U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 02:12 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,007,007 times

Advertisements

Ok. Had a normal day. Nothing stressful. Did something I love doing all day. Went to bed at 2 am. Played a YouTube channel that claims instant relief of stress and anxiety, just as a precaution. Heart started pumping a bit. Fell asleep for a few minutes. Woke up with heart thumping lie, crazy. So much for stress and anxiety. This is physical. Opened my Kardi Mobile connected it. Heart was jumping. Took the 6 lead and 2 lead and guess what? I have no thrum abnormaliites in my heart rate. Really? Then what the heck am I feeling. It’s not in my head. I could feel the bed vibrating with the beats. So, I am not sure what to do with this info from the app but it sure doesn’t make me feel any better. My heart has been palpitating for 2 hours now. I can’t stay up all night but now I am going to go park outside the ER again because I am waiting for this thing to explode. I never had anxiety attacks or panic attacks but this crap is sure giving them to me. So, the anxiety is the results, not the cause. If I hung someone from a rope out of a helicopter for 2 hours, you better believe that person is going to have anxiety of being hung from a helicopter in the sky. That is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 07:46 AM

10,548 posts, read 4,580,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Ok. Had a normal day. Nothing stressful. Did something I love doing all day. Went to bed at 2 am. Played a YouTube channel that claims instant relief of stress and anxiety, just as a precaution. Heart started pumping a bit. Fell asleep for a few minutes. Woke up with heart thumping lie, crazy. So much for stress and anxiety. This is physical. Opened my Kardi Mobile connected it. Heart was jumping. Took the 6 lead and 2 lead and guess what? I have no thrum abnormaliites in my heart rate. Really? Then what the heck am I feeling. It’s not in my head. I could feel the bed vibrating with the beats. So, I am not sure what to do with this info from the app but it sure doesn’t make me feel any better. My heart has been palpitating for 2 hours now. I can’t stay up all night but now I am going to go park outside the ER again because I am waiting for this thing to explode. I never had anxiety attacks or panic attacks but this crap is sure giving them to me. So, the anxiety is the results, not the cause. If I hung someone from a rope out of a helicopter for 2 hours, you better believe that person is going to have anxiety of being hung from a helicopter in the sky. That is normal.
Were you having palpitations during your EKG?

You could just have chest wall muscle spams.

You might have to take your pulse manually when you feel the palpitations and decide whether it is steady or not.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:36 AM

6,415 posts, read 4,202,782 times
Quote:
It seems like there are so many things that can cause palpitations. And it could be anything from low levels of this or that, dehydration, thyroid or other organs. How can they ever really know? A few people I work with think it is stress and now, panic attacks, which I never had before.

Since last Saturday night’s episode of 6 hours of palpitations and me sitting outside of an ER, it disappeared until Thursday. A very stressful day, in which I was finishing a big send off video for a co worker who was retiring after 37 years. There was a lot at stake being in front of over 100 coworkers. Luckily, it all went perfectly and was a huge hit. Then, when all was done, and all the worry was behind, the palpitations began. I almost had to leave the event multiple times over the next 3 hours because I was afraid I would keel over and ruin the night for everyone. After I left, I was going to go to the ER but I made it home. Then, yesterday, there was a final lunch get together for everyone that couldn’t make the big one. I had major palpitations. This time was different though. This time, as I was talking to a woman, I couldn’t talk at times. Mid sentence, some palpitations would stop my words, causing me to cough.

I bought the Kardia Mobile as suggested. I will open it today and see what it shows.
Mine also tend to ramp up after a high-stress situation. I'm fine during the situation, but as soon as the adrenaline wears off, my heart goes flippity-flop for a few days. Also, I'll feel it at the end of a busy day once I'm finally relaxing on the couch or laying in bed. My doctor said that this is common in people who can feel their PVCs. Something like 70 percent of people have them, but only a relatively small percentage can feel them. Being aware of them is what's abnormal, not having them.

Of course, that only applies if you have benign PVCs/PACs. See if you can get the holter monitor to wear for a day or two so they can hopefully catch a few of them during the reading.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
What is your pulse rate? Are you feeling irregular beats or pounding? Either way, you're hyper-attuned to your heart now, so any rhythm difference will be magnified. Realize that we ALL have rhythm differences at times, though... so what you are feeling is not necessarily anything abnormal. I don't think that parking outside of the ER is a healthy response to this. If you have not had any actual symptoms (passing out, chest pain, shortness of breath) to this point, it's very unlikely that you're just going to drop dead in the middle of the night. And if you do, being parked in your car outside of the ER is not going to be of any help to you.

As far as it not being in your head: Your mind can do very odd things to your physical body. Once, I went to a new doctor and was told that my blood pressure was high. I said yes, I know, it's always high the first time I see a new doctor. She seemed to be very concerned, though, and said I should come back in a couple of weeks to check it again. So I did. And while waiting for the nurse to come in and take it, I was trying to relax but my heart was pounding because I was worried that I had high blood pressure. So of course you can imagine that when she did finally come in, my bp was again high. The doctor said, "let's have you wear this blood pressure cuff for 24 hours so we can see how high your bp is when you're in your own environment." Would you believe that I did not have one high reading over 24 hours? I was diagnosed with white coat hypertension and that was the end of it. After that, my readings were not high even in the office.

Obviously I cannot control my blood pressure (in terms of making it go up or down with mental persuasion), but the hypertension was, in fact, stemming from my thoughts. Your mind can ABSOLUTELY prompt you to feel normal mild irregularities with your heart rate or make you hyper-aware of your heart beating. Not saying that this is necessarily what's happening, of course. But if you're having benign ectopic beats, your hyperarousal and anxiety over them can make them seem 100 times worse than they really are.

Go get checked out by your cardiologist and stop driving to the ER in the middle of the night. That seems to be becoming a compulsion of sorts and you should get a handle on that so it doesn't become a regular thing. If you're cleared by a medical doctor, then you need to make the choice to continue living your life and sleeping in your own bed.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:02 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,007,007 times
I didn’t have a stressful day at all. It was quite enjoyable. So, it wasn’t a lull after stress. And what makes no sense to me at all is how random it is. Nearly every day is a continuation of the next, I was doing yesterday what I had been doing every day for weeks and it only happened 3 or 4 times. I seriously do not think I have been getting these all along and only now I am noticing them. I definitely never had these palpitations before or if I did, they must have been so minimal that they could not be detected.

The most disturbing thing is that even with this kardia thing, it is telling me I am totally normal during all of these palpitations. Same thing happened at the hospital. I would love to know that it is a muscle but would that cause me to cough and not be able to get words out? Isn’t the heart a muscle?

I am worried about going to cardiologists because I am afraid they will say it’s this or that just because they think it is and do some surgery on me that probably wont be necessary. I work in IT. The nest way to troubleshoot things is to reproduce the error. I cannot do this here. This is totally random and happens with no rhyme or reason if this is something I have to live with, I would prefer not to I would never truly enjoy anything ever again because I will worry about it kicking in at any moment and even if it isn’t dangerous, it sure feels like it is while it is happening. I imagine it is similar to water boarding where you feel like you are going to drown but, you won’t, but it sure is uncomfortable.

I know, every will think it is anxiety, and yes, my only anxiety in my life is this happening, but it came from somewhere. I surely wasn’t worried about this or even thinking about it until it happened. I will grab the monitor tomorrow and I am returning this thing. It is of no use to me.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:08 AM

Ask for a holter monitor. Nobody is going to do surgery to treat a palpitation if they can't identify it. The vast majority of palpitations are benign... but if you're having them most days, then a 48-hour holter should be able to detect it. And if nothing is detected, then it could be something with your esophagus, your stomach, your throat, etc. Even GERD (heartburn) can cause the heart to pound. I don't know anything about the monitor you have, but I'd trust one prescribed and interpreted by a doctor more than one I ordered off of the internet. Good luck with this! I know how troubling it can be.

ETA: Not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can also get a monitor (from the doctor) that you carry with you and place on your chest when you are having the palpitations. You can keep it for 30 days or something like that. If you're not having them consistently enough for a holter to be of use, your cardiologist will probably offer you that. Or ask for that if he doesn't offer it.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:17 AM

10,548 posts, read 4,580,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Ask for a holter monitor. Nobody is going to do surgery to treat a palpitation if they can't identify it. The vast majority of palpitations are benign... but if you're having them most days, then a 48-hour holter should be able to detect it. And if nothing is detected, then it could be something with your esophagus, your stomach, your throat, etc. Even GERD (heartburn) can cause the heart to pound. I don't know anything about the monitor you have, but I'd trust one prescribed and interpreted by a doctor more than one I ordered off of the internet. Good luck with this! I know how troubling it can be.

ETA: Not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can also get a monitor (from the doctor) that you carry with you and place on your chest when you are having the palpitations. You can keep it for 30 days or something like that. If you're not having them consistently enough for a holter to be of use, your cardiologist will probably offer you that. Or ask for that if he doesn't offer it.
I'm a recently retired internist and use the Kardia gizmo/app myself and have recommended it to patients. A doc should of course review and examine any patient, and can easily also view and discuss the Kardia data/tracing. Even an untrained eye can usually tell if the rhythm is regular or irregular, rapid or slow. So it is IMO an excellent screening device. And of course further and more detailed investigation can always follow.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:27 AM

9,280 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Instead of sitting there focusing on the palpitations and having the anxiety feed on itself, have you tried getting up and walking it off and continuing to walk for a period that's beneficial for your heart...

calm your anxious heart

Old 02-16-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I'm a recently retired internist and use the Kardia gizmo/app myself and have recommended it to patients. A doc should of course review and examine any patient, and can easily also view and discuss the Kardia data/tracing. Even an untrained eye can usually tell if the rhythm is regular or irregular, rapid or slow. So it is IMO an excellent screening device. And of course further and more detailed investigation can always follow.
Ah, good to know. Like I said, I know nothing about it, but if physicians recommend it, then that's a different story entirely.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:37 AM

5,413 posts, read 1,986,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Agree. I believe OP has severe phobias IIRC...

Maybe consider anxiety as an issue that needs medication?
Yeh, that was kinda obvious from the first post.
I had a heart attack and a stent installed last year and i worry less than the OP.
Why pay interest on borrowed worries.
I don't even worry about real problems, it does nothing positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness