Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 04:52 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You still have to touch the screen. Punch in the bar code number on your apples, punch in how many bunches of scallions you have, etc. Punch in what method you’re using to pay. Actual paying doesn’t usually require anything but sliding the card in. I don’t have to sign in most cases at least in the supermarket.
What? No it doesn’t you just tap the screen with your phone and are done unless you use the self checkout. Avoid using that lane. It might take longer, but that is up to you. I typically avoid self pay unless I have one item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 09:42 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I've always been grossed out by touching those pads at grocery stores, but nowadays, I'm even more concerned about other people's hands and index fingers. I don't have a stylus but I found a diy stylus pen build that uses a q-tip, pen, aluminum foil, tape and a drop of water here:

https://www.google.com/search?client...Gk_Qa30qaABQ88

It's a youtube video, and that's the link I used,...I'm sure there's many other builds out there.

I don't have a tablet/etc that I could test it on, so I downloaded (free) from google play

ibisPaint X

and tested my stylus on it for signing and it worked on my phone. I don't yet know if it will work at, say, Walmart for signing for pickups (or anywhere else yet). I'll let you know if/when I do, but perhaps if someone else tries it they will come back and tell us if it worked.

So if you don't have a stylus and do want to keep your fingers away from what others are touching, hopefully this will work for you. Just build at home and keep it in your car/pocket. Then chuck the q-tip when your done and add in another at home to keep it in your car/pocket as needed. Perhaps use gloves to remove q-tip? Or a wipe? And keep bottled water in your car if you don't already.

Many may already know about this diy, but I'm betting many don't. It might be very useful these days.

NOTE: do make sure the aluminum foil touches both the cotton and the pen.
Oh my gosh styluses are cheap. Buy one!!

Old 03-14-2020, 09:53 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
But you can't write your signature with gloves. They'll work with what you speak of, but all those finger-signing pads won't work with gloves.
Uhm...what's a signature for? I just put in my PIN.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:08 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,908,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This thing is just more bizzare by the day.. I am not going to worry about the check out stand or using the machine. What next can people find to worry about?
Brains, not bravado, are what we need right now. If someone just coughed on the checkout, virus can be transmitted. It takes very simple steps to protect yourself and others. I pick up a sanitizing wipe as I enter the grocery store, wipe the handle of the basket or cart and keep the wipe to run over the checkout touch pad. You not only have the responsibility to protect yourself, but the more vulnerable people around you.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:11 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,908,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You can buy a 10-pack of stylus for $10 at Walmart.
Check any freebie pens you have lying around. A lot of them have that rubber end that is meant to be used as a stylus.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:14 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
But you can't write your signature with gloves. They'll work with what you speak of, but all those finger-signing pads won't work with gloves.

Money will do the trick.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:19 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh my gosh styluses are cheap. Buy one!!
Actually, since someone here said how much they were (I had no idea), I did order some. That's one of the good things about the internet....we can (sometimes ) teach each other a thing or two.

However, I'm certain there are people who don't have a spare $10, and now I guess this post is for them. And for others who haven't yet bought a stylus.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, there are many ways to pay, clearly. I use my card as a credit card, which requires me to sign. I guess you use yours as a debit.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Brains, not bravado, are what we need right now.
This.

All the poo-poo'ers are a big part of the problem. Dismissing smart, socially-responsible actions as "panic". They're just too cool for the rest of us.

I don't see any panic. I see work to prepare. Let's hope the reason to prepare is small, but let's prepare nonetheless.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I would never unless I had to use my pin like for gas at Costco. But, they're 'on it'.
In the USA we had too many hackers - let's see - Target was one ---that last thing I need
is someone having access to my personal bank acct.
Again, not worried and am calm, don't need to 'relax' - just cautious and read the News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness