U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:48 PM

500 posts, read 968,945 times

Advertisements

So, I've just been diagnosed with POTS: postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. I'm really surprised that this diagnoses hasn't come up on this forum, but at the same time it's quite rare.
I have been dealing with blood pressure and heart issues for years and finally have a diagnoses, although being diagnosed with POTS is a real shock. One, because I don't fit the typical profile, and secondly it will never get better, which is really hard to wrap my head around.

I have to drink a gallon of water every day (20 glasses if you include the electrolytes that I must have), consume more salt and exercise, which I am unable to do.

If you have dizzy/lightheaded problems along with a racing pulse, check out POTS. POTS has been around for awhile, but very few doctors seem to be aware of it. Typically one is diagnosed by a cardiologist, which was true for me. It used to be called the fainting disease because if you have POTS you are so lightheaded/dizzy that you are often, on a daily basis, feeling that you are going to faint.

I have gone to the POTS clinic at Johns Hopkins and they have been very helpful. I have my follow up appt. next week so I'll see what I have to do next, although as I mentioned there is no cure.
It's also known as dysautonomia, a dysfunction of our automatic systems, which are systems like digestion, heat and cold regulation, etc.

Last edited by seethelight; Today at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:36 PM

15,377 posts, read 20,469,988 times
There have been quite a few posts about POTS over the years. All you have to do is an Advanced Search for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/sear...rchid=38700389
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness