Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 10:43 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

I go to work everyday and what I have noticed is the roads are clear. We are taking a lot of extra precautions at work. Each of the entrances has people checking visitors for the Corona Virus and any other illness before allowing them to enter. We have closed many of the entrances to our campus. Patients are allowed only one visitor. No visitors other than the father allowed in Maternity.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:05 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Here in Phoenix just started to close down all non essential business. I was sent home to work remote a week ago I know others who are not allowed to work remote even though they can. One friend his manager said their team needs to be at work he doesn't want his employees goofing off at home claims this is all over blown. He just told them if they feel sick to go home take sick time. I told my friend that if one is found to have the virus the entire office will be sent home and they won't be working.

I find working remote is more stressful my manager seems to be concerned people are not working so he is constantly calling asking for things only later to say he didn't need it. When this is over I will be looking for other work I was going to find another job this summer anyway.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:13 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Last Friday night (about a week ago), I went to a ticketed social event where there were very strict rules about serving food as an acknowledgement of the threat. People made a point not to come into contact with each other. That was really my last social exposure. I've stayed in except for stopping at drive thrus, a trip to get groceries and a dog agility class. The agility class required that everyone stay in their car until it was time to run their dog. I washed my hands before I left and upon returning home. The next day, the facility shut down except for private lessons involving just one instructor and student in a large, well-ventilated building.

Here in Denver, bars and restaurants are closed down except for takeout orders. Grocery stores are open. Other stores are closed. My father's memorycare facility is on lockdown. My group meetings are all done via video chat now.

I'm not stressed by any of this. But I do worry for people who are more vulnerable healthwise and financially.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:55 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Things are pretty normal where we live in the US. Most factories are open. Traffic is lighter than normal, but mostly because school/college is out.

Going fishing tomorrow at a large recreational lake near me. Heard the fish are biting like crazy because people are staying home. The lake is HUGE, so an extremely low chance my son and I will run into any "humans"!!

Old 03-20-2020, 10:11 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
I’ve been in UK and Ireland since March 1 so I’ve missed the crazy panic in the US but will be home shortly so I’ll soon see it for myself. Here in Ireland there seems to be a recognition of the health challenge and the impact on the economy but no one is scaring themselves silly. There seems to be a community spirit — 30,000 people volunteered to help the medical efforts when the government put out a call for volunteers with some medical experience. It is a bit reassuring when everyone pulls together. Pubs were “asked” to close and they did. Social distances are observed in restaurants (cutting capacity and business). Our hotel closed but they sent us to their ‘sister’ hotel, a Westin, that honored our reservation. Now the Westin has consolidated to one floor for lack of business. Layoffs are mounting quickly— I saw a figure of 144,000 and more to come. People are out doing routine things. Transportation is working. Nonessential things like museums or sports are shut down, schools and universities are closed, large gatherings are banned— but you can buy groceries and some shops are open and some restaurants.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:51 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I went to the post office and nobody wore masks. The mask is there to prevent the spread and has some protection too. If the math models are correct and no vaccine then we are looking at 1 million death by year's end.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:54 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Last Friday night (about a week ago), I went to a ticketed social event where there were very strict rules about serving food as an acknowledgement of the threat. People made a point not to come into contact with each other. That was really my last social exposure. I've stayed in except for stopping at drive thrus, a trip to get groceries and a dog agility class. The agility class required that everyone stay in their car until it was time to run their dog. I washed my hands before I left and upon returning home. The next day, the facility shut down except for private lessons involving just one instructor and student in a large, well-ventilated building.

Here in Denver, bars and restaurants are closed down except for takeout orders. Grocery stores are open. Other stores are closed. My father's memorycare facility is on lockdown. My group meetings are all done via video chat now.

I'm not stressed by any of this. But I do worry for people who are more vulnerable healthwise and financially.
You need tp go to Paramus NJ and get tested. You are exposed to air droplets being indoors in a social gathering with a lot of strangers the perfect breeding ground for viruses if it's cool and dry. Without people wearing masks, social distance is not enough if in an enclosed room with people talking.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
The markets are not on any normal routine and when they will be back, who knows. I've been getting grocery delivery twice a month from a major market and had a delivery scheduled for Sunday and got notification that it's cancelled due to what we're going thru with the virus.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:39 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
I'm in Mesa AZ (Phoenix metro). No one seems concerned. No social distancing. The AZ governor finally, today, did shut down bars, gyms, theaters (most already closed on their own), moved restaurants to carry out/delivery only etc, but only for the six counties with confirmed virus cases. A 7th county acquired a case late today, wonder when he'll shut down the whole state? The dude simply does not understand the concept of "flattening the curve". However, I do give him credit for one idea -he's mobilized the state national guard and they will be helping the grocery stores and food banks, moving inventory and stocking.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:44 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The markets are not on any normal routine and when they will be back, who knows. I've been getting grocery delivery twice a month from a major market and had a delivery scheduled for Sunday and got notification that it's cancelled due to what we're going thru with the virus.
And this is a good example of another unintended consequence that causes problems, because you are in a high risk category and have mobility issues. You can't go to the store and shop for yourself, even with special hours, correct? Are you having a friend or neighbor shop for you?

I would think that just as stores are now offering people in high risk groups early shopping hours, priority should go to them for deliveries as well. Not sure how the logistics would work though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness