and jello. Whee!

They gave me the Michael Jackson overdose drug the last time and that was a fine sleep. The problem is that any time they put me under I get very, very sick afterward, so now they give me medicine that keeps me from barfing when I wake up. Yay!

Not looking forward to this, but it's a necessary evil.

How did you make out?

I'm going to need an endoscopy too because I'm having pain 2 inches above my belly button. I "see" the gastro June 22nd. Apparently he's the "it" gastro around here, hard to get into. Good thing I'm not dying. Not in a rush to do one either. I had a positive Cologuard test but that could be because blood was in my stool. I'm not convinced I even need a colonoscopy.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:17 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
Well I am back from the other side of the Endoscopy Colonoscopy procedures. This time they gave me suprep in pill form and I have to say I much prefer it to the drinkable nasty suprep. 12 pills taken with 16oz of water, and then a whole lot more water over the next hour and a half, really wasn't bad at all. Then repeated that same process again six hours before my procedure. I highly recommend the pills if you have the option.

They gave me propofol to knock me out. That stuff is great, I don't remember a thing. Looked at the clock and it was 11:37 and I never saw it hit 11:39. Next thing I knew I was waking up. Only difference with the endoscopy was they had me bite down on this thing so I didn't hurt my teeth when I was under.

Conclusion. Zero polyps for the first time!!! Woo hoo!!

They also found that I have mild gastritis, mild esophagitis, IBS-C and my hiatal hernia is acting up causing me reflux.

I have to go on Prilosec for the next 6 months. Take citracel every day. Eat more fruits with fiber daily. Cut out all soda and limit my chocolate. (Boo!)

Glad it's over with. Glad it wasn't colon cancer or something equally horrifying. Bummed that I have to alter my diet and I'm worried about taking the ppi long term.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:06 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Well I am back from the other side of the Endoscopy Colonoscopy procedures. This time they gave me suprep in pill form and I have to say I much prefer it to the drinkable nasty suprep. 12 pills taken with 16oz of water, and then a whole lot more water over the next hour and a half, really wasn't bad at all. Then repeated that same process again six hours before my procedure. I highly recommend the pills if you have the option.

They gave me propofol to knock me out. That stuff is great, I don't remember a thing. Looked at the clock and it was 11:37 and I never saw it hit 11:39. Next thing I knew I was waking up. Only difference with the endoscopy was they had me bite down on this thing so I didn't hurt my teeth when I was under.

Conclusion. Zero polyps for the first time!!! Woo hoo!!

They also found that I have mild gastritis, mild esophagitis, IBS-C and my hiatal hernia is acting up causing me reflux.

I have to go on Prilosec for the next 6 months. Take citracel every day. Eat more fruits with fiber daily. Cut out all soda and limit my chocolate. (Boo!)

Glad it's over with. Glad it wasn't colon cancer or something equally horrifying. Bummed that I have to alter my diet and I'm worried about taking the ppi long term.

How were the pills with using the bathroom? I hated the drink because you're going water.

How long did the pills take to work for you? I have weird medication processing issues so I'm not sure how pills would work. I'm going to try using Miralx within the new few days just to have an idea of how it works on me and how many doses I'll need to get it to work to do a clean out. I don't want any surprises when I finally do it because I want to make sure I'm good to go since my body processes stuff weird. I wouldn't be surprised if I have some form of IBS with mild constipation.

Yeah on no polyps! Boo on having to give stuff up. I'm wondering if mine will be similar with coke. No way I'm giving it up though so I'd have to live with my gut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness