Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 08:55 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times

Advertisements

One time I asked one of my co-workers is she was expecting. She said no. OMG, I felt so embarrassed. I apologized to her profusely. After that I swore to myself I would never ask anybody else if she was expecting anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 02:34 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
why will obesity rates decline in the usa when the media celebrates 'overweight body positivity' and fat models? being overweight is just as unhealthy as smoking according to recent medical research.

the only thing that will truncate obesity in our population is monetary penalties in health insurance premiums and social shaming. neither will happen anytime soon because overweight americans outnumber healthy weight americans by almost 3:1.
Not quite. Americans with a BMI of 25+ outnumber those with a BMI of below 25 by almost 3:1. A BMI of 25.1 is not overweight. I'm 6' tall and 228 pounds, my BMI is 30.9, and I'm definitely a little overweight but not obese. My weight has been about the same for 9 years now.

Overweight really starts at close to 30, not 25. And obese is mid-30s and up, not 30. Put it this way: A 6' tall person who is under 200 pounds could still have a BMI of up to 27.1 . And 6' and even 199.9 pounds is not overweight. Meanwhile "healthy weight" for a 6' tall person could be less than 140 pounds! Yeah, I think for 95% of 6' tall people, 200 would be a better weight than 140.

I've heard somewhere that the healthiest BMI is somewhere around 24-27, and that weight-related health problems don't start going up until BMI gets over 30.

Plus, fat-shaming? Some people are more predisposed to be overweight than others.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:58 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Too many posters are too quick to condemn "carbs" willy nilly across the board without distinction or any kind of useful and necessary measure, and it takes away credibility from otherwise useful posts.

In any case, we are preaching to the choir.

A step toward solving the issue is whether we have local and/or national policies to teach and encourage people to prepare whole foods (as opposed to processed foods) with their own hands, helping them to realize that they are actually less expensive on a long-term total cost basis and, with a bit of practice and basic time-management skills, takes no longer to prepare than the whole rigamorole surrounding processed foods.

Honestly I take no steps in that direction with the exception of contributing whole grains and dry legumes to a food bank rather canned and other processed food. The food bank in my area even has freezers, so it is possible to donate some wholesome perishables.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:33 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
I can't pretend to have the answer on carbs but I think one of the things that helps me keep my weight down after losing 20+ lbs. about 10 years ago is that I'm watching my fasting glucose and a1C levels. Fasting glucose has been running around 110 but just last week it was 98. Finally! A1c inched up a bit from 5.5 to 5.6- nothing to worry about but diabetes is nasty and I don't want it to develop. I have no risk factors that I know of- just those numbers.

So... there's a lot of stuff on my "do not eat" list because they're refined carbs, empty starches (white rice, white bread, potatoes) or fatty. It means I pass up a lot of junky stuff because it's just not good for me. So, I can't say that cutting sugars and empty starches from my diet changed my metabolism or whatever- it may just have decreased my overall caloric intake when I stop at a convenience store on a road trip and pass up the roller grill hot dogs and Little Debbies in favor of hard-boiled eggs, cut veggies and sunflower seeds.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:27 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
Obese - is just because people eat too much, don't want to exercise and are lazy. People don't need so much food to stuff into their bodies; but they just indulge themselves and get to a bad habit. Eat, eat, eat all the times. Eat when they are bored, sad, socializing, shopping, watching TV, playing with the computer - ALL THE TIMES.

In the "old" day, people did not have so much food to eat, and they worked harder. That's why they were slim and looked healthier and nicer.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:10 AM

962 posts, read 612,806 times
Fatsos are a major drain on society.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Obese - is just because people eat too much, don't want to exercise and are lazy. People don't need so much food to stuff into their bodies; but they just indulge themselves and get to a bad habit. Eat, eat, eat all the times. Eat when they are bored, sad, socializing, shopping, watching TV, playing with the computer - ALL THE TIMES.

In the "old" day, people did not have so much food to eat, and they worked harder. That's why they were slim and looked healthier and nicer.
Yes they did work harder and that is why they didn't have the weight issues so many of us have now,but as for not having as much food; not at all true. I can remember what we ate as kids for dinner: the amount of meat we had and the desserts many ate. I can remember the size of meals at my husband's parents house or his other relatives homes and all the carbs they ate. So I do not think people did not eat as much. It has to do with the burning of the calories which comes from exercise, regardless how you burn the calories.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Fatsos are a major drain on society.
Maybe there would be a more polite way to refer to people who are overweight instead of calling them fatsos?

Old 03-02-2020, 10:52 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Congrats, You do realize that you replaced one food that has sugar and replaced it with another that also still had sugar and you lost weight right?

What really happened is you replaced high calorie processed foods low on the satiety index with very low calorie foods high on the satiety index. The sugar had nothing to do with your weight loss.
Give a someone four oranges and tell them to eat them they'll throw up around 3.5 oranges, too full.

Squeeze all the nutrition out of the orange into a glass and they'll chug it and say, "Great, what's for breakfast?"

The sugar in the whole orange is moderated by the fiber, as is your bodies insulin response, and you don't feel hungry in two hours either.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
One big problem in America is that, it is now socially unacceptable to fat shame someone. So it's ok for someone to be obese and not feel any consequence because it is socially acceptable for people to remain obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness