U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 05:34 PM

294 posts, read 72,911 times

Advertisements

50 for me. That is when I got that funny stiff walk where every muscle/joint is stiff or sore for a few minutes after you get out of bed in the morning. So far that is it so I can't complain too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 07:13 PM

2,542 posts, read 1,103,561 times
I’ll be 65 in a few weeks and I started feeling my age a couple of years ago. Thankfully I still feel like a kid emotionally, so I’m hoping that will carry me through the process.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:15 PM

468 posts, read 341,968 times
At 28 or 29 I had a tissue tear in my shoulder. That was the awakening that aging was starting to kick in (besides the hair loss). Unfortunately, the aging process accelerates as you age. The best way I know to stymie it is through a consistent exercise program.

I just started taking kickboxing and self-defense classes at age 63. I thought I was fit, at least for my age. I encountered a rude awakening as I found myself twisting, kicking and jumping around like I haven't done since I was a child. My hips and lower back reminded me I'm 63. At least I'm still able to recover after a couple days. I'm testing my body to see if it can still acclimate to new physical stresses.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:33 PM

2,185 posts, read 895,783 times
Around 35 was when I started to feel like I was aging. My metabolism was slowing down. When I was doing aerobics at home and I had to pump my arms up and down, I got tired MUCH faster than in my 20s.

I'm 41 and the same movement makes me tired even faster. Man, my body feels so stiff. So throughout the day, I make sure to raise my arms above my head so my muscles won't get stiff. I also find myself taking shorter strides when walking, so I consciously take longer strides for the same reason, and to help maintain my limbs' range of movement.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:44 PM

17,360 posts, read 13,146,303 times
August, 2006 - one morning when I saw something in the mirror ---and it never went away.
But, each day I walk somewhere and say, Man do I feel good!

Minerals- take your multi minerals.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:55 PM

5,064 posts, read 3,994,760 times
I turned 60 in 2007, and by that point was on medication for high blood pressure and atrial fibrillation. I had occasional gout episodes from my medications. But I felt pretty much the same way I had when I was 40. I worked out regularly at the gym. Over the next ten years, I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery, and hernia repair surgery. I had to have a prostate biopsy and discovered I have low-grade prostate cancer. I'm now 73, and I've also found that:

* I can no longer stay up late and not pay for it the next day
* It takes several days to recover from staying up all night
* If I throw out my back, it can take a month to recover from it
* I have bags under my eyes and my face is starting to look old
* My hair and beard are white and I've lost a lot on top
* I have to keep nose and ear hair and eyebrows trimmed
* My skin sags and has lost its elasticity, and my arms are crepey
* I don't have the energy I used to have at the age of 40 - or even 50
* My short-term memory isn't what it used to be - I have to compensate for it

So the turning point for me was sometime in my 60s but it was a gradual process rather than a sudden realization. Other than that, I don't feel any different than I did when I was 25. On the plus side, I've grown into a Cute and Friendly Old Man rather than a Crotchety Old Geezer.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:06 PM

1,053 posts, read 329,482 times
I'm in my early forties and (knock on wood), I pretty much feel as I always did. No problems getting out of bed in the morning, can easily work twelve-hour days on my feet with few breaks, am rarely ill and never for long when I am, etc. I have more "get up and go" than my twenty-seven year old renter.

The only time that I'm aware of my age is that I cannot stay up as late as I once did and not pay for it the day after the day after. (The first day I think that I run on pure adrenaline, but the second day it all seems to catch up with me.) For some unknown reason, I also can no longer sit and watch t.v. in the late afternoon or evening without falling asleep partway through a show.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 02-03-2020 at 09:34 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 11:09 PM

9,424 posts, read 5,827,258 times
I feel as though I've gone back in time.

I'm 66. Two weeks ago I got out of bed and couldn't stand on my right leg without holding onto something. Knee very painful, particularly the space behind the knee. It gave me trouble for years but nothing like this.

Went to see an ortho, who gave me a cortisone shot in the knee. I am now 20 years younger. OK, OK, not really, but I feel that way. I move easily and quickly without limping or worrying constantly about taking a wrong step. I have a new attitude. I smile a lot and laugh. I think the younger me shows, too, because I went to a Meetup today and men were hitting on me.

Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

1,035 posts, read 408,249 times
In my late 40s I was working a fairly physical job. I started noticing that I was using my weekends to rest and recover, where in years past I wouldn't have even felt it. I was playing on a new (ice) hockey team as a goalie and I took a random week off work for vacation, and a teammate commented that I had a really good game. I realized later that it was because I had rested for a few days before that game and was just more energetic and focused.

This past year I took a less physical position at work, so I can still be as active as I like in my leisure time. My hobbies are important to me, and I don't want to have to be a sloth on the weekends so I can survive my weekdays.

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

788 posts, read 279,868 times
People never know how old I am, until they hear me get up from a chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or