Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 03:57 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

Okay, we already knew this -- we're getting fatter:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that the obesity rate in the US in 2017-2018 spiked to 42.4%.

But this is eye-opening:

Obesity rates differ according to race:

Black Americans claimed the highest rate, at 49.6%
Hispanics come in at 44.8%
Whites at 42.2%;
Asians hold the lowest rate, at 17.4%.

What this says to me is this: want to stay slender?

Eat like an Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 04:22 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
I just read a clickbait article about all the foods you can eat in practically whatever quantities you want without gaining weight. They include green vegetables, cauliflower, onions, peppers, etc.- what you'd expect. My diet includes mass quantities of the non-starch veggies, with seasonings that don't add fat or calories. Fortunately I like hot and spicy and I don't worry about salt because my BP is fine. I eat meat only occasionally.

That's pretty much the standard Asian diet- not the Kung Pao Chicken or the other fried, fat-laden concoctions served at the Panda Buffet, but the good stuff. The focus is on vegetables, tasty seasonings and meat is only an add-in.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:52 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Want to stay slender?
Don't eat more calories then you are burning.

However, slender doesn't always mean healthy.
I have had many people come to our gym asking for help who looked skinny but were actually fat.
These people are almost always sluggish and in my opinion, harder to train at first then most obese people because they have a lot less energy in the beginning.

Yet, with simple baby steps, it can be fixed.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:56 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Americans don't know how to eat, they chew and swallow.
Watch the French eat, they experience the food slowly, even if its only beans on toast.
Their food is the richest in the world, they should be fat, they would be if they ate their food like Americans.
So obviously theres more going on than merely what is on the plate.
You cannot experience the nuances of taste if you've already swallowed it.

Eating like asians doesn't mean eat chinese restaurant food either.
Americans have little trouble getting fat on asian food.
It means eat the way they eat, not merely what they eat.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:22 PM

703 posts, read 612,703 times
Yes. Eat large amounts of white rice. (High glycemic load starch) Lots of , usually peanut, oil even on the low fat low cal vegetables rendering them high fat/high cal. High amounts of sodium. And fish. Fish the oceans till they're sterile. Why not. Oh, and pork. Wonderfully low cal weight wasting pork. Yum yum

BE ASIAN: Genetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that the obesity rate in the US in 2017-2018 spiked to 42.4%.

But this is eye-opening:

Whites at 42.2%;

Eat like an Asian.

Old 02-29-2020, 04:24 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

But this is eye-opening:

Whites at 42.2%;

Eat like an Asian.
The reason is simple. Asian Americans tend to stick with their traditional diet more than the other groups, which is high consumption of plants (fruits, legumes, vegetables, beans, nuts, herbs and spices), and more fish and less red meat than an average American diet. Other traditional diets, like the Mediterranean diet, are like this too. Populations that eat that way are healthier and thinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Americans don't know how to eat, they chew and swallow.
Watch the French eat, they experience the food slowly, even if its only beans on toast.
Their food is the richest in the world, they should be fat, they would be if they ate their food like Americans.
So obviously theres more going on than merely what is on the plate.
You cannot experience the nuances of taste if you've already swallowed it.
My mother is French so I grew up that way. You consume less when you eat slower and savor the food. People are generally happier and healthier too when they take time to enjoy meals. It's also about the ratio of food groups and reasonable caloric intake, as noted above.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:09 AM

There's something to be said for texture and the extra time it takes to chew your food. Why do you think they call those little greasy hamburgers "sliders"? They just slide straight down and you're still hungry and reach for another one. Or "smoothies"- whatever fiber is left in the ingredients gets pulverized and you drink it. Vegetables in their natural state take far longer to chew and digest. I know- I've been the one still eating a giant salad (dressing on the side and skip the little fried taco bits, please) after everyone's hamburgers are gone. From what I've read it takes awhile for your brain to get the signal that you've had enough food- eating quickly means that you're eating after you've had enough but before you realize it.

And compare volumes. For 100 calories, you can have 3 cups of broccoli or 7 Doritos. I'm not advocating eating 3 cups of broccoli, but making the point that 100 calories worth of junk food is gone in a few minutes and 10 calories of vegetables takes awhile to chew and digest and may be more than you can eat at one sitting.

And that's one of MY secrets to staying slim!

Old 02-29-2020, 06:46 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
There's something to be said for texture and the extra time it takes to chew your food. Why do you think they call those little greasy hamburgers "sliders"? They just slide straight down and you're still hungry and reach for another one. Or "smoothies"- whatever fiber is left in the ingredients gets pulverized and you drink it. Vegetables in their natural state take far longer to chew and digest. I know- I've been the one still eating a giant salad (dressing on the side and skip the little fried taco bits, please) after everyone's hamburgers are gone. From what I've read it takes awhile for your brain to get the signal that you've had enough food- eating quickly means that you're eating after you've had enough but before you realize it.

And compare volumes. For 100 calories, you can have 3 cups of broccoli or 7 Doritos. I'm not advocating eating 3 cups of broccoli, but making the point that 100 calories worth of junk food is gone in a few minutes and 10 calories of vegetables takes awhile to chew and digest and may be more than you can eat at one sitting.

And that's one of MY secrets to staying slim!
You're in a caloric deficit. Nothing really groundbreaking or secret about that.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
You're in a caloric deficit. Nothing really groundbreaking or secret about that.
I agree with that. It's a heck of a lot easier to be in a caloric deficit, though, when you eat more of the foods that have fewer calories per cup, oz., etc. and take awhile to consume!

Old 02-29-2020, 09:01 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
I stand 5 ft 2, weigh 123 . My doctor's obese chart states for my age group 50^ I'm bordering obese. Seriously it's ridiculous how that is so. Mind you I can drop ten pounds in 3 weeks if need be. I happen to be fine if this is the new 'over weight's standard.

I don't utter negatives to a person's physique. I lived 50 years listening to the utterly disgusting opinions spewed by strangers to my parent who was weight challenged. It remains a reminder even though it wasn't directed at my being...it still was said to someone I adored dearly. If ya really cared ....then care enough to be civil. You aren't doing the person one shred of good by Ill words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness