Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 05:14 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

Yeah, if one is still open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 05:14 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,723 times
Actually, you might not be able to go out to eat soon - many states are prohibiting dine in service at restaurants.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:18 PM

1,837 posts, read 675,372 times
The governors are restricting dine in, but still allowing restaurants to still continue offering take out orders.

If I'm at a mom & pop restaurant in a strip mall in a suburb, and the restaurant is mostly empty but someone is sitting two tables away, there is some risk that customer could walk by on the way to the restroom or door, cough/sneeze and start spreading while I'm sitting and waiting for my meal.

Of course, there is a risk going to Walmart, and I'm waiting in line, and the person in front of me starts to cough.

But, better safe than sorry.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:40 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Actually, you might not be able to go out to eat soon - many states are prohibiting dine in service at restaurants.
Illinois has...but they'll likely allow drive through and pick-up/delivery. I guess they're ironing out the details.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:18 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
I have no issue with the precautions that you have stated. In fact, I agree with them. My position is the problem is being blown out of proportion.

Let's start with the 2% death rate. That number is due to the low number of people being tested.

So using the 2% death rate and 50 % of the population catching the disease.

330,000,000 /2 = 165,000,000 *2% = 3,300,000. 3,300,000 deaths is substantially more than the 200,000 heath authorities are claiming. Garbage in = garbage out.

The numbers you posted are inaccurate.

PS. The numbers and the science of the virus should actually rule the day.

So much of the information being presented is not being presented with context.

Roughly 60 % of the deaths are in people 70 and older.

So the vast vast vast majority of Americans, under the age of 70, who get the virus ARE NOT going to die.

Read up on the current numbers out of South Korea and China.....
I'm confused. Are you saying that we shouldn't be overly concerned about a disease that will kill 200,000 people?

Are you saying that since most of the people who die are age 70 or older that we shouldn't let that bother us?

Actually, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates mortality from coronavirus at 3.4% That might skew your numbers a bit too.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona.../#who-03-03-20

Its clear to me that even with the best and most carefully estimates this has the potential to be a very deadly disease.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:29 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,602 times
We went out to eat last night.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:00 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,906,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
This exactly. There is a lot of media-fueled speculation and assumptions out there these days. And way too little common sense.
From Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases:

"Our job, our challenge is to try and make that (the worst) not happen. But to think, if we go about our daily lives and not worry about everything, that it's not going to happen, it could happen. And it could be worse.

To me, that's a real impetus to take very seriously the kinds of things -- I might make a point that people sometimes think that you're overreacting. I like it when people are thinking, I'm overreacting, because that means we're doing it just right."

Old 03-16-2020, 12:23 PM

1,837 posts, read 675,372 times
NJ, CT and NY just implemented curfews. Not only is restaurant business limited to only take out/deliveries now, everyone must be home by 8pm, meaning restaurants that participate in any take out business will likely have to close earlier in the night.

The curfew goes well beyond restaurant/dining, and except for essential need, everyone has to be home by 8.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/new-...50-people.html

https://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ow/5058142002/

Relevant to NJ:
Other "non-essential" businesses not listed can remain open during the day if they make sure no more than 50 people are inside the establishment, and ensure people stay six feet apart. They must close by 8 p.m. each night. I wonder how establishments will enforce the six feet apart rule.

Last edited by g555; 03-16-2020 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-16-2020, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
But as has been said on other threads it is questionable as to whether the government can shut down a restaurant or business period unless the have violated some laws. I don't know. We will find out soon enough when the governor of CA tries to do it.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:39 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Illinois has...but they'll likely allow drive through and pick-up/delivery. I guess they're ironing out the details.
Same in NYC as of today. If the OP didn't already go, they might have missed their window. Now they wont get to try that place for another 6 months, except on a takeout/delivery level.

I guess its the right thing to do, but the hardship to restaurant/bar owners and their employees is very real too. Many of these people have kids to feed and I really feel for them right now. To think it will be like this for another 6 months makes the state of family life for these people "CRITICAL".

God bless us one and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness