Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 06:15 AM

11 posts, read 4,562 times

Advertisements

I find myself a "victim" of the opioid epidemic.
What started as recreational use has become a outrageous habit. 10 grams a day of fentanyl. Not straight fent, I cut it 100:1. So 1/10th of a gram a day. I can't function without it. I'm out of control. I've been to aa and na but I just couldn't stomach some of the things I heard.
If aa works for people I think it's great. But it will never work for me.
What other options are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 06:39 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,169,070 times
If this is for real (which I have my doubts that it is)... you need a lot more help than anyone on this forum can provide. Start with your doctor and go from there.

Btw, you're not a victim here dude. You created your problem since you CHOSE to take opioids for recreational use, unlike the multitudes of people who took them for legit reasons and later found themselves with a nasty addiction problem. I took them after a major surgery and found it uncomfortable to stop taking them when I no longer really needed them.

You're looking for some easy answer and there isn't one. Seek professional help and do the hard work to get off them, and stop contributing to the opioid epidemic. No other way.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:45 AM

11 posts, read 4,562 times
I too started with oxycontin after surgery. But once I stopped with the prescriptions and switched to fentanyl I kept doing more and more to get high. I no longer get high I just get not sick. I put victim in quotes because I realize this is all of my doing. I have been trying to taper down. Weighing out my daily dose and slightly lowering it every 4 or 5 days. At the rate I'm going it will take over a year to kick my habit. Was hoping someone knew of a shortcut

Old 01-16-2020, 09:17 AM

1,013 posts, read 716,682 times
There are no shortcuts. Ask your doctor for advice/referral.

Speaking from experience with addiction (alcohol), AA or NA works if you want it enough. If you aren’t willing to take suggestions from those who are clean and sober, nothing works.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,212,488 times
There is no shortcut...the withdrawal is brutal. I beat the independence/addiction on my own, by tapering my dose once every week and a half...I'd cut the patches in half...then quarters...every time there was one week sickness/withdrawals that followed every lowering of the dose.
It took me 2 months to get completely off of the 50 mcg fentanyl patches I was on, by slowing cutting them down...no help from the doctors or anyone else.
You have to REALLY want it, and realize that it's not an easy fix.

I never took them for the "high" though...just for the pain...I got marijuana for the high... if I so desire.

I couldn't stand knowing that I was dependent on a drug..it was scary to start experiencing extreme withdrawals when I forgot to put the patch on one day...that's when I knew I was in trouble.
Knowing now what I know about this very addictive drug, I would NEVER go on it again....I've been on a lot of other pain killers over time, and none of them caused such agony to get off of as did the fentanyl.
You have to be willing to feel real sick and uncomfortable as you withdraw, but the freedom you feel when it's all over is amazing....good luck.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:40 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,602,689 times
Why would anyone take fentanyl knowing what is known about that drug?

Seems crazy to me.

If you want to stop drugging, go to NA and work the program or go to rehab.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,972 times
Have you ever heard of Kratom? Maybe research that as a means to get off the opioid
A family member and also a couple of friends have been very successful in stopping the opioid use by using Kratom

If you decide to go that route I suggest you buy from someone other than the Kratom you would find in a smoke shop or local gas station.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,411,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Simone View Post
Have you ever heard of Kratom? Maybe research that as a means to get off the opioid
A family member and also a couple of friends have been very successful in stopping the opioid use by using Kratom

If you decide to go that route I suggest you buy from someone other than the Kratom you would find in a smoke shop or local gas station.
Yes, kratom is commonly used for W/D.

Reddit is a place to discuss and ask questions about it.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:43 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,685,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy03101 View Post
I too started with oxycontin after surgery. But once I stopped with the prescriptions and switched to fentanyl I kept doing more and more to get high. I no longer get high I just get not sick. I put victim in quotes because I realize this is all of my doing. I have been trying to taper down. Weighing out my daily dose and slightly lowering it every 4 or 5 days. At the rate I'm going it will take over a year to kick my habit. Was hoping someone knew of a shortcut
I am not an expert in this field, but I think you have taken the first step...…….realizing there is a problem and wanting to stop. I do know that you will probably never do it on your own and will need a support system and professional help to succeed.

I imagine there are agencies that you can contact who will steer you in the right direction. The son of an ex GF was heavily addicted to some drug, and we thought he would end up dead. But he did find help and has been 100% clean for years now. So it can happen.

Good luck, hope you are one of the ones who make it.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:54 PM

17,379 posts, read 13,133,321 times
If this is a real request for help, ONLY way to detox is with professional help PERIOD!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness