Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 05:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
All the armchair quarterbacks have emerged. "Lack of leadership blah blah blah."

Were you calling for social distancing back in January? In February?

Back when there were 11 cases in the U.S., how many people were calling it a national emergency?

This is a new bug, far more contagious than anyone realized even a few weeks ago. We stopped flights from China as soon as we knew they had an epidemic, and that bought us several weeks or months.

I wish people would stop bashing the president like he was supposed to be clairvoyant. Calm down, wash your hands, and let's work on beating this thing.
Maybe he shouldn’t of ran his mouth about something he knows nothing about.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...and what is Trump's dictum based on? Now that he's (finally) jumped on the bandwagon does he just want to go more extreme than the real authorities?
or for G sake, give him credit for something. We all realize he under reacted at the beginning but now, he is doing his best to protect us. Over reaction who knows? Is it better to be safe than sorry? If you don't want to follow his advise that is your choice, but did you see what the Gov or Colo did yesterday? Was he going to far as well? I am one of those who did not take this seriously in the beginning, I still think there is an over reaction but I also think we need to listen to the President as well as those in authority around us.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:45 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Look - Trump himself said the whole coronovirus thing was a HOAX meant to hurt him. He didn't just lack the knowledge - he DENIED REALITY. So yeah, we'll fight this thing but we'll also remember exactly what his initial reaction was, as our President.
He never called the Corona virus a hoax. Check snopes and any number of other reputable sources.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:49 AM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
He never called the Corona virus a hoax. Check snopes and any number of other reputable sources.
Problem is his messaging was poor. Plenty Trump supporters I know came away with the message that it is literally a hoax.

We've had 4 Trump supporters we know, claim exactly that.

"This is a big hoax, this is not worse than the flu, this just the Dems and the media trying to hurt Trump."

So while you can split his sentence down and say "he did not specifically say exactly that", that's the MESSAGE that got across to a lot of people, and a lot of them are Trump supporters.

Bottom line, overall he downplayed the heck out of this. I'm glad that yesterday he seemed to get the reality of the situation, for whatever reason.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
I was just about to say that as well: he said the media is making too much out of it but he never said the virus was a hoax. The left just wants to make this into a political discussion rather than what it really is. I guess we have to remember, those blaming him know more than he does about everything. I wonder how many of them took this seriously from day one?

Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
He did downplay it that’s caught on video.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:04 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
He did downplay it that’s caught on video.
I am not denying that he downplayed it. That's a separate matter.

A good leader has to balance what he says, to take effective action while not instilling panic.

In my opinion, he did the right things, avoided panic while banning flights from China early on.

Whether his subsequent actions were sufficient can be debated. No one's perfect. I would give him some credit for bringing in a team of experts and letting them take the microphone at the briefings.

Trump has a hilarious rhetorical style, annoying to some, but not to those of us who get it

Old 03-17-2020, 09:10 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Look - Trump himself said the whole coronovirus thing was a HOAX meant to hurt him. He didn't just lack the knowledge - he DENIED REALITY. So yeah, we'll fight this thing but we'll also remember exactly what his initial reaction was, as our President.
No, you're perpetuating the hoax. He said the media's criticism of his handling the situation was a hoax.

Quote:
...and what is Trump's dictum based on? Now that he's (finally) jumped on the bandwagon does he just want to go more extreme than the real authorities?
The real authorities are just guessing-- IMHO- incorrectly. Trump is closer to the truth: Let's analyze the situation:

Suppose you go to the Rose Bowl attended by 100,00 people...How many are close enough to you to expose you to the virus?---Just the 10 or 12 people you come in close contact with "in your space." The other 99,990 are too far away from you to expose you....

...So, in any gathering of any size, that's the same argument: only those that get within your 10 ft bubble can hurt you....With Trump's recommendation of only 10 at time, it's presumed you can have some degree of adequate screening/exclusion--For the 100,000, maybe some symptomatic people could slip in.

Right now, the infection rate per capita here is on the order of 1 in 100,000-- but that's misleading because some smaller areas have a much higher rate and some have a much lower rate. Using the over-all rate, only one person in the Rose Bowl could be expected to be infective.

I'm not sure a proscription on mass gatherings is called for at this point-- but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry....

We're working under the burden of too little experience/data to give scientifically supportable recommendations. Hopefully, it will turn out that we are being too cautious, rather than not cautious enough.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:39 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
No, you're perpetuating the hoax. He said the media's criticism of his handling the situation was a hoax.

The real authorities are just guessing-- IMHO- incorrectly. Trump is closer to the truth: Let's analyze the situation:

Suppose you go to the Rose Bowl attended by 100,00 people...How many are close enough to you to expose you to the virus?---Just the 10 or 12 people you come in close contact with "in your space." The other 99,990 are too far away from you to expose you....

...So, in any gathering of any size, that's the same argument: only those that get within your 10 ft bubble can hurt you....With Trump's recommendation of only 10 at time, it's presumed you can have some degree of adequate screening/exclusion--For the 100,000, maybe some symptomatic people could slip in.

Right now, the infection rate per capita here is on the order of 1 in 100,000-- but that's misleading because some smaller areas have a much higher rate and some have a much lower rate. Using the over-all rate, only one person in the Rose Bowl could be expected to be infective.

I'm not sure a proscription on mass gatherings is called for at this point-- but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry....
We're working under the burden of too little experience/data to give scientifically supportable recommendations. Hopefully, it will turn out that we are being too cautious, rather than not cautious enough.

A. It's no hoax - the media criticism is spot on about him.
B. SERIOUSLY?? Trump is closer to the truth than the scientists? And YOUR "math" is correct over theirs? This, right here, is where one would put the term "UGLY AMERICAN"

"Ugly American" is a stereotype depicting American citizens as exhibiting loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless, ignorant, and ethnocentric behavior mainly abroad, but also at home https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American_(pejorative)

Your last 2 sentences do make sense. But news abounds with his complacency about all this.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:45 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,069,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Maybe he shouldn’t of ran his mouth about something he knows nothing about.
He cant himself - its a compulsion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness