Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 12:57 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times

Advertisements

In many areas schools are closed due to the coronavirus. I believe the idea was to keep children home to avoid spreading the disease. However I see school aged children in every store I have shopped. I have seen mothers with one, two, three, and even four children. Many of them sneezing, sniffling, coughing, etc.
What's worse is the local food markets are trying to set the early morning hours aside for seniors in order to avoid contact with the younger shoppers who are less vulnerable to the coronavirus.

If we really wanted to curb the spread of the disease wouldn't it be better to limit shopping trips to one shopper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 01:12 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
You're seeing kids in stores because (ironically, also due to Covid-19) if one spouse is lucky enough to be working they don't have anyone to watch their closed-school, closed-daycare kids while they shop. Other than a nice crowded public park there are few destinations/attractions to park them at. Where else do you want them to sit? In the trunk?

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-20-2020 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 01:23 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You're seeing kids in stores because (ironically, also due to Covid-19) if one spouse is lucky enough to be working they don't have anyone to watch their closed-school, closed-daycare kids with while they shop. Other than a nice crowded public park there are few destinations/attractions to park them at. Where else do you want them to leave them? In the trunk?
^ This. It's an unintended consequence. Many households are single parent, or there's two parents, but one has to continue to work outside the home (that's the case in our house), so the kids have to come with whichever parent is out running errands.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:07 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
I agree when young children are involved but I seen mothers with children ranging in age for elementary school to teens. Please don't tell us that teenagers are not capable of supervising younger siblings. I saw mothers with husband and children.

Secondly, if anyone watched any of the local news shows in my area they surely would have seen the announcements that food markets were trying to reserve early shopping hours for seniors. If their kids are out of school and they are out of work then why not shop in the afternoon?

I think it pretty much equates to the college students on spring break. They really don't give a damn as long as they are served and satisfied.
One person shopping is like a single engine plane, but when you add three or four children it's like that plane was converted to a crop duster spreading coronavirus.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:12 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Secondly, if anyone watched any of the local news shows in my area they surely would have seen the announcements that food markets were trying to reserve early shopping hours for seniors. If their kids are out of school and they are out of work then why not shop in the afternoon?
Because...umm...by the afternoon the high-demand items have disappeared from the shelves, even with a one- or two-item limit in place. Around here the stores are restocking as best they can every night, but if you want to have a chance at toilet paper, ground beef, eggs, etc., you need to get to the store as early as you can.

Many stores are letting just seniors in for the first 30 or 60 minutes. I was in line at Trader Joe's yesterday when they did this, and there were perhaps ten seniors (65+) who got to step forward and go first. Everyone was happy to see them get to go first, and 30 minutes is an adequate amount of time. They don't need to give seniors ALL the morning hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness