Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 10:26 AM

76 posts, read 62,950 times

Advertisements

Whenever I have a cold someone says “Did you take someone”. I don’t like NyQuil, DayQuil, or Mucinex. All make me feel lightheaded and also seem to raise my blood pressure. I don’t have high blood pressure usually. I monitor it everyday since I have white coat syndrome and anxiety issues that raise it. But I don’t like to take anything to exacerbate it. People don’t understand. Do you get that also when people ask if you took anything and you said no and they act as if you are strange or irresponsible? I’ll have tea, soup, Halls, and vitamin C. Maybe a little bit of cough medicine. If I have a fever I’ll take Tylenol.

Last edited by JenniferLB75; 02-03-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 10:37 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLB75 View Post
Whenever I have a cold someone says “Did you take someone”. I don’t like NyQuil, DayQuil, or Mucinex. All make me feel lightheaded and also seem to raise my blood pressure. I don’t have high blood pressure usually. I monitor it everyday since I have white coat syndrome and anxiety issues that raise it. But I don’t like to take anything to exasperate it. People don’t understand. Do you get that also when people ask if you took anything and you said no and they act as if you are strange or irresponsible? I’ll have tea, soup, Halls, and vitamin C. Maybe a little bit of cough medicine. If I have a fever I’ll take Tylenol.
This is the story of my life. I am ultra sensitive to medications and I don't like to run to the pharmacy whenever I have a self-limiting condition like a cold. I feel that the human body can take very good care of itself, especially with minor ailments, but I constantly get the "Wow, you're weird!" look when I say I haven't taken anything.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:42 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Exacerbate.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:24 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Whenever I have a cold someone says “Did you take someone”. I don’t like NyQuil, DayQuil, or Mucinex. All make me feel lightheaded and also seem to raise my blood pressure. I don’t have high blood pressure usually. I monitor it everyday since I have white coat syndrome and anxiety issues that raise it. But I don’t like to take anything to exacerbate it. People don’t understand. Do you get that also when people ask if you took anything and you said no and they act as if you are strange or irresponsible? I’ll have tea, soup, Halls, and vitamin C. Maybe a little bit of cough medicine. If I have a fever I’ll take Tylenol.

Why do you tell them 'no' since you do take something - tea, soup, Halls, Vit C, cough medicine and Tylenol?

Just say 'yes' if they ask.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:05 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
People are making conversation and trying to help - especially if you are complaining

Old 02-03-2020, 01:16 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,950 times
I get this all the time. I'm not much for medicine and don't have any kind of "stock" at home. However, I hate answering "no" when asked because then I feel like they are thinking "Then stop complaining if you're not going to do something to help yourself!"

Old 02-03-2020, 01:21 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
People are making conversation and trying to help - especially if you are complaining
Yes, but pushing the snake oils that they do is just ignorance and it is annoying. I sympathize with the OP.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:23 PM

76 posts, read 62,950 times
But I’m not complaining. They can hear in my voice that I’m congested. A lot of times it’s just allergies but they argue that’s it’s a cold. I usually know the difference.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:10 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:

I think I'd file that question under the "none of your business" category unless it was a healthcare provider asking about it. The only cure for a cold is "tincture of time", so anything taken for a cold will only alleviate the miseries/symptoms, and I can't understand why anyone would be interested in what someone took to make him/herself feel better. Are they asking because they think you should take something?

I agree with you about the caution over using OTC cold relief meds if you have high blood pressure. I have to avoid those as well for blood pressure issues.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
But I’m not complaining. They can hear in my voice that I’m congested. A lot of times it’s just allergies but they argue that’s it’s a cold. I usually know the difference.
I suspect they are afraid you are contagious, and want to be assured you are treating your symptoms. Of course treating symptoms won’t keep you from being contagious. If you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness