Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 03:02 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
It will be cheaper because it's wouldn't be traditional insurance. The profit will be taken out of it. This is why it's cheaper, substantially cheaper, I may add, in literally every other country that has universal healthcare.
While the cost of care might be cheaper the cost of PROVIDING the coverage won't be...

How exactly would Medicare For All be funded....

Bernie Sanders is championing this concept yet he has no idea how it would actually be funded...wonderful

People who are championing UHC based on other countries experiences are also misconstruing what UHC actually looks like in these other countries and what is being proposed here...

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/kevinmd/82877
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 03:02 PM

698 posts, read 234,620 times
Changing from a profit based system cannot be done with a payment system designed for profit. Not science.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
Changing from a profit based system cannot be done with a payment system designed for profit. Not science.
Got it...

So in other words you have nothing to back up your "sciency" system.....

Old 02-25-2020, 05:21 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I don't suppose you have any peer reviewed studies to back your previous contention that UHC "facilitates evidence based medicine" and is "based on science not profit"

Medical resources are finite....funding is finite....changing HOW health care is paid for and WHO gets it doesn't magically change WHAT can be delivered and HOW MUCH can be delivered...
Even if WHAT can be delivered and HOW MUCH can be delivered says the same, it would be the same but cost less. Same service, lower cost. How is that a negative?

And there have already been a bunch of links posted to back this up. I'm not going to do it again. Feel free to post any studies that show otherwise.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:26 PM

698 posts, read 234,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Got it...

So in other words you have nothing to back up your "sciency" system.....
You are correct, all that science stuff is silly.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:13 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I wonder how this issue will effect the US's ability to control COVID-19. I certainly would never go in for a test if I suspected I had it because the bill could be $10, $10k or more.
The bill will be much more than $10. I have a $3000 deductible and a $50 co-pay. There are many people that will never go seek medical attention because of this, which will lead to a much wider and faster spread of any disease.

For those saying that people in countries that have universal healthcare have to wait long, I had to wait eight months for back surgery. I had to wait six months for an MRI. Again, for a plan I paid $650 a month for. There are some people in this country that have excellent healthcare plans, teachers and other union members etc. They seem to think that everyone has an equally good healthcare plan. It’s not the case at all. Many people with health insurance still can’t afford healthcare in this country.

Good, raise taxes. Those tax cuts only benefited the super wealthy. And it did not trickle down they did not give better wages. All they did is buy back stock and hoard it. It’s ridiculous that Jeff Bezos pay zero income taxes. We are going to pay for it in the end. They’re going to be cuts to Medicare Social Security and every other social safety net that benefits the middle class, not the poor but the middle class

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-26-2020 at 08:29 AM..

Old 02-26-2020, 08:14 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
It works for Medicare, Medicaid and the VA. They are all examples of universal healthcare. They just doesn’t include everyone yet.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:26 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Now this is simply entertainment for the bored not facts.
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab

Old 02-26-2020, 07:53 PM

15,427 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Good, raise taxes. Those tax cuts only benefited the super wealthy. And it did not trickle down they did not give better wages. All they did is buy back stock and hoard it. It’s ridiculous that Jeff Bezos pay zero income taxes. We are going to pay for it in the end. They’re going to be cuts to Medicare Social Security and every other social safety net that benefits the middle class, not the poor but the middle class
Jeff Bezos pays income taxes. He pays taxes on the salary he receives from Amazon, which is $82,000 per year - it's never gone up since he founded the company. He also pays capital gains taxes on any Amazon stock he sells. Since he founded the company, the basis in the stock is probably 0, so the entire sale is taxable. I looked up his early February sales(available on the SEC website), and the total stock sold was about about $650 million. Assuming the proceeds aren't donated to charity, the tax on that would be $130 million. So, Bezos does pay taxes.

Amazon has had years where the corporation didn't pay taxes. That happens with corporations when they invest heavily and don't have a lot of revenues, or when they have a large loss. Corporations can carry the loss forward, offsetting future years profits until the loss is used up. That's reasonable, and has been part of the tax law since the income tax was enacted.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
You are correct, all that science stuff is silly.
Still waiting to hear exactly what "science stuff" you think backs up a payment system...'

You ask others for evidence to back up statements yet provide none yourself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness