Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 12:48 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
We’re going hard to prevent further spread.

But in a few months when this virus continues to spread anyway, we’ll start the economy again before we have a full blown global riot on our hands.
They are not trying to prevent the spread as in containment, they are trying to slow it down so the medical system does not get overwhelmed by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 02:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
There's no evidence in a few months it will spread like now. Once the peak is hit, it will start to decline. It might go away, too. They're not sure yet. Or, there may be a seasonality to this like colds and flu's. We started late in the season. And, as more people get it, there will be more immunity in the population and it won't hit as hard.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM

13,649 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Don't all animals practice self-defense and self-protection for themselves, their young, and even their "social group"? Why would humans be an exception?!
Humans have attained flights of generosity and broadmindedness, far beyond that of animals; and they've also sunk to levels of cruelty and depravity, far below that of animals. I'm not sure how relevant would an animal-model be. Animals, as far as we know, have never fought religious-wars, or built concentration camps. Animals have never enslaved members of their own species as slaves. But then again, neither have animals created art, or made discoveries for discovery's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
So you are opposed to the practice of medicine? Because that is what you are saying.
I can't presume to speak for the poster whom you quoted, but speaking personally, I'm opposed to the idea of medicine-at-all-costs. Sometimes the struggle isn't worth it. Sometime it is better to go against our animal-nature (see response above) to voluntarily resign, whereas an animal would have kept on fighting. Sometimes the honorable thing to do, is for the patient to refuse treatment. And sometimes, perhaps, the honorable thing to do, is for "the system" to not pursue treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I think the reason, OP, is death denial. Some people can't "go there," even though it is inevitable for us all.
Indeed. One of my favorite books, by Ernest Becker: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Denial_of_Death

The central problem is that alone among animals, we can ponder the abstract question of our lives' finitude. For example, how much of the desire for money, is less about obtaining wherewithal for the buying of goods and services, and more about an escape from one's own finitude? Likewise in publishing scholarly works, or even the leaving of posts archived on an internet forum.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:20 PM

829 posts, read 629,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
They are not trying to prevent the spread as in containment, they are trying to slow it down so the medical system does not get overwhelmed by it.
I initially wondered why they were fighting the spread to such an extent - figuring we'd get it, hoping we'd get over it and move on, as we do with other illnesses. When we started to hear about "flattening the curve", it made sense to try to keep the rate of infection down to such a level that the medical system would be able to respond and handle it. Italy is an example of the type of choices medical professionals have had to make in who they treat when there aren't adequate resources to treat everyone. Italy has a large elderly population, second only to Japan, I believe it is, and that may explain why so many have died.

I have read that hospitals in the US are developing a protocol should that happen here so the staff is educated and each one isn't feeling they're playing God and making a decision on their own. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a chance of survival than to be among those sacrificed for someone younger.

I never thought we'd see something like this. Hope everyone stays safe and remains well.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:01 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
The reason we fight this disease because it disrupts our way of life. If we just let it kill the weak and keep population under control then age expectancy is not going to be longer than it is today.

If we didn't have flu vaccine, the Spanish Flu and H1N1 will still be killing lots of healthy people today as it still does but only people who have underlying conditions.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
There's no evidence in a few months it will spread like now. Once the peak is hit, it will start to decline. It might go away, too. They're not sure yet. Or, there may be a seasonality to this like colds and flu's. We started late in the season. And, as more people get it, there will be more immunity in the population and it won't hit as hard.
It will dive down once the flu season is over and the sick will get better and if the measures are in place it should flatten the curve. It just takes more time than taking drastic measure like in Asia where an entire city is locked down.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
There is no indication it will go away on it's own....soon. Given the rate of growth in a few weeks we will be into many 100's of thousands of cases....maybe more.

There is no herd immunity unless virtually everyone gets it. So having one million people get it won't do any good.

It's fairy warm in LA and S. Cal......I do believe warmth will help slightly as compared with cold (this is true of most all respiratory viruses). But I don't think it was cold on those cruise ships that got it.

What scientific mechanism would make it go away in April?

It could mutate for the better....or worse...but going away? I don't see it and didn't hear that from Dr Fauci as a real possibility. In fact, he was more open to saying it could come back in waves even if it waned.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:40 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
In the wild, in nature; the old, weak and sick are the first to die. The gene pool then gets strengthened.

We humans are no exception. Why are we messing with what we can't conquer?
A virus could wipe out all humans, theoretically. An expert or two has warned that viruses are the single biggest threat to mankind.

Part of why we fight illnesses & diseases is that (1) because that's what humans do,and why they have advanced more than other animals; (2) we value human life; (3) It would crater the world economy, so many more would die of starvation and other illnesses from lack of health care, no money to provide shelter or buy health care (it's a for-profit business here).

But I get the theory. That's part of nature.

But you could also ask why do we keep a preemie alive...considering the cost & the disabilities the baby will have as a result. Why should we treat any illness? Why do we amputate limbs to save a life? Why do we treat cancer, when by definition just getting cancer means the person is weaker than someone else. And so on.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:40 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
F* that. I'm old, but I'm not done living yet.

If you want to sacrifice yourself for the good of the human race, step right up.
Can't rep you yet, but Amen to that. I feel the same way

We need to keep this new virus from reaching a flashpoint and totally getting out of control like Italy. And, we need to keep the curve down until a vaccine is developed and brought to market.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:21 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Doctors don't know yet if humans build up a resistance to it. Our best bet is a vaccine, which maybe we'll get in a year.

This virus isn't a new strain of the flu. It's much worse, at its worst. The lungs get very congested very fast. Sounds like pneumonia, doesn't it? No one knows. But there's no indication of what it does in warm months vs cold months. It's spreading rapidly in Louisiana, where there is no winter/cold month to speak of (subtropical climate). It's spreading rapidly while temps are in the 70s & 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness