Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 07:17 AM

501 posts, read 359,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. I'm not an extremist at all. I've been to a restaurant in France yesterday just 24 hours before all restaurants were ordered closed by the government. However, we sat at a table on the patio.

At the same time, I do take this virus seriously and am not one to just blurt mindlessly "It's just the flu".

I read reputable news sources and listen to experts.

So I do give thought and tend to avoid extremes. The poster I was quoting just said he will go to a crowded restaurant as he always does because he doesn't worry. I just wanted to know if that was an informed decision on his part or just a head-in-the sand kind of attitude.
Well maybe we can agree "it's not just the flu".... you know the flu's that kill between 30,000 and 65,000 Americans EVERY YEAR. The Covid virus has got to get busy killing ALOT more people to reach the numbers of the flu.

China's numbers seem to be leveling off.

I listen to the numbers and to the scientists.

These numbers are very very rough approximations.

So the "death zone" seems to be elderly with underlying conditions. Overall the elderly with underlying issues have higher mortality rates.

Italy has had a pretty rapid spike in deaths - which seems to be due to Italy's older population and some health care availability issues.

On average , twice as many US citizens will die in car accidents today ,than the total number of deaths from the Covid.

On average, 135 US citizens die from the flu every day, compared to the 54 reported US Covid deaths.

It just seems to me there is alot of fear and overreaction going on in regards Covid and not enough reaction to "the flu" and other items such as obesity , diabetes, heart disease etc....

Use some good common sense - washing your hands frequently, do the social distancing thing and don't tailgate .

And you probably won't be apart of the .00000015 percentage of US citizens who have died from the Covid virus.

PS

Turn off the tv , news feeds and Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 07:30 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
Well maybe we can agree "it's not just the flu".... you know the flu's that kill between 30,000 and 65,000 Americans EVERY YEAR. The Covid virus has got to get busy killing ALOT more people to reach the numbers of the flu.

China's numbers seem to be leveling off.

I listen to the numbers and to the scientists.

These numbers are very very rough approximations.

So the "death zone" seems to be elderly with underlying conditions. Overall the elderly with underlying issues have higher mortality rates.

Italy has had a pretty rapid spike in deaths - which seems to be due to Italy's older population and some health care availability issues.

On average , twice as many US citizens will die in car accidents today ,than the total number of deaths from the Covid.

On average, 135 US citizens die from the flu every day, compared to the 54 reported US Covid deaths.

It just seems to me there is alot of fear and overreaction going on in regards Covid and not enough reaction to "the flu" and other items such as obesity , diabetes, heart disease etc....

Use some good common sense - washing your hands frequently, do the social distancing thing and don't tailgate .

And you probably won't be apart of the .00000015 percentage of US citizens who have died from the Covid virus.

PS

Infectious disease unchecked grows and it can grow exponentially. By the time you start taking effective measures against it it can spread through an entire population. That's what all the concern about coronavirus is all about. Unless you get in front of it and take aggressive measures to prevent the spread of the disease it will grow rapidly. I submit we really have no idea how many cases of coronavirus are present in this country because we are doing an insufficient amount of testing to determine the number of cases. The reality is that in states where it is claimed there are "ten cases" or "five cases" there is almost certainly much more of this disease and it is being spread to other people unknowingly.

This isn't influenza. Its more serious. We have about 3,000 diagnosed cases of coronavirus in America and sixty deaths. It doesn't sound like that much until you realize that sixty deaths is indicative of a 2% death rate from the disease. Health authorities are saying that its very possible that as much as 50-60% of our population may catch this disease. You do the math, there are estimates of 200,000 or more deaths ultimately.

Than there is the economic cost of this disease. Anyone with any money in the stock market knows what I am talking about.

This is nothing to minimize. This is nothing to be placid about. Limit your contact with the public. Stay out of crowds. Don't engage in unnecessary travel. Try your best to avoid sick people. If you suspect you are ill with coronavirus call your local health department and try to arrange a test. Above all, don't stick your head in the sand and pretend this is not a problem.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:43 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:

If everyone did this, the panic would decrease substantially.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:43 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you’re taking on blind faith that the illegals working in the kitchen don’t have it? I think anyone in the higher risk group should be avoiding restaurants.
Then YOU don't go to restaurants. It's a choice each person is free to make, and I won't live my life in fear either.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:11 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Its not so much living in fear. It's going out and possibly infecting people who are compromised. We need to protect each other and that is why everything is being canceled or closed.
Its really not that much of a hardship to stay home for the foreseeable future is it?

Old 03-15-2020, 10:18 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Then YOU don't go to restaurants. It's a choice each person is free to make, and I won't live my life in fear either.
So you catch it and pass it on to 20 other people before you show any symptoms. A real team player. The public health goal is to slash the transmission rate. If we do that, the hospitals don’t saturate with pneumonia cases. There are only 100,000 ICU beds in the country. When they’re full, people don’t get the care they need. Restaurants are pretty high risk because most employees don’t have paid sick time and most either have no insurance or really lousy insurance. A large percentage of them live paycheck to paycheck. They’re going to work sick.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:27 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
There’s a place I really want to go. But I want to go without feeling guilty. What am I talking about? The coronavirus. Should I worry?
Get take-away. If it's a place with a good rep and good hygiene, they wash hands and keep clean already.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:28 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
You're making the choice on behalf of those you interact with, as well. Ask the Italians.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:58 AM

501 posts, read 359,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Infectious disease unchecked grows and it can grow exponentially. By the time you start taking effective measures against it it can spread through an entire population. That's what all the concern about coronavirus is all about. Unless you get in front of it and take aggressive measures to prevent the spread of the disease it will grow rapidly. I submit we really have no idea how many cases of coronavirus are present in this country because we are doing an insufficient amount of testing to determine the number of cases. The reality is that in states where it is claimed there are "ten cases" or "five cases" there is almost certainly much more of this disease and it is being spread to other people unknowingly.

This isn't influenza. Its more serious. We have about 3,000 diagnosed cases of coronavirus in America and sixty deaths. It doesn't sound like that much until you realize that sixty deaths is indicative of a 2% death rate from the disease. Health authorities are saying that its very possible that as much as 50-60% of our population may catch this disease. You do the math, there are estimates of 200,000 or more deaths ultimately.

This is nothing to minimize. This is nothing to be placid about. Limit your contact with the public. Stay out of crowds. Don't engage in unnecessary travel. Try your best to avoid sick people. If you suspect you are ill with coronavirus call your local health department and try to arrange a test. Above all, don't stick your head in the sand and pretend this is not a problem.
I have no issue with the precautions that you have stated. In fact, I agree with them. My position is the problem is being blown out of proportion.

Let's start with the 2% death rate. That number is due to the low number of people being tested.

So using the 2% death rate and 50 % of the population catching the disease.

330,000,000 /2 = 165,000,000 *2% = 3,300,000. 3,300,000 deaths is substantially more than the 200,000 heath authorities are claiming. Garbage in = garbage out.

The numbers you posted are inaccurate.

PS. The numbers and the science of the virus should actually rule the day.

So much of the information being presented is not being presented with context.

Roughly 60 % of the deaths are in people 70 and older.

So the vast vast vast majority of Americans, under the age of 70, who get the virus ARE NOT going to die.

Read up on the current numbers out of South Korea and China.....

Old 03-15-2020, 11:09 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
Quote:
I have no issue with the precautions that you have stated. In fact, I agree with them. My position is the problem is being blown out of proportion.
So let’s say you go to the hospital a month from now with appendicitis and they tell you sorry, we have no room here, go somewhere else. You’re good with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness