Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 05:27 PM

417 posts, read 816,368 times

Advertisements

Sadly, it was confirmed that I have a small labral tear in my hip. The different doctors and physical therapists I had seen were certain it wasn't a tear, because I didn't experience pain during the range of motion tests they were giving me. I have been getting physical therapy for the past three weeks and the swelling is down, and I can walk again without a limp, and usually without more than a tiny twinge of occasional pain.

The problem is that I'm an avid tennis player. The two times prior to starting PT when I have gotten the swelling down, the pain came back when I started playing. I haven't tried playing while I've been in physical therapy, as I've been told to stay away from the courts for now. I'm hoping that PT, along with stretching and possibly trying to change my footwork and stance, can keep the pain away. But I remain skeptical and concerned, because of the sudden movements that have to be made during the game. I only play doubles, no singles, so that may help. But if the pain returns, I may have to decide between giving up the game I love and having arthroscopic surgery to repair the tear. I really would prefer not to go the surgical route, if possible, because hip arthroscopy is still so new, doesn't always have the best results, and I can do other activities without much issue - it's just the tennis (so far) that has caused issues.

Have any of you had a labral tear, and managed your pain through physical therapy alone? I know that the tear won't repair itself, only surgery can do that, but I'm looking for some success stories to see if I actually may have a chance to get back to tennis without having to make a difficult decision about my body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 11:18 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Not the same but still similar for my mother years ago. Torn rotator cuff. PT never did a thing. I've been going twice a week with no success for arthritis in the rotator cuff. I did get some relief in the lower back by strengthening the muscles around a bad spot in the vertebra. Over the years it has always been an iffy. Surgery is a last resort still. From school days we were taught to rest a joint but work a muscle for healing.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:49 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,218 times
I had bilateral labral tears as a result of FAI (femorolacetabular impingement). In my case, PT wasn't successful until the underlying cause was addressed. I saw a top FAI specalist. Not all orthos. are familiar with FAI (if that's what caused yours). Good luck!

Old 02-07-2020, 07:45 PM

29 posts, read 120,238 times
Default What was the outcome of your FAI/labral tear?

What happened to your injury? I am super interested, since I am in the exact same situation as you (FAI, labral tear, some osteoarthritis in the hip, and an AVID tennis player since I was 6 yrs old).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
Sadly, it was confirmed that I have a small labral tear in my hip. The different doctors and physical therapists I had seen were certain it wasn't a tear, because I didn't experience pain during the range of motion tests they were giving me. I have been getting physical therapy for the past three weeks and the swelling is down, and I can walk again without a limp, and usually without more than a tiny twinge of occasional pain.

The problem is that I'm an avid tennis player. The two times prior to starting PT when I have gotten the swelling down, the pain came back when I started playing. I haven't tried playing while I've been in physical therapy, as I've been told to stay away from the courts for now. I'm hoping that PT, along with stretching and possibly trying to change my footwork and stance, can keep the pain away. But I remain skeptical and concerned, because of the sudden movements that have to be made during the game. I only play doubles, no singles, so that may help. But if the pain returns, I may have to decide between giving up the game I love and having arthroscopic surgery to repair the tear. I really would prefer not to go the surgical route, if possible, because hip arthroscopy is still so new, doesn't always have the best results, and I can do other activities without much issue - it's just the tennis (so far) that has caused issues.

Have any of you had a labral tear, and managed your pain through physical therapy alone? I know that the tear won't repair itself, only surgery can do that, but I'm looking for some success stories to see if I actually may have a chance to get back to tennis without having to make a difficult decision about my body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness