U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 12:14 AM

14,035 posts, read 3,719,704 times

Advertisements

Earlier this week, when I was driving to work in the morning, a few days, I noticed some very mild pain coming from the area my heart is, Im not sure if it was actually the heart or chest muscles, it felt 'deeper' so I think it may have been coming from my heart, but it was very mild pain, almost to the point of just being annoying, it didnt reach a level that prevented me from doing anything or making me think I need to rush to the hospital.

It sort of felt like a small throbbing pain, but even the throbbing was barely noticeable, I hesitate to use the word 'throbbing' to describe it, but its the closest thing I can think of that matches what it felt like...Ive had muscle spasms that kind of felt like this, but I dont remember any pain associated with that.

Whatever it was, it didnt last too long, I noticed it went away once I got to work and got moving around, and I havent had this the past 2 days.

I should also mention that the pain DID NOT extend to either arm, it was concentrated right in the heart area of the chest, just curious if anyone else had ever experienced anything like this? I will also say I had a stress test about 15 yrs ago and they said my heart was in excellent condition back then.

Last edited by rstevens62; 02-02-2020 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 04:27 PM

9,257 posts, read 4,073,052 times
Really difficult to say and no one should be. There are conditions that can cause chest pain but aren't heart attacks.

Heart Attack and Conditions That Mimic Heart Attack: Learn About Chest Pain

If you are concerned and haven't seen your GP in a while, do it. 15 years is a long time. The cost of an office visit versus the cost of emergency hospitalization.

I had a heart attack in December. I have never had risk factors for heart disease and don't have any history. That didn't prevent a blood clot from forming and blocking a coronary artery. When it did, it caused chest pain. The pain itself wasn't bad (nothing like those dramatic chest-clutching scenes in movies), but it was different and constant. Not throbbing, more squeezing, building pressure. It didn't just stop on its own after a few minutes...it continued until EMTs started treating for it because that clot was still sitting there blocking blood flow. Other symptoms went along with it and they were actually why I finally called for help. I've been through and helped teach employer CPR and AED trainings for 35 years so I know the signs. Broke out in major sweat, dizziness, shortness of breath. I hadn't been doing anything remotely physical to cause any of that, wasn't sick with flu or a cold. It took several hours for bloodwork to verify that an attack had actually occurred. The clot was successfully cleared. I still don't have any signs of heart disease. All the diagnostic testing done at the time and subsequently couldn't explain why it all happened. It just did.

Remember the caveat: this is an anecdote. Symptoms of heart attacks vary.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-02-2020 at 05:42 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 01:45 PM

2,754 posts, read 1,478,572 times
Only your doctor knows for sure.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Only your doctor knows for sure.
Well, I tried that when I was concerned about the 4cm lump on my neck awhile back...turns out, the doctor had no idea what it was.

They did a CAT scan, needle biopsy and some other test I cannot remember at the moment, they couldnt even see it on the CAT scan, (even though they taped a little marker to the lump), and the needle biopsy said it was just white blood cells.

They did confirm it was not a cyst, acne or a boil though.

Fast forward to a few weeks later, the lump is gone.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:37 PM

1,993 posts, read 673,160 times
I had what felt like a fist in my chest squeezing. Went to the ER and the doctor thought I was having a heart attack and talking about invasive procedures. I did have a too fast erratic heartbeat but when the cardiologist got there said that the squeezing was asthma which I also didn’t know I had.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:47 PM

9,257 posts, read 4,073,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, I tried that when I was concerned about the 4cm lump on my neck awhile back...turns out, the doctor had no idea what it was.

They did a CAT scan, needle biopsy and some other test I cannot remember at the moment, they couldnt even see it on the CAT scan, (even though they taped a little marker to the lump), and the needle biopsy said it was just white blood cells.

They did confirm it was not a cyst, acne or a boil though.

Fast forward to a few weeks later, the lump is gone.
Things happen. There isn't always an explanation. Doctors aren't gods but even if they were, I suspect things would still happen.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I had what felt like a fist in my chest squeezing. Went to the ER and the doctor thought I was having a heart attack and talking about invasive procedures. I did have a too fast erratic heartbeat but when the cardiologist got there said that the squeezing was asthma which I also didn’t know I had.
That is interesting, as I do have asthma.

What i felt though, there was no erratic beating involved, just a little mild pain, it lasted maybe 10-15 minutes, and I havent experienced it again since then.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:34 AM

4,678 posts, read 2,421,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is interesting, as I do have asthma.

What i felt though, there was no erratic beating involved, just a little mild pain, it lasted maybe 10-15 minutes, and I havent experienced it again since then.
If it were me, I would have another stress test. If everything is good, then you'll know it. However, if there are any problems, you'll know that as well. As my Mom used to say, "It couldn't hurt".

Old 02-04-2020, 04:46 PM

10,516 posts, read 6,919,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
only your doctor knows for sure.

bingo!!!

Old 02-05-2020, 10:21 PM

Does anyone know if they can check to see if any of my arteries are clogged or if there is a blockage somewhere near my heart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness