Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,522,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
In the wild, in nature; the old, weak and sick are the first to die. The gene pool then gets strengthened.

We humans are no exception. Why are we messing with what we can't conquer?
In nature, it lets the stupid die faster as well.

The old, weak, and sick no longer contribute new entrants to the gene pool. So it makes no difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 08:41 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Animals, and human animals will fight like hell to live...they may not make it but they'll do everything they can to hang on until they are strong again. That's what I'll do and I'm pretty sure that's what the OP will do...is that the definition of being "fit" - fighting to live? Whatever, it's semantics.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:24 PM

4,178 posts, read 4,422,041 times
Thread reminded me of this Fifth Dimension song I haven;t heard in a long long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0tww3BjjMs

Old 03-20-2020, 09:38 PM

703 posts, read 610,797 times
Quote:
In the wild, in nature; the old, weak and sick are the first to die. The gene pool then gets strengthened.

Because that's what people do. We solve problems. We make progress. We learn We understand. We do not take "no" for an answer. That's for animals without big brains or opposable thumbs. They just gotta sit there and take it. We don't.

And the part about we cannot conquer this? What da....? Of course we can. We've been conquering things for what? Like 50,000 years? Yes, sometimes we are victims of our own success and have to retro fit a fix for that too. (I know somebody is going to catch that so I pre-empted a pointless discussion)

And all that thinking and all that learning and conquering and all that arts & crafts with the thumbs is perfectly natural.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:48 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
F* that. I'm old, but I'm not done living yet.

If you want to sacrifice yourself for the good of the human race, step right up.

I'm not "old" but I hear that and don't want anyone going before its their time if there's still a chance that folks can be saved!

Old 03-20-2020, 11:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times
Quote:

I take it you refuse all medical treatments?

Well, that's OK for you. Many of us, however, LIKE a world where almost all children can be expected to grow up, and where most of us can expect a vigorous old age. Caring too much about the health of other people is a good problem to have.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times
Quote:

Go have a child and then watch it die from some disease/sickness. Tell the doc stop messing with saving my child’s life. Now say it’s ok it’s just natural selection at work. Im hungry I’m gonna have a burger.

We don’t live in the wild and we have these things called compassion emotions and critical thinking. You know the whole thinking big brain thing. And while you may not care I don’t particularly want people to die because of some virus. So if I had the power I would want to save people. Pretty much every research now is trying to kill this thing. You think we won’t be able to at least put up a fight....you don’t know humanity that well. We may kill each other and hate the guy next to us but you get a third party between us we’re gonna gang up on them and f them up.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:49 AM

11,046 posts, read 9,684,120 times
Quote:

We've conquered many diseases in the history of the modern world (measles, polio, AIDS, etc) and we will continue to do so. We don't live "in the wild" and we, at least most of us, have a sense of compassion and want to help those who need it. We no longer leave the old or sick out on the ice floe to die.

If you'd like to volunteer to to improve the intelligence of our species by removing yourself from the gene pool, go right ahead.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:59 AM

6,676 posts, read 5,886,279 times
Quote:

This is nature. Everything's part of nature, no exceptions.

There's no rule that the gene pool must be strengthened. It's what tends to happen but it's not a requirement for living.

We humans have developed a sense of compassion for the sick and the weak, which runs counter to the trend of survival of the fittest. This is nothing new; you can go back 100,000 years and find evidence that the Neanderthals cared for the lame and injured.

Was it a bad thing that science was able to keep Stephen Hawking alive despite ALS? He had 3 children, and he contributed hugely to our understanding of matter and energy.

Eventually we will indeed conquer viruses and bacteria and auto-immune diseases like ALS, probably through genetic modification. What kind of world that will be, it's hard to say. But it will enable millions to live, and love, and create art and music, and vastly advance our civilization. I say it's worth it.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:53 AM

24,450 posts, read 9,315,996 times
We’re going hard to prevent further spread.

But in a few months when this virus continues to spread anyway, we’ll start the economy again before we have a full blown global riot on our hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness