U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 07:47 PM

8,515 posts, read 4,837,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
As a person who is alive today because of modern medical technology, I think this is an overly grim statement.

Life cannot be made 100% risk-free. Even, sadly, for 7-year-olds. And bad things don't happen only to other people.

This case is news because it is a RARE outcome.
True. But think about it: This child was having her tonsils removed because she snored. All that expense & danger because of snoring. AND tonsils serve a purpose. I doubt many doctors would advise or approve such an operation because of snoring.

I never had my tonsils removed, even though they gave me heck in my teens, constantly swelling up. Doctor said he would remove mine when the swelling went down, but I never did it. They stopped swelling up.

Tonsils help protect against some respiratory ailments, germs, and such, I think. Medical people aren't sure of all the ways that tonsils may help with health. I rarely get colds & don't think I've ever had the flu (even tho I rarely get a flu shot & worked around a lot of people for decades). I'm at a loss to explain why, but I wonder if my tonsils help prevent those illnesses. I also wash my hands a lot, but I'm sure others do, too. It's odd that I rarely get colds. I can't even remember the last time I had one. It's been years. (I do have sinus trouble, tho.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 08:21 PM

983 posts, read 485,593 times
Lack of tonsils has never been an issue for me. I rarely even get a cold.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:44 AM

2,119 posts, read 2,117,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
The medical industry is a big failure based on dangerous, unnecessary surgeries, drugs, etc., etc. Avoid a hospital at all costs unless you break your leg. Most people don't need their tonsils removed. Just a way to generate $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. That's why medical malpractice lawyers exist. To bring these criminals to justice.
Certainly an over statement but there is a lot of truth to this. My son died due to complications from a very common surgery. Doctors tell you that the risk of the complication is very low, but several facebook groups devoted to sufferers whose lives are forever changed tells me otherwise.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:23 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,168,010 times
This young girl was the best friend of a 7 year old that attends our church. Was very sad to hear the news.

Also, she had premonitions that something bad was going to happen. The family had to cancel the surgery a couple times. It was her first time under anesthesia.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:39 AM

15,840 posts, read 33,183,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Lack of tonsils has never been an issue for me. I rarely even get a cold.
Same here. I am rarely sick, never get the flu. Had mine out when I was five, I used to nearly choke to death on my food.

I am sure there was an important reason for the child to undergo the tonsillectomy. Very sad about the outcome, but there could have been an underlying issue - children so young don't usually snore.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:17 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,372,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Same here. I am rarely sick, never get the flu. Had mine out when I was five, I used to nearly choke to death on my food.

I am sure there was an important reason for the child to undergo the tonsillectomy. Very sad about the outcome, but there could have been an underlying issue - children so young don't usually snore.
Interesting. Mine were removed when I was young in a routine operation common back then. I very rarely get the flu and only had pneumonia once.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:13 PM

13,221 posts, read 16,538,527 times
such a tragic loss

Old 02-28-2020, 04:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,238,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Very sad. Could happen to anyone. Even partial anesthesia is a risk, that's why you sign all those consent forms, and why docs will refuse to perform surgery at all on some patients.
Very true. An anesthesiologist told me that general anesthesia is just as hard on our body as if we were to run as hard as fast as we could for 12 straight hours.

That's why any time a patient is put under general anesthesia it is major surgery.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:00 PM

16,374 posts, read 6,619,218 times
I had my tonsils removed 72 or 3 years ago. Back in the days of the anesthetic was ether. Was a disaster. It all went well except I refused to wake up. They hospital went to all the life support stuff but I did not wake up until almost 48 hours after the surgery. I only learned when I was an adult they had hard discussions about what to do if I did not wake up pretty soon. But I came out OK - or at least any changes that occurred were within the reach of my personality afterwards.

I needed it done by the way. I was somewhat asthmatic and turned blue many evenings. The tonsillectomy helped though it did not cure it.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:36 PM

672 posts, read 2,123,774 times
[quote=bpollen;57440817]True. But think about it: This child was having her tonsils removed because she snored. All that expense & danger because of snoring. AND tonsils serve a purpose. I doubt many doctors would advise or approve such an operation because of snoring.

I /QUOTE]

You are right. A doctor would recommend tonsil removal when they become large enough to cause obstructive sleep disturbances, snoring being only one of the symptoms. Most children do not need their tonsils removed, but for some, they become large enough to cause breathing issues like apnea during sleep.

Doctors will keep tonsils in place if they pose no health issues. Snoring is not a medical issue in itself, and without complicating conditions, it would be an elective surgery that would fail to meet insurance requirements. Its unlikely her parents would pay out of pocket for nothing more than snoring. Obstructive sleep disturbances are a health issue and meet insurance criteria.

Utilizing reasoning, I believe there was more to her tonsils than simply snoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or