U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 05:25 PM

2,586 posts, read 2,146,164 times

Advertisements

34-years old.

I'm currently in better shape overall NOW than I was at 24 but I also feel a little bit older. The only noticeable difference is lifting weights/body weight exercises. I can do pull ups and dips much more easily today but load bearing exercises like standard back squats....can't use nearly as much weight (goblet squats are a good alternative).

Don't really have soreness, back pain etc. I know a lot of people that do at my age. That seems to coincide with a decrease in physical activity. Everyone at my gym is either college-aged in their early 20's or aged 40+ trying to stay/get back into shape. The 30's crowd doesn't appear as prominent and that's usually when people start to noticeably slow down.

I think my goal is to lose 1 lb/year or so as I age. Maintaining extra mass, even muscle is difficult. Down 40 lbs so far (225 to 185 lbs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 05:45 PM

10,339 posts, read 7,555,441 times
I feel like the very surprised 20 year old trapped in a 72 year old body.

Mentally, I still feel like a spring chicken, but when I look in the mirror, in the medicine cabinet and see all those prescription
med bottles (mainly to control high blood pressure and runaway tachycardia), with my name on them, or see my calendar peppered with doctor appointments, that is when the reality sets in.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,343,460 times
I was just thinking of this the other day. I am 63, I asked myself, do I feel any different than when I was 40. The answer was no. I have been very fortunate, no major problems, nothing that interferes with daily routines. I take one Rx for a minor arrhythmia.

I do exercises every day to avoid back and knee problems. Miss a few days and I know it.

Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM

762 posts, read 248,899 times
I still look very young for my age and I am in overall good health. However, I returned to dance and ballet when I was 43 (I am 47 now) after a 20 year hiatus and I definitely realized I am older lol. I don't have the ridiculous flexibility I had as a teen, though I can still do splits front to back. My knees don't have as much spring. I get sore more easily.

The main thing though is my bones are so bad. I went through surgical menopause at age 33, though have been on hrt the whole time. I went through anorexia nervosa for six years from age 36 to 42 and the two combined excelerated bone loss. My stamina is great, energy great, I love dancing and have still been able to improve technique etc, but my poor bones can not keep up. I am nursing yet more stress fractures in legs again. Sighs. This is number 3 and 4 in the last two years. I could do hours of pointe work and rehearsals at age 18 with no issues. I'm definitely going to have to transition to less jarring exercise so I am not in a wheelchair by the time I am 50.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM

74,211 posts, read 86,586,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
TWO glasses works even better!
Too bad we don't live next door to each other: On the other hand that might not be a good idea.

Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

1,153 posts, read 707,099 times
70's

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

11,980 posts, read 5,610,960 times
Just turned 65 and other than a few minor issues, I don't feel my age yet except when I wake up in the morning and my back is unhappy. But hey, I survived both breast & thyroid cancer and I'm still here so I can't complain.

The weird thing, and I think I can speak for most seniors, is that inside I still feel like I'm 30.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

11 posts, read 8,781 times
Exactly how I feel. I don't know how I am supposed to feel at my age. I don't always feel old but clearly I am. Why wasn't this an issue when we are younger? Are we simply less aware of how it is supposed to feel to be 72 ?

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM

10 posts, read 2,639 times
Well for me it was 35 but now in my 60's I only thought I felt bad then.
There's a old saying if it don't hurt,it don't work.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

4,241 posts, read 1,919,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I am turning 35 and I am not saying I am old at all, in fact I still think very young, but, I am starting to realize that my body certainly is starting to age.

In the past 6 months:
- I realized I can no longer run as I started to have knee problems
- My voice is starting to change becoming raspier and hoarse
- I broke my rib
- My sex drive while still good is nowhere near it was 5-10 years ago

Curious when people started to realize "hey I am starting to age now".

I think that's about when it started. Had to shake the feeling that something was off a bit and realize my new normal is going to involve me taking better care of myself. Getting in physical activity. Playing it safer with the body. Buying better shoes. Take some time to identify and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or