Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 06:54 AM

209 posts, read 251,711 times

Advertisements

I personally feel as soon as the Coronavirus outbreak dramatically happened in China during December 2019, which everyone in the whole world knew, the United Nations should have made a mandate to all of the countries in the world to stop all plane travels to and from China to contain the virus with the exception of allowing visitors to go back to the country they are citizens of or have legal statuses, but make them immediately quarantined by mandate. There were already some reported cases globally already and now it just dramatically increased because they did not place enough travel restrictions. The other countries did not take this seriously and continued to allow people to come in and out of countries and only implemented voluntary quarantines only if they exhibited symptoms instead of mandated quarantines and wrongfully assumed that if the person had no symptoms, they would be fine, but as it turns out, a person can have it without having any symptoms and pass it onto somebody else that may have weaker immune systems or have health issues and then they end up becoming even more sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 06:59 AM

11,598 posts, read 5,642,305 times
People have been traveling globally to all nations for the past 3 months. There is no doubt in my mind that the Covid virus has been in the US since Jan when a lot of overseas students were returning to college. I'm sure it was here before that and no one really thought it was anything different than the flu. We just didn't know about it because we weren't testing for it. You can see the jump in cases everyday - not because it is that more contagious but because we are getting more positive tests in a society where it's already infected people.

None of this should be the focus though - the focus should be on finding an antidote and flattening the curve so we can start containing it.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:33 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,037,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
So how many of you feel as I do....that what we had was very likely Coronavirus? If it was, it means that we all know a lot more about this threat than we realized and, if it was, it gives rise to many more questions and provides so much food for thought and discussion about what's going on right now. We can get to that, but first I want to see how much consensus we have here.
I was suspicious of it at the time and still am. It was just after the holidays when a lot of people were traveling, including my GC. Dry cough and high fever that couldn't be reduced was a virus we had never seen before. No sore throat, congestion, sneezing or other typical flu/cold symptoms. She was taken to the ER twice during that time because of the high fever, was observed for a while and then sent home because she had no other symptoms besides the dry cough.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:40 AM

7,212 posts, read 4,489,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I was suspicious of it at the time and still am. It was just after the holidays when a lot of people were traveling, including my GC. Dry cough and high fever that couldn't be reduced was a virus we had never seen before.
Bingo. On mine I could not knock the fever down with Motrin. I thought that was so unusual I actually looked at the bottle's expiration date to see if it had expired. Usually one Motrin can knock a fever down 2 points in 1 day.

This nope.

I didn't travel but work in a city with a lot of foreign students and take the subway line that goes to the airport.

But liberals don't want this to be true so they can claim that Trump failed by not testing people and isolating them... but the truth is, this was already common before anyone knew it was a thing.

And also, probably about 25 % of the population are immune.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:07 AM

9,310 posts, read 14,216,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Dry cough and high fever ... No sore throat, congestion, sneezing or other typical flu/cold symptoms ...
East coast here. No one in my family had been seriously ill for years.

But this year in early February sickness with same symptoms broke out at my child's middle school, he and five others had to take 15 days off before returning to school. Child was diagnosed with supposedly Influenza A, then passed it on to elementary school sibling, also diagnosed with supposedly Influenza A, but milder symptoms, and to me also relatively minor symptoms, but I did continue coughing up phlegm for a few weeks after and used a nebulizer with medicine left over from years ago, and it helped clear it out.

We all took Tamiflu, but I don't think it helped any.

Another child at same middle school had two rounds of sickness in December and late January, supposedly both Influenza A and Influenza B

Funny thing, pediatrician warned us that this string of illnesses during these weeks was nothing in comparison to what was coming later this winter.

I am not sure if he had CoViD-19 in mind, but he did have a premonition that has borne out in the event.

I know this cute little anecdote doesn't prove anything, but it sort of fits in with this thread.

All the best!

Old 03-21-2020, 08:08 AM

386 posts, read 167,628 times
The first case in china started in December of 2019, ok! Stop eating anteaters for pete's sake.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:52 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,651,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
People have been traveling globally to all nations for the past 3 months. There is no doubt in my mind that the Covid virus has been in the US since Jan when a lot of overseas students were returning to college. I'm sure it was here before that and no one really thought it was anything different than the flu. We just didn't know about it because we weren't testing for it. You can see the jump in cases everyday - not because it is that more contagious but because we are getting more positive tests in a society where it's already infected people.

None of this should be the focus though - the focus should be on finding an antidote and flattening the curve so we can start containing it.
Yep, that is the view I lean toward. Most of the media is portraying this as something that is spreading like a wildfire in just the last handful of weeks. It may have spread like wildfire, but that happened many, many weeks before.

On containment....I don't see how that could possibly be a realistic goal at this point. If our suspicion is true, this virus is everywhere and distribution probably rivals that of the common cold. If not today, it surely won't be long no matter what we do.

My thoughts are still evolving, but I'm leaning toward the view that what we are doing will be, in the long term, more harmful than helpful. Few, if any, of the powers-that-be have given sufficient thought to the catastrophic far-reaching effects of their actions on many millions of people for a long, long time to come. There is no getting around the fact that shutting down our country for weeks on end is an economic disaster the likes of which no one alive has ever seen. The effects will be so massive that no one could come close to seeing them all today.

I think we've got as much chance of containing this as we have of containing the common cold. We're going to have to shift gears very soon.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:11 AM

7,212 posts, read 4,489,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
On containment....I don't see how that could possibly be a realistic goal at this point. If our suspicion is true, this virus is everywhere and distribution probably rivals that of the common cold. If not today, it surely won't be long no matter what we do.
You will also notice not one story on this in the media. Though when I mentioned this to my doctor she reported that many of her patients had already reported this.

Clearly the liberal media does not want that to be discovered because if it was there would be three obvious facts:

1. The death rate is likely much lower than what they are selling.
2. Many people who are sheltering have had it and are immune.
3. the better option for people under 50 is to just get it and have it over with.

This will not advance the panic and economic destruction the liberals want.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:14 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,731,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
How about sharing with us your startling revelation? I had a horrible upper respiratory infection last year at this time, and quite honestly, I felt like I was gonna die from it. It was brutal and the first 2 weeks were horrible, it took 6 weeks to finally end.

Is it a possibility I had this virus? I didn't have any trouble breathing, so I don't think so, and I didn't cough until weeks 5-6.
I had that in late September. It was brutal. My husband has had bronchitis for over a month now. It's the second time in a year that he's had this. It's very similar to what I had in September and early October. Could this be an early version of Covid? It's possible that the virus could have mutated into something more insidious. We will never know. That being said, I will not take a chance with Covid. I need surgery as soon as this is over and my husband could be in bad shape if he catches Covid on top of what he has now.

He was feeling better and the sore throat and headache started coming back. I took apple cider vinegar, about a tablespoon, and put it in half a glass of water. I had him take it and hold it in the back of his throat for as long as he could hold it and then gargle with it. I also swabbed inside his nose with 90% rubbing alcohol. After that I gave him a zinc lozenge and told him to keep it as far back in his throat and let it melt away, and not to suck on it. He said he's better today.

I had a bit of a sore throat and headache last week and I tried it and felt better. I had to do it about three times and so far, I'm fine.
When I was working as a Respiratory Therapist we had to swab everyone's mouth with Chlorhexidine every shift. It did reduce the amount of ventilator acquired pneumonia's, so that got me thinking. Our mouths and noses are reservoirs for germs. What can we do to kill them? This is all I had on hand. Why not try it?

Old 03-21-2020, 09:21 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,651,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
East coast here. No one in my family had been seriously ill for years.

But this year in early February sickness with same symptoms broke out at my child's middle school, he and five others had to take 15 days off before returning to school. Child was diagnosed with supposedly Influenza A, then passed it on to elementary school sibling, also diagnosed with supposedly Influenza A, but milder symptoms, and to me also relatively minor symptoms, but I did continue coughing up phlegm for a few weeks after and used a nebulizer with medicine left over from years ago, and it helped clear it out.

We all took Tamiflu, but I don't think it helped any.

Another child at same middle school had two rounds of sickness in December and late January, supposedly both Influenza A and Influenza B

Funny thing, pediatrician warned us that this string of illnesses during these weeks was nothing in comparison to what was coming later this winter.

I am not sure if he had CoViD-19 in mind, but he did have a premonition that has borne out in the event.

I know this cute little anecdote doesn't prove anything, but it sort of fits in with this thread.

All the best!
Yes, it does....thank you.

In my earlier description of my own bout with this, I failed to mention coughing. I guess maybe because I never had what I would call a major cough, though I did cough up phlegm periodically for most of time I had it. I would call what I had a bronchitis cough - and occasionally saw some blood mixed with it as I have had before with bronchitis. This was a bronchitis cough, but the big difference was that this one went on....and on....and on. I had at least 3 weeks of simultaneous nasal and chest discharge.

For me, the two things that most stood out as setting this apart from anything else I'd ever had in 70 years were first, the nose running. I mean a gusher - like literally dripping at a fast pace from my nose if I took the hanky away for 2 seconds. Have never had anything like it. Second, the duration. Though I was never even close to deathly sick, it just wouldn't end. In the past, I've had countless colds and I don't think any ever took me more than 3 or 4 days to shake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness