Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 08:20 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,844 times

Advertisements

Such as tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, grapes, berries. If the virus is in the air presumably it can land on any fruit or vegetable that a person who is carrying the virus comes within six feet of. If we peel the fruit or vegetable before eating it does that make it safe from viral contamination? If we can't easily peel it are we supposed to wash and rinse it, or cook it to a recommended temperature, or just stay away from it for now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 03:36 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Good question!

Latest info on airborne spread of virus-- can be found in air 20ft (!) from the infected sneezer.

The real answer to your question is "Nobody knows."

It can be difficult to impossible to scrub produce clean, as you point out. We happen to have an ozone generator (bought to treat things that had been in storage and became moldy). We;re putting produce just brought home from the store in a big cardboard box (2-3 cu ft) with the generator for 2 hrs before transferring it to the fridge.

So far, we've been healthy.

Heating food to 160degF for 20 minutes (essentially Pasteurization) is also supposed to de-activate any bugs on it.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:03 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Yes. Just wash it first, but you should do that anyway. I saw a doctor speaking about this very thing. COVID-19 is a respiratory disease, so it doesn't do well in the digestive tract. That means that even if there is some of the virus on the food, and you eat it, the virus will die rather than make you sick. The virus also doesn't do well with heat, so cooking will kill it too.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:50 PM

962 posts, read 613,412 times
Don't know the answer OP.

But I eat 2lbs of fresh veggies, and 2lbs a fresh fruit every day. That's an enormous amount.

I just rinse in water, wipe dry, wash my hands, then eat. I'm still alive, for now.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:56 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Maybe if you sniff contaminated produce or touch your mouth after touching contaminated produce. Once it reaches your stomach however, your stomach acid will neutralize the virus. Packaging is another matter, that is more suspect so you should remove it as soon as you get it home, transfer to another type of packaging and wash your hands. CV19 is not a food-borne virus. Either way, just be careful and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think I will have some salad tonight.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:14 PM

58 posts, read 61,356 times
Handling them is probably more dangerous than actually eating veggies and fruit.
I wash my hands before taking out of bag, then put them in a bowl of warm water with a teaspoon of antibacterial soap. Soak and rub off the soap as you rinse. Then pat dry and clean bag them.

I do this because a sneeze will contaminate all of it. Don’t bring it to your fridge.
If you live in a high risk area take your shoes off after the store trip. Spray them with Lysol until they are wet and leave them outside.

Why bother being half careful? Gosh, will life ever be the same?
Well at least we’ve learned a lot. Have you wondered if the results of being careful might also curtail flus and bad colds? Great!

Old 04-07-2020, 03:34 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,381,748 times
I consume a big variety of fresh veggies 3 times a day. I am not eating any salads. I am not eating any veggies raw, except for carrots, which I peel before washing and eating. I eat avocado raw, but of course not the outer skin. I wash the avocado well before cutting in half.

Before I cook fresh veggies like broccoli, I wash them in a bowl of water, fully submerged (not just rinsed out quickly under the faucet). Then it gets steamed in my pressure cooker. The pressure cooker steam will kill any bacteria or virus.

I wash hands before & after handling the veggies

Old 04-07-2020, 05:08 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,743,798 times
We eat a lot of fresh veggies. I read cold water only, no soaps. I've been bringing them home and soaking them in cold water right away, then putting in our own containers or zip lock bags, usually with a paper towel to soak up moisture and keep them crisp.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:16 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,086,308 times
I read a report recently about a very small sampled study done that seems to indicate the virus might be transmittable through food and survive the digestive system. Nobody really knows. I'm still eating salad, but I take each bite with a shot of whiskey, just to be safe.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,844 times
These are all good replies. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness