Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 07:43 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,381 times

Advertisements

In NYC it is said that thousands of people have already been in contact with and passed through the virus without even knowing it. This means that just because you get it, it doesn't mean you are going to die - or, even be ill.

I am living my life as normal, and you probably should too. Heck, even when people were avoiding Chinese food here, I was out there ordering my usual egg drop soup. I take mass transit twice a day, and although yesterday ridership seemed light, we are usually packed into that bus like chickens being sent off to market. I work in a hospital - a very likely place to find germs - and push elevator buttons several times a day.

I'm fine.

As long as you are not elderly and infirmed, or otherwise in a weakened state and/or living with a compromised immune system, I don't see why you wouldn't go to that restaurant. You might even have a better time, get better service, and your choice of table too if the place is practically empty due to crowded places being avoided.

If a place is nearly empty, then its not a crowded place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 09:01 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
In NYC it is said that thousands of people have already been in contact with and passed through the virus without even knowing it. This means that just because you get it, it doesn't mean you are going to die - or, even be ill.

I am living my life as normal, and you probably should too. Heck, even when people were avoiding Chinese food here, I was out there ordering my usual egg drop soup. I take mass transit twice a day, and although yesterday ridership seemed light, we are usually packed into that bus like chickens being sent off to market. I work in a hospital - a very likely place to find germs - and push elevator buttons several times a day.

I'm fine.

As long as you are not elderly and infirmed, or otherwise in a weakened state and/or living with a compromised immune system, I don't see why you wouldn't go to that restaurant. You might even have a better time, get better service, and your choice of table too if the place is practically empty due to crowded places being avoided.

If a place is nearly empty, then its not a crowded place.
As others have explained if you get it you are still passing the virus to others even if you don't have symptoms. But I hear what you are saying, we are trying our best to retain our normal way of life while still taking precautions. We are heading to IHop now for breakfast. I expect it to be uncrowded, which means we won't be right next to others as you say, so we feel it's OK and important to continue to support the restaurants. But as this virus spreads further into our area that may change. Again it's not just you, it's what you can be doing to others.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Says the person who is trying to appear well-schooled and intellectual but in reality has nothing intelligent to add to the conversation except to spew out some undeserved nastiness.

You sound like a Trump hater who can't see anything beyond your hatred for Trump. You really do need to get over it.
Stay in your ignorant corner of the world.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:20 AM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I’m going out for lunch tomorrow in what will be a crowded restaurant. I have zero worries or concerns because I refuse to live my life that way.
How brave of you. Hope everyone come in contact with later feels the same way.

Apologies for the snark, but there will always be some who cannot accept a difficult situation and 'cope' by denial. Best to avoid them.

Sometimes clear speaking is necessary.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:02 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
I wouldn't go to a crowded place right now if you don't have to and any public place I'd be very careful. It is a pandemic. Wash your hands after touching surfaces. Stay a good distance from people. I couldn't enjoy myself going to a restaurant as things are now so I'll stay home till things calm down.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 03-14-2020 at 01:10 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 01:28 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,381 times
https://www.jonbarron.org/allergies-...s-fights-germs

It may come as shock to some, but if you are never exposed to germs, you will never develop the white blood cells to fight them off. It's that simple.

If you have a good reason, like being weak and feeble, or compromised in some way, to keep yourself drenched in hand sanitizer and treating everyone around you like they might kill you with a passing brush up against you then by all means - protect yourself the way you see fit.

If this person wants to eat in a restaurant known for its accumulation of filth and food poisoning cases, then of course, she should not go there.

But, what do you think will happen if everyone develops a sudden case of extreme paranoia or germophobia and refuses to go to work. Everyone! No police, no fire, no medical personnel, nothing! Do you think that will save the world from getting Corona? Seriously?

Woman, 82, recorded as New York's first coronavirus death

By JIM MUSTIAN, Associated Press 3 hrs ago

NEW YORK (AP) — New York state reported its first death in the coronavirus pandemic, an 82-year-old woman who had advanced emphysema, authorities said Saturday.

If it is sunny out, and the OP wants to go to a nice restaurant while getting some Vitamin D and fresh air along the way, then they should go. It will be good for them mentally and physically.

If the OP is an 82 year old with advanced emphysema, then they should probably stay in their house. The vast majority of us will only experience mild to moderate symptoms if we notice anything at all.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 03-14-2020 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 03:11 PM

16,536 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
There’s a place I really want to go. But I want to go without feeling guilty. What am I talking about? The coronavirus. Should I worry?
The only thing you have to fear, is fear itself.

Just wash your hands well before eating and enjoy your dining. The federal and state health officials just don't want people gathering in large groups.

`

Old 03-14-2020, 05:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:

I'm very skeptical as I am a cynic by nature, but I would not be surprised if the Coronavirus is politically motivated and used as a weapon against Trump. Just imagine if they had to cancel the election, ensuring Trump won't have to leave the White House.
I am very pro President Trump and feel that he is doing everything correctly. But, this is lunacy

Old 03-14-2020, 05:21 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are no illegals in the kitchen at Ivar's, in fact at that hour one person who we are familiar with, and one counter person. No illegals at the other place either, though there are still 2-3 at that hour. Obviously some risk, but then we are not totally paranoid and we have to keep some small sense of normalcy.
There probably aren't too many illegals in Wash. state.....closer to the border though and they are in most kitchens......

Old 03-14-2020, 06:32 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,247 times
Quote:

I'm very skeptical as I am a cynic by nature, but I would not be surprised if the Coronavirus is politically motivated and used as a weapon against Trump. Just imagine if they had to cancel the election, ensuring Trump won't have to leave the White House.
Uh, you do know that this virus is worldwide, don't you??

Tell the dead people that their illness was actually a political ploy involving one country's president. What a ridiculous thing to say. I'm flabbergasted.

Here's another one. And another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness