U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

664 posts, read 5,383,354 times

Advertisements

My child, age 5, was recently diagnosed with sustained ventricular tachycardia. This was all found incidentally, when at the Dr. for another, unrelated reason. Multiple PVCs on exam were noted. We were sent to a pediatric cardiologist who did EKG (several PVCs noted), then echocardiogram (normal, no issues), then 24 hour holter monitor (tons of PVCs--singles, doubles, 3 in a row, 6 in a row, and then an unbelievable 200 in a row).

I have PVCs myself and know how problematic they are. My child however, has no symptoms and never had any, even with the 200 PVCs in a row. No dizziness, no shortness of breath, etc.

Child is now on beta blockers per Dr.'s recommendation.

Next step is to see an electrophysiologist, which we have an upcoming appt. for.

In the meantime I am freaking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

10,350 posts, read 7,567,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
My child, age 5, was recently diagnosed with sustained ventricular tachycardia. This was all found incidentally, when at the Dr. for another, unrelated reason. Multiple PVCs on exam were noted. We were sent to a pediatric cardiologist who did EKG (several PVCs noted), then echocardiogram (normal, no issues), then 24 hour holter monitor (tons of PVCs--singles, doubles, 3 in a row, 6 in a row, and then an unbelievable 200 in a row).

I have PVCs myself and know how problematic they are. My child however, has no symptoms and never had any, even with the 200 PVCs in a row. No dizziness, no shortness of breath, etc.
Child is now on beta blockers per Dr.'s recommendation.

Next step is to see an electrophysiologist, which we have an upcoming appt. for.

In the meantime I am freaking out.
Of course you are, what parent wouldn't be? If you will pardon the pun, my heart goes out to you, I'd be freaking out too.

But if there is any light at the end of this tunnel, it'd have to be that the problem (whatever it might be) has been discovered, and you are on your way to determining the cause(s) and taking the measures needed for your child to go on, live a great life, meet his/her potentials and so on.

It's scary now, of course, when you naturally think the worst of what could cause such findings in a child. But as you go down that road with the EP and other medical professionals in determining (and ruling out) causes, you will realize that even in the (unlikely) worse case scenario there are viable (and very successful) options and means used to allow a child to live a normal life. Or, you may learn that the tachycardia is caused by a relatively benign (and reversible) issue.

My best wishes and positive vibs for your child, and you! Keep us updated?

Old Today, 10:15 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,292,761 times
I wasn't aware kids could have this condition. My sympathies to you both.
Hopefully there will be an alternative to beta blockers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness