U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 11:42 AM

150 posts, read 70,574 times

Advertisements

My sinuses have been troubling me for about 2 years now. I was prescribed antibiotics which didn't help at all. Not sure what's going on, eventually I'll go to a doctor to find out. It's really just a chronic problem on one side. Generally not painful, just produces thick, dry mucous which works its way to the back of my throat. It's not seasonal, it's constant, and I don't think it's allergies (have never had an allergy in 60+ years, but I know they can develop late) because I've lived in three different parts of the country in different homes/apartments across the seasons. Have been to the dentist recently, had a full x-ray panel and my 6 year old implants are fine, as are my teeth generally. Tried neti pot, steam inhaler, mucosa, flonase, nasocort, with no long term benefit. For the last month it's been somewhat better, but still always, always there. Although not painful and not severe, it is super annoying. One day when I'm in one place long enough I'll go find an ENT and see if they can figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 11:46 AM

150 posts, read 70,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
This morning my eyes were swollen. If it keeps getting worse, I'm not going to be able to see in a few days. I asked the doc to put a rush on the ENT referral, and have a backup plan of visiting the ER if needed
I hope you can get into the ENT soon! This sounds really awful.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:55 PM

5,825 posts, read 2,561,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
My sinuses have been troubling me for about 2 years now. I was prescribed antibiotics which didn't help at all. Not sure what's going on, eventually I'll go to a doctor to find out. It's really just a chronic problem on one side. Generally not painful, just produces thick, dry mucous which works its way to the back of my throat. It's not seasonal, it's constant, and I don't think it's allergies (have never had an allergy in 60+ years, but I know they can develop late) because I've lived in three different parts of the country in different homes/apartments across the seasons. Have been to the dentist recently, had a full x-ray panel and my 6 year old implants are fine, as are my teeth generally. Tried neti pot, steam inhaler, mucosa, flonase, nasocort, with no long term benefit. For the last month it's been somewhat better, but still always, always there. Although not painful and not severe, it is super annoying. One day when I'm in one place long enough I'll go find an ENT and see if they can figure it out.
You could have silent reflux. I know I get congestion more on weekends, and I think that’s because I take naps sometimes too soon after eating. I have silent reflux, so I will get congested from the reflux. I don’t have a lot of the standard symptoms, but will have symptoms like occasionally waking up choking or having insane amounts of acidic drool coming out. I DO have allergies, so I get a combination happening, and it’s worse on one side because I tend to sleep on that side AND I have a slightly deviate septum so that side is smaller. You can try an H2 blocker like Pepcid to see if that helps. It also has antihistamine properties, but standard allergy meds are H1 blockers.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:12 PM

4,162 posts, read 10,832,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
This morning my eyes were swollen. If it keeps getting worse, I'm not going to be able to see in a few days. I asked the doc to put a rush on the ENT referral, and have a backup plan of visiting the ER if needed, 'cause it's always nice to spend the day watching sick, desperate people trying to get medical care.

It's weird that acetaminophen helps so much, but a steamy shower doesn't. Make me think it's not a sinus problem, but a problem with something near the sinuses.
I've had a lot of sinus work done, and these symptoms aren't anything like what I ever experienced.

With your bridge issue and your swollen eyes, this seems like your nasal area was broken or damaged and some kind of "stuff" is leaking into areas where it shouldn't be.

You couldn't be leaking cranial fluid could you? That's a very rare occurrence, but possible, and also very hazardous.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:07 PM

4,919 posts, read 2,232,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I've had a lot of sinus work done, and these symptoms aren't anything like what I ever experienced.

With your bridge issue and your swollen eyes, this seems like your nasal area was broken or damaged and some kind of "stuff" is leaking into areas where it shouldn't be.

You couldn't be leaking cranial fluid could you? That's a very rare occurrence, but possible, and also very hazardous.
Oooh, I think I'll lead with that when I see the ENT, "I suspect I'm leaking cranial fluid." I do enjoy a little drama. I picture cranial fluid as pinkish, and this is clear. Should I Google? Maybe better not to know....darn, Google says it's clear, but at least it doesn't list nose pain or facial swelling as symptoms. I'll put it on my list to discuss.

you're right, it does feel like something was damaged and the normal drainage is blocked.

The pharmacist suggested ibuprofen would reduce the swelling better than acetaminophen. (Thank goodness for autocomplete.)

Old 02-25-2020, 09:10 PM

40,718 posts, read 50,905,397 times
OP...I bet the first thing the ENT will discover is a deviated septum, not unusual as most sinus sufferers have one. Also you may want to discuss diet such as wheat products, cow milk and other dairy products that can create sinus drainage problems. When I went on a gluten free diet things changed dramatically within about 3 days for the better.
When I do have a rare sinus problem these days I use a Netti Rinse bottle with warm water and a few drops of a mild liquid soap added. Works wonders.
In the past my ENT prescribed Prednisone and that worked quite well too for relief. Ask your doctor about these things.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:05 AM

16,523 posts, read 10,660,016 times
One other thing that seems to cured my sinus issue has been fixing my diet. Because I started keto last year and now 6 months into this low carb diet. The other additional effect has been my allergies are gone or cleared up. I haven't taken allergy meds since last year. I usually take them during the winter and spring. In the winter I seemed to have allergy towards indoor dust mites. But now, since staying the course with my keto diet I've no longer have serious allergy. This is a testament that sugar and carbs does have a profounding effect on your immune system. If you cut your sugar and carb intake, overtime you see many other health benefits such as brain fog, allergies, cold sores no longer happening anymore.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:02 AM

1,988 posts, read 1,558,540 times
Default Sinusitis suffers say

Last time both eyes turned red and started to close I used an antibiotic that didn't help and went to see an infectitious disease for the eye doctor who started me on timolal. It worked. Heard claritan is good too.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:55 AM

1,612 posts, read 876,044 times
Why keep going back to medical doctors when they aren't fixing the underlying cause. Try a homeopath. Also, colloidal silver nose spray, Neti pot nasal washes, steaming, getting off caffeine, changing your diet, etc. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:32 PM

4,638 posts, read 8,417,779 times
When I was young, I went to a doctor for a nosebleed and was told I had a deviated septum. I never thought much of it and didn't even ask him what he was talking about. I went on with my life, but often slept with an open mouth. Again I never paid attention to it. Now 35 years after that doctor visit, I am paying more attention lately. I can hear my breathing through the nose very often. That's not normal, is it? I look at my nose with a mirror and notice that the left nostril is smaller than the right one. I am OK with sleeping with my mouth open because I think it is a survival/coping mechanism. My body needs oxygen and if the nose isn't doing enough then body uses the mouth to do it. I am assuming that this is what's happening. My mouth could be open because the muscle controlling it is too relaxed when I sleep.

Anyway I read and learn a lot here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness