Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 05:30 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times

Advertisements

For myself, I'm avoiding crowds in confined spaces and practicing more "social distancing" since I have an elderly mother that I help take care of. Wondering if I should avoid drive through food places and cook ALL meals at home now? Has coronavirus changed your daily activities? If so, how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 05:41 PM

5,157 posts, read 3,083,950 times
Yesterday our county announced its first Covid-19 case not related to China. The wife and I are avoiding crowds and using hand sanitizer during the few trips we do make for errands. We rarely ate meals away from home before, but now I have no inclination at all to risk a sit-down restaurant or even standing in line at In-N-Out. There are lots of retirees in this community and it wouldn’t take much of an outbreak to fill the available hospital beds.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:03 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Yesterday our county announced its first Covid-19 case not related to China. The wife and I are avoiding crowds and using hand sanitizer during the few trips we do make for errands. We rarely ate meals away from home before, but now I have no inclination at all to risk a sit-down restaurant or even standing in line at In-N-Out. There are lots of retirees in this community and it wouldn’t take much of an outbreak to fill the available hospital beds.

Went to In-N-Out over the weekend with brother (not elderly mother)...the place was packed! All rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer sold out at stores. We frequently eat meals away from home (or from drive through)...wondering if I should curtail that and just solely cook at home for a while now? Mostly concerned for elderly mother...want to do all possible to minimize risk.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:58 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Not really. I'm retired and don't leave the house every day. I shop for groceries when I need to. I ate dinner in a not crowded restaurant yesterday when I was out of town. I went to a convenience store today at an unpopular time. I always go there when I know that I won't have to stand in a line to check out.

Before now, it was never, rarely, about a virus. I just don't like to stand in line. I tired of that years ago.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:21 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
WE went to see the Cincinnati Pops Sunday. We have another concert and the theater next week (wee will decide to go, or not, at the last minute depending on local news

I had a small organization committee meeting today at one of the members homes. An epidemiologist was at that meeting. He feels that we will have a handle on how bad this outbreak will be by this weekend.

There are a few events that we are skipping just because and we will shop and eat out when we want.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:28 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Has coronavirus changed your daily activities? If so, how?
We have lived a clean healthy lifestyle and will continue to do so.
We are both in our 40's and neither of us have a compromised immune system or any underlying health conditions.
So, if we get Coronavirus, I am betting that we will be fine.

The only thing we will do differently is IF we develop the symptoms, we will immediately contact our local doctor and get checked out, hoping that if we have it, we won't then accidentally spread it to someone who might not be able to handle the Coronavirus.

Old 03-11-2020, 04:27 AM

1,350 posts, read 819,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Went to In-N-Out over the weekend with brother (not elderly mother)...the place was packed! All rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer sold out at stores. We frequently eat meals away from home (or from drive through)...wondering if I should curtail that and just solely cook at home for a while now? Mostly concerned for elderly mother...want to do all possible to minimize risk.
Funny how two posts mentioned In n Out. I still go to In n Out, just last week in fact. But I started thinking about the self serve soda fountain machines there, and at all fast food places, and how many people are touching the self serve items (ketchup dispensers with the little white cups, etc).

Also, self serve ice cream/frozen yogurt shops. So many of the public touching the ice cream soft serve handles, etc.

As of now, I am not curtailing my shopping or eating out activities. And, I live in a very large city.

I agree with grocery shopping at off hours, but then I just saw on the news that the virus can live on hard services as long as 8 days! What about sneezes in the air inside a store? I'm not being paranoid yet, but I do wish I had more information.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Not at all: Maybe I am washing my hands a little better but otherwise, no changes in our lives, not even avoiding crowds. My feeling about this: it is being totally blown out of proportion. We do our best to not touch our face, we use our wipes like we always have, etc, but life goes on. BTW we are in our 80s. Heck I am much more concerned about driving when the weather is so bad like it is today, than I am about getting the virus. this doesn't mean we shouldn't all be aware of the dangers, but no need to go into panic mode.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:40 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
OP

Cooking at home is better for your immune system and general health if you are cooking healthier foods than you get at a fast food joint.

Washing hands, avoiding crowds, etc. is just as much about protecting others in case you are unknowingly a carrier, as it is about protecting yourself.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Washing hands longer! Found out it's not the soap as much as the rubbing!
Shopping in the early mornings.
Never went down the 'Microban 24 Spray' aisle before.
Never go into an Office store for hand sanitizer.
Never stock up this much on pet food as back up.
Never run away so fast if someone coughs! Some grudge girl did 2 days ago....I ran faster than
any cold virus in the air could reach me! Ha!

Washing hair after I go out, a trap for everything - changing pillow cases way more.
And first time wore surgical gloves in 5 stores the other day ---stopped me from touching my face. Good.
No mask yet.
Giving out surgical glove bags of 10 to friends from $1 Store. Never done that!
And they love it!
Daily reminding people of things - disinfect the steering wheel, toss gloves in the wash if not leather....things
people don't think of --step up cancelling your Italian Cruise
in April, get your head outta the sand.
Never have done that!

Not concerned about getting the virus - just a cashier who's sister returned from Milan
and now we all have to stay home 14 days! (ref St. Louis) That kind of nonsense...cuz of one person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness