U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 06:39 AM

3,267 posts, read 1,543,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Do you mean fluticasone/Flonase? I've been using that for about a month. I'm a little worried it's part of the problem. But I'm grasping at straws.

I've suspected allergies, but the only ones I know I have are mold and christmas trees. I don't think I encountered any real trees this year. Ours is fake, of course.
Yep, that's the one.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:38 AM

4,919 posts, read 2,232,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
First I want to ask if you have dental implants. My fiancé had them, and about two years after he got them done he started experiencing severe sinus problems. He was constantly clogged and getting frequent headaches. It turned out to be that one of the posts from his implants migrated into his sinus. He had to have it surgically removed.

If not that, then yes it probably is allergies. You can develop allergies at any time in your life. I never had allergies when I was younger but I have them now. Do you have a Netti pot? This can help a lot. I also use humidifiers in my home which helps.
No implants, but yucky story!

I have a good humidifier and have been using a saline rinse.

BTW, doctor appt at 2 today.

Last edited by steiconi; 02-24-2020 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 08:10 AM

28,221 posts, read 19,865,613 times
Quote:
No implants, but yucky story!

I have a good humidifier and have been using a saline rinse.

BTW, doctor appt at 2 today.
Yes, and we only knew to ask the doctor to check that as the cause because when I was googling for him I came upon a story about the same thing that happened to Dick Van Dyke. His ( Dick Van Dyke’s )headaches were so severe he was housebound for several years. The surgeon actually showed me the post after he removed it, it looked like a small nail!

Old 02-24-2020, 01:57 PM

19,859 posts, read 25,003,218 times
Quote:
Try fluticasone. It takes up to 8 weeks for full effect. I coughed for ten months straight before a doctor suggested it, back when it was prescription.

Also, white flour/bread seem to increase my mucous production. YMMV.
I second both recommendations. I limit bread, but when I eat it, I choose a WHOLE GRAIN bread. Not just bread that is marked "Wheat Bread" and colored brown.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:19 PM

1,988 posts, read 1,558,540 times
Default Rule of thumb

Quote:
I've been having sinus problems since early December.
I was diagnosed with a sinus infection, took antibiotics, and it cleared up.
Then I got an ear infection, used Rx drops, and it cleared up.
I got a head cold, waited it out and it cleared up after two weeks.

A week later, a different head cold took over. This one seemed to clear up, but then settled into my sinuses. My breathing is clear, but my nose runs constantly with thin, clear snot.

The worst part is that it feels like I've been punched in the nose--the spot where cartilage meets bone hurts really bad. Acetaminophen takes the pain away for a few hours, but I get up in the night to take more.. That's been going on for three or four days.

If it doesn't clear up by Monday, I'll call the doctor. In the meantime, any suggestions about what this is and how to get rid of it?

If your sinuses hurt or eye sockets ache, usually have an infection. Everyone is different. My thinking is never take medicine that dries out your sinus. Never mask your problem by masking the hurt with pain killers.

If you can get antibiotics, take them. If you can't, go holistic. Rinse your sinus with salted water; open the windows where you sleep. Take mucus breakers. Stay away from antihistamines that give temporary relief but dry out your sinus that promote infection.

Works for me.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:51 PM

3,227 posts, read 1,075,421 times
How much COW CHEESE and DAIRY do you consume?

There are over 101 different causes. Start there...

Try fish oil, magnesium and l-lysine. Take 500mg lysine in the morning with 2 cups of water on empty stomach. Take fish oil with breakfast (that contains fat) and magnesium with lunch. There are 10 different kinds of magnesium so find which one you can tolerate.

Address nutritional deficiency and ensure no food allergies are causing this.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:55 PM

3,227 posts, read 1,075,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Stay away from antihistamines that give temporary relief but dry out your sinus that promote infection.
Antihistamines actually prevent me from getting sinus infection after Cold/Flu. Too much mucous is not good. Drink plenty of water and use a humidifier and you won't have dryness

Old 02-24-2020, 07:19 PM

Saw the doctor. She says it's not a sinus infection, but she doesn't know just what it is and gave me a referral to the ENT. She thinks I'll be able to get an appointment in a week or two.

Meanwhile, the bridge of my nose has swollen to twice its normal width, and so tender, it hurts to wear sunglasses.

Sigh.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:44 AM

16,523 posts, read 10,660,016 times
It is highly likely you have polyps on the nasal passages which can easily cause infection when you have any mild allergies and blockage. I've had it for a long time. The best thing to do is to use a nasal drain system that do it every night to wash your nasal passage with salt and baking soda mixture. This clears any blockage as well as take antihistamines.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:12 AM

This morning my eyes were swollen. If it keeps getting worse, I'm not going to be able to see in a few days. I asked the doc to put a rush on the ENT referral, and have a backup plan of visiting the ER if needed, 'cause it's always nice to spend the day watching sick, desperate people trying to get medical care.

It's weird that acetaminophen helps so much, but a steamy shower doesn't. Make me think it's not a sinus problem, but a problem with something near the sinuses.

I'm going drug shopping today, plan to get everything that promises to reduce swelling or congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness