U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 11:21 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,015,516 times

Advertisements

Son if a gun. I had a palpitations episode on Friday night. Not too bad but enough to worry me. At least when it happens, I know I am good for another couple of weeks before it happens again. Unfortunately, it is happening again today. My cardiologist didn’t want to consider a physiologist unless this happens a few times a week. Maybe it is getting worse and he will send me. This sucks, I have my sister and nieces over with their kids and they are all enjoying a new giant water slide we just bought and I have to sit in the den alone because I can’t enjoy myself and I am coughing every minute. Not a good way to live. Oh, the kicker... my central air stopped working on a hot 85 degree day. Fun times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 12:26 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,955,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Son if a gun. I had a palpitations episode on Friday night. Not too bad but enough to worry me. At least when it happens, I know I am good for another couple of weeks before it happens again. Unfortunately, it is happening again today. My cardiologist didn’t want to consider a physiologist unless this happens a few times a week. Maybe it is getting worse and he will send me. This sucks, I have my sister and nieces over with their kids and they are all enjoying a new giant water slide we just bought and I have to sit in the den alone because I can’t enjoy myself and I am coughing every minute. Not a good way to live. Oh, the kicker... my central air stopped working on a hot 85 degree day. Fun times.
Did your cardiologist ever tell you just what it was they saw on the monitor?

Hope you can get the AC fixed soon. I know heat may aggrevate palpitations if you are prone to them. Your heart rate naturally increases anyway when you get hot to increase the circulation and cool you down, and that might aggrevate the palpitations. I can't even remember the number of times it happened to me over the years. Keep yourself hydrated and as cool as possible.

I understand the frustration and worry when this happens to you, but you'll waste all that time worrying when you could be outside with your family having fun. If you're supposed to take a pill to stop the paps, do it, relax as long as you need to, then get back out and enjoy your company.

When do you see your cardiologist again?

Old 06-28-2020, 03:48 PM

4,050 posts, read 1,580,998 times
Quote:
... and I am coughing every minute.....

I haven't really been following this thread, but vaguely recall something about palpitations and cough...Did they ever do a CT/MRI or even just a plain CXR to evaluate your mediastinum (area between the lungs)? ...The cough suggests vagus nerve irritation, which can also affect heart rate & rhythm.....Actually, even something in your belly irritating the diaphragm can therefore affect the vagus….When you can't find something, maybe you're looking in the wrong place.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:21 PM

The AC was fixed a few hours later, thanks. I took half a Bystolic and laid On my Den floor til it passed an hour later. I can’t be around people when this happens. I’m like an animal that goes off to die alone. I never had a CT Scan for this. The monitor showed (the one time it happened in two weeks I wore it) that my lower ventricle beat either early or late, which triggered the palpitations. I saw my cardiologist in May and said he wanted me back in three months. So, August is my next visit.

I may go for a second opinion. I am calling my friend’s cardiologist tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:34 PM

6,648 posts, read 3,049,818 times
A scan wouldnt do much for palpations. The monitor showed why you are having them...I wouldnt worry plus youre seeing him again in a few weeks. Christ, I had to wait more than that for my doc to see me and Im on my second open heart surgery.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:25 AM

I woke up at 5 am this morning and it has been happening for the past hour. I just took my Bystolic pill. So, this is three times in 5 days. My cardiologist said if these palpitations started to happen a few times a week then he would be concerned. Well, I finally made it to the next plateau. I’ll call my cardiologist today to let him know the good news.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
A scan wouldnt do much for palpations. .
Let me spell it out for you: A scan of the mediastinum might find a tumor there-->tumor involves the vagus nerve, which runs thru the mediastinum--> irritation of the vagus nerve can cause cough and also slows the heart rate-->some PVCs are rate dependent, ie- they show up when the HR goes down.

Vagus nerve also runs below the diaphragm into the abdomen and also up the neck, behind the ear to the brain, so pathology anywhere along that course could be the source of the problem....Probability of this is low, but we do need to explain the apparent association of cough + palpitations....More likely one disease causes multiple symptoms than multiple diseases occurring simultaneously.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:04 AM

Wow. My understanding is that the palpitations are causing the cough And not the other way around, I never have the cough without the palpitations though. I mentioned to my cardiologist a while back that I cough and said, that makes sense.

I called to make an appointment with another cardiologist to get a second opinion yesterday. He is booked solid til end mid August so I have to wait awhile. I also called my cardiologist to let them know that I am having the palpitations multiple times per week now, which he told me to do. They said they will give him that message but I never heard back from them. We’ll see what happens.

Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

Quote:

I called to make an appointment with another cardiologist to get a second opinion yesterday. .
I made a diagnosis once on a patient and he wasn't happy about it. He said he wanted a second opinion..."OK," I said. " I also think you're ugly."

Second opinions never hurt. Sometimes docs get so invested in their diagnosis that they don't see other possibilities.

Cough does not cause palpitations nor do palpitations cause cough. Both are symptoms of an underlying problem. While my suggestion about tumors causing irritation of the Vagus nerve rarely really occurs, heart disease that causes an increase in fluid in the lungs can commonly cause cough. Patients with that are usually sick with diminished exercise tolerance, shortness of breath and edema of the legs, etc.(CHF) Cardiomyopathy of any cause often has both cough (CHF) & PVCs.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM

Even though the cough only occurs during the palpitations? It seems to correspond with the palpitations. I will feel a blip in my heart and I then cough. I never cough otherwise so I don’t think I have two separate issues. What type of doctor looks at the vagus nerve? Maybe I should see that kind of physician. What would I tell them and what kid if test would they give?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness