Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 05:26 AM

48,413 posts, read 34,578,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Isnt that the posters business? Not yours. There are healthy over 60 people who do not sit in their rocking chairs waiting for the grim reaper! They dont take any meds, work full time, hike, ride, etc. The atitude and stereotyping of the “elderly” is terrible. Terrible discrimination.
Well, I guess you will have to file a discrimination suit against Covid19.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 06:07 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,356,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Isnt that the posters business? Not yours. There are healthy over 60 people who do not sit in their rocking chairs waiting for the grim reaper! They dont take any meds, work full time, hike, ride, etc. The atitude and stereotyping of the “elderly” is terrible. Terrible discrimination.
I realize all the warnings about people 60 and older are for good reasons, but I somewhat agree with you. My own daughter and her best friend are not terribly concerned nor are they sitting back and wasting away. Both are 60 and both their husbands are a little older. As a matter of fact, because all our activities in our town including our St Patty's day party are cancelled the 6 of us are getting together late this afternoon for appetizers and drinks at our house. Our 8 gal bridge group is still meeting tomorrow and with the exception of our daughter all of us are 70 plus. I am hosting it. Many people we know exercise regularly, Water walk or did til they closed our pool yesterday we belong to lots of outside groups and enjoy life. Yes, we do have to use more caution when we do anything, and yes, we know we are more likely to get ill and healing takes longer, but in today's world we are totally different than the 60 plus youngsters were 50 years ago.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
We decided to do some sanitizing last night.
can't rep you but that is one way to sanitize and the one my hubby likes the best.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:58 AM

3,061 posts, read 1,521,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I realize all the warnings about people 60 and older are for good reasons, but I somewhat agree with you. My own daughter and her best friend are not terribly concerned nor are they sitting back and wasting away. Both are 60 and both their husbands are a little older. As a matter of fact, because all our activities in our town including our St Patty's day party are cancelled the 6 of us are getting together late this afternoon for appetizers and drinks at our house. Our 8 gal bridge group is still meeting tomorrow and with the exception of our daughter all of us are 70 plus. I am hosting it. Many people we know exercise regularly, Water walk or did til they closed our pool yesterday we belong to lots of outside groups and enjoy life. Yes, we do have to use more caution when we do anything, and yes, we know we are more likely to get ill and healing takes longer, but in today's world we are totally different than the 60 plus youngsters were 50 years ago.
Well said. A good friend of mine who was a virus researcher for the CDC for many years, said the other day that the worst thing that has happened to the “elderly” is the term “elderly”. Before that term was coined we were older people but still people. Not anymore. The people part of the equation isnt even recognized anymore.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,432,316 times
My daily life has completely changed.

I'm on permanent WFH status at this point. All restaurants and bars are closed. All gyms are closed.

We've been advised to stay at home if at all possible. I must say, I wasn't taking any of this too seriously until a few cases were discovered close to my location AND my 24 year old son (who takes NOTHING seriously) began texting me telling me I should stay home and not have workmen to the house right now, etc. (I just downsized to a Condo).

It's very weird.

I'm fast approaching that age range '60 and up" which my son constantly reminds me. I still do boot camp, etc but . . I will do my part not to spread the damn virus.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:24 AM

3,199 posts, read 2,394,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
"Beware the ides of March" seems so appropriate today.

Yes, the virus has changed my behaviors. I know it's only temporary. It's so annoying to read others' comments that they're not doing anything differently. It's just socially irresponsible to do nothing. Sort of like: "Damned if I'll change my life!!" Like it's a life-long thing they'll have to do....for *gasp* others safety as well as their own.

Basically, giving the world the finger.

Anyway, I saw the snowball growing as I listened to the scientists and not the government, and so I stocked up well before the government finally took action.

It's the first time in my life (5+ decades) that I did anything like this. As the new (annoying) phrase goes: "An abundance of caution".

Always better to be safe than sorry. I hope everyone can get what they need soon if they don't already have it.
Yeah I don't get some of these young kids who won't change their lives. For instance, there is a young blogger of cruises who voiced her opinion just prior to the cruise companies canceling all cruises, that she would still go on her cruises because she could just as easily get it where she is (which apparently has a lot of cases) as on the cruise ship. I was dumbfounded because she gave no thoughts to the fact she could be a carrier when she got on the ship and not just infect other stupid people who decided not to cancel, but potentially bringing the virus to places that don't have it yet. Of course she also completely disregarded the fact she could be quarantined in her cruise cabin for 14 or more days like the Princess was.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:12 PM

When it comes to changing habits and plans lets just say, I do not get upset with the young kids or young to some of us, for not changing their plans. Spring break is a week away for us here. Both our granddaughters had planned on cruises with their hubby's and kids (2 different cruise lines) both had intended to cruise regardless. The first one was going on Disney, which of course cancelled all its cruises a few weeks ago. The other granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner btw had also planned on taking their cruise. What stopped them was knowing she would have to self quarantine for 2 weeks with no pay. They decided to forget the cruise. Our daughter, who is a travel agent had also planned on cruising that same week. Her cruise was cancelled of course. The reason she was going to take hers was to help some of her clients relax a bit. Our son was going to take his son to some Texas attractions that have closed. So, there are plenty of people, both old and young who are not going to stop living just because they have been told to hide under the bed for a month or so. Now, the exception of course would be anyone who has traveled out of the country in the past few weeks or anyone, knowingly exposed to the virus. Otherwise people have to make their own choices.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,195,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When it comes to changing habits and plans lets just say, I do not get upset with the young kids or young to some of us, for not changing their plans. Spring break is a week away for us here. Both our granddaughters had planned on cruises with their hubby's and kids (2 different cruise lines) both had intended to cruise regardless. The first one was going on Disney, which of course cancelled all its cruises a few weeks ago. The other granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner btw had also planned on taking their cruise. What stopped them was knowing she would have to self quarantine for 2 weeks with no pay. They decided to forget the cruise. Our daughter, who is a travel agent had also planned on cruising that same week. Her cruise was cancelled of course. The reason she was going to take hers was to help some of her clients relax a bit. Our son was going to take his son to some Texas attractions that have closed. So, there are plenty of people, both old and young who are not going to stop living just because they have been told to hide under the bed for a month or so. Now, the exception of course would be anyone who has traveled out of the country in the past few weeks or anyone, knowingly exposed to the virus. Otherwise people have to make their own choices.
Why would travel outside the US be an exception to making spectacularly poor choices??

The virus is HERE in the US and has been for weeks....

How does one know if they been exposed to the virus since almost no one in this country has been tested and we do know there are asymptomatic carriers??

Thank God cruise lines, amusement parks and the like have closed down since it is clear that many people, like your relatives, would continue to make horrible choices if decisions were left up to them...

People that "refuse to stop living just because they have been told to" are the definition of selfish Americans who will at all costs put their own needs and desires ahead of those of their fellow humans...

Old 03-17-2020, 04:30 PM

291 posts, read 375,231 times
This has completely changed our lives. I have been a stay at home mom & was looking to return to the work force (interviews & offers)but it appears home schooling needs my attention. I'm not complaining -just saying that life is not what we anticipated.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:49 PM

7,086 posts, read 12,603,396 times
Have our lives changed??

You bet. In every way.

Our lives are home-based right now. Strange to see my calendar now completely empty of work, social life, and appointments.

But that's the way it will be until we're passed this crisis.

Don't want to give--or receive it--that virus...

We're still exercising with bike rides or walks in quiet places away from people. I also have a CD for in-home yoga.

Doing a lot of cooking--trying to not pig out. Want a lot of comfort food right about now....

Occasional trips to grocery are done very early or late when the store is pretty empty and then come home and wash, wash , wash the hands--after using sanitizing washes now at the stores.

A good time to organize cabinets, pantry and closets...heck, I might even alphabetize the books in our book cases by author...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness