U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2020, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
3,964 posts, read 9,681,251 times
Reputation: 4652

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I'm a recently retired internist. I had serious PVC's/palpitations for about 3 years. I found this neat cellphone app/gizmo. And with it you can monitor your palpitations.

Kardia

https://www.alivecor.com/kardiamobile
I saw that one and it came highly recommended but the version that stores the data was more expensive so I opted for the Emay and I’m very happy with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2020, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis, East Side
1,399 posts, read 721,158 times
Reputation: 3491
Low electrolytes can cause heart palpitations. I'm going through them off and on.
  • Tests can be within a normal but not optimal range.
  • As other have mentioned, magnesium is crucial for muscular and other function (including your heart). There's no magnesium in Pedialyte. There's potassium, but you need adequate Mg to absorb it.
  • Think about getting an electrolyte mix with magnesium, or some magnesium citrate supplements. (Magnesium oxide is just a laxative.)
  • Think about adding salt. Unless your blood pressure is high and you find that salt raises it, some salt might help.
  • You'll know you've had too much magnesium if you get diarrhea.
  • Lack of iron can cause palpitations, though it's less common in men. If in doubt, have your ferritin tested.
  • Drinking plain water is just going to dilute your electrolytes.
  • Have you changed your diet? If you're doing low-carb, your body flushes out magnesium and potassium, and heart palpitations can be a result.

Adrenal problems--too high or too low cortisol--can cause palpitations. You can order a 24-hour saliva test on your own if you're having problems like fatigue, being either tired or wide awake at the wrong time of day, frequent colds, lots of stress, or sex hormone problems. Generations ago, low-dose cortisol was used to help with these problems, but doctors today call adrenal fatigue a made-up illness.

Thyroid problems can also cause palpitations. If you have fatigue, hair loss, unexplained weight gain, depression/apathy, puffy eyes, you may have thyroid problems--which are very common. You'll need to have free T3, free T4 and antibodies tested. Your free T3 and free T4 should be in the upper half of the reference range. You can order these tests yourself in most states.

Work from upstream first: electrolytes, then adrenals, then thyroid. Good luck.

Please note--I'm not a medical professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2020, 08:47 PM
 
9,783 posts, read 4,295,258 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Low electrolytes can cause heart palpitations. I'm going through them off and on.
  • Tests can be within a normal but not optimal range.
  • As other have mentioned, magnesium is crucial for muscular and other function (including your heart). There's no magnesium in Pedialyte. There's potassium, but you need adequate Mg to absorb it.
  • Think about getting an electrolyte mix with magnesium, or some magnesium citrate supplements. (Magnesium oxide is just a laxative.)
  • Think about adding salt. Unless your blood pressure is high and you find that salt raises it, some salt might help.
  • You'll know you've had too much magnesium if you get diarrhea.
  • Lack of iron can cause palpitations, though it's less common in men. If in doubt, have your ferritin tested.
  • Drinking plain water is just going to dilute your electrolytes.
  • Have you changed your diet? If you're doing low-carb, your body flushes out magnesium and potassium, and heart palpitations can be a result.

Adrenal problems--too high or too low cortisol--can cause palpitations. You can order a 24-hour saliva test on your own if you're having problems like fatigue, being either tired or wide awake at the wrong time of day, frequent colds, lots of stress, or sex hormone problems. Generations ago, low-dose cortisol was used to help with these problems, but doctors today call adrenal fatigue a made-up illness.

Thyroid problems can also cause palpitations. If you have fatigue, hair loss, unexplained weight gain, depression/apathy, puffy eyes, you may have thyroid problems--which are very common. You'll need to have free T3, free T4 and antibodies tested. Your free T3 and free T4 should be in the upper half of the reference range. You can order these tests yourself in most states.

Work from upstream first: electrolytes, then adrenals, then thyroid. Good luck.

Please note--I'm not a medical professional.
I am, and you're pretty much on base here.

When I started weaning off cardiac meds for my PVC's, I took OTC magnesium and that helped ease the transition. Even though my serum MG++ level was normal. And like you say, too much mag = diarrhea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 10:49 AM
 
1,386 posts, read 735,594 times
Reputation: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Look up Dr Sanjay Gupta on YouTube. He is a cardiologist practicing in York, England, and he's extremely reassuring.
Are there 2 Sanjay Guptas? --> Dr. Sanjay Gupta is a neurosurgeon in Atlanta, Georgia and is affiliated with multiple hospitals in the area, including Emory University Hospital and Grady Memorial Hospital-Atlanta. He received his medical degree from University of Michigan Medical School and has been in practice for more than 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 10:56 AM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,341 posts, read 6,568,092 times
Reputation: 9684
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Are there 2 Sanjay Guptas? --> Dr. Sanjay Gupta is a neurosurgeon in Atlanta, Georgia and is affiliated with multiple hospitals in the area, including Emory University Hospital and Grady Memorial Hospital-Atlanta. He received his medical degree from University of Michigan Medical School and has been in practice for more than 20 years.
Yes, there are 2. The one we're talking about is not the one well known on radio and TV here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 08:06 PM
 
4,379 posts, read 8,167,618 times
Reputation: 6304
Yep Gupta offers good advice. Heart attacks can kill anyone. A relative died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 47. He was an ER doctor and a picture of health. Just dropped dead during one of his daily run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2020, 08:37 AM
 
1,383 posts, read 920,230 times
Reputation: 2688
It seems like there are so many things that can cause palpitations. And it could be anything from low levels of this or that, dehydration, thyroid or other organs. How can they ever really know? A few people I work with think it is stress and now, panic attacks, which I never had before.

Since last Saturday night’s episode of 6 hours of palpitations and me sitting outside of an ER, it disappeared until Thursday. A very stressful day, in which I was finishing a big send off video for a co worker who was retiring after 37 years. There was a lot at stake being in front of over 100 coworkers. Luckily, it all went perfectly and was a huge hit. Then, when all was done, and all the worry was behind, the palpitations began. I almost had to leave the event multiple times over the next 3 hours because I was afraid I would keel over and ruin the night for everyone. After I left, I was going to go to the ER but I made it home. Then, yesterday, there was a final lunch get together for everyone that couldn’t make the big one. I had major palpitations. This time was different though. This time, as I was talking to a woman, I couldn’t talk at times. Mid sentence, some palpitations would stop my words, causing me to cough.

I bought the Kardia Mobile as suggested. I will open it today and see what it shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2020, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis, East Side
1,399 posts, read 721,158 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
It seems like there are so many things that can cause palpitations. And it could be anything from low levels of this or that, dehydration, thyroid or other organs. How can they ever really know? A few people I work with think it is stress and now, panic attacks, which I never had before.
Try electrolytes first. They're upstream from other functions and easiest to fix. Get an electrolyte mix and throw some salt in it (as long as salt doesn't raise your blood pressure too high). Take a few glasses a day and salt your food to taste.

It sounds like your problem is stress-related. Your adrenal glands are responsible for dealing with stress, and they need adequate salt to work. If they're rundown, you'll also need a lot of rest to get back to normal. Get at least eight hours' sleep every night and only do mild exercise like walking or restorative yoga if you feel up to it.

If the electrolytes and salt don't fix your problem, get a ferritin test and a 24-hour cortisol test. In most states, you can order these yourself.

Again, I'm not a medical professional. My advice is based on my own reading and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
10,361 posts, read 7,580,890 times
Reputation: 15833
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
It seems like there are so many things that can cause palpitations. And it could be anything from low levels of this or that, dehydration, thyroid or other organs. How can they ever really know? A few people I work with think it is stress and now, panic attacks, which I never had before.

Since last Saturday night’s episode of 6 hours of palpitations and me sitting outside of an ER, it disappeared until Thursday. A very stressful day, in which I was finishing a big send off video for a co worker who was retiring after 37 years. There was a lot at stake being in front of over 100 coworkers. Luckily, it all went perfectly and was a huge hit. Then, when all was done, and all the worry was behind, the palpitations began. I almost had to leave the event multiple times over the next 3 hours because I was afraid I would keel over and ruin the night for everyone. After I left, I was going to go to the ER but I made it home. Then, yesterday, there was a final lunch get together for everyone that couldn’t make the big one. I had major palpitations. This time was different though. This time, as I was talking to a woman, I couldn’t talk at times. Mid sentence, some palpitations would stop my words, causing me to cough.

I bought the Kardia Mobile as suggested. I will open it today and see what it shows.
Good. At least you will hopefully be able to take EKGs reading during your palpitations, you can email or show them to your cardiologist, who can take it from there.


You really do need to have this evaluated by a professional with experience in cardiac electrophysiology. As you have discovered, you will get a myriad of suggestions and opinions about what's happening from those around you including the internet and real life "armchair cardiology experts". But to see what's happening to you, find the causes and take appropriate action to manage your problems you need a real life professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2020, 07:52 PM
 
3,226 posts, read 1,211,277 times
Reputation: 3715
That’s great that you can now check your ekg when having those palpitations as someone who has had AFib and was in hospital for it, thankfully it went back to normal by itself. But as someone else said earlier I’m taking metropolol and aspirin for it. I can tell you that since 5hat episode I suffer from anxiety attacks that makes me feel that I’m at the start of a heart attack. I watch online videos and now can control them with meditation and breathing techniques.

Your issues might be a physical problem like afib but from your descriptions I think you might also be suffering from anxiety attacks that will make you physically feel those same symptoms you mentioned.

Try looking into anxiety attacks and how to control them

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top