Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 12:02 PM

131 posts, read 218,752 times

Advertisements

I'm using disposable gloves when in stores (being careful not to touch my face) and then peel them off just prior to getting back in the car. Assuming these gloves may have the covid virus on them how long would they have to sit before being 100% free of any viruses? Because I'd like to re-use them if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 12:05 PM

5,062 posts, read 2,991,660 times
The gloves are usually disposed, but they could be sterilized in boiling water and reused.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:10 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,670,727 times
It looks like three days. However getting the gloves off without touching one with your skin would be tricky. IMO, just toss them. They are not that expensive.

https://www.ccn.com/how-long-does-co...-say-for-days/

Old 03-21-2020, 12:19 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,377,691 times
So here's what I've been doing with my latex gloves:

Because supplies are running low, I will put on my gloves before leaving my car. Once I return to my car, I wipe the gloves with Clorox Germicidal Wipes. I remove the gloves and reuse as needed.

I keep a bag of the wipes in my car. Sometimes I will open the bag, wipe the gloves with a wipe, and leave that wipe in the bag. Any thoughts on this practice?

Old 03-21-2020, 01:55 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,267,096 times
Unless you're doing heavy-duty stuff where you think they'll get ripped, and you don't want to spend to replace the nitrile gloves every time just get cheaper latex gloves and toss 'em. You're defeating 90% of the purpose if you reuse them.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:01 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,112,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
So here's what I've been doing with my latex gloves:

Because supplies are running low, I will put on my gloves before leaving my car. Once I return to my car, I wipe the gloves with Clorox Germicidal Wipes. I remove the gloves and reuse as needed.

I keep a bag of the wipes in my car. Sometimes I will open the bag, wipe the gloves with a wipe, and leave that wipe in the bag. Any thoughts on this practice?
there might a flaw or two in this procedure. let's see if the penny drops.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:02 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,749,812 times
That's similar to what I do too. I wrote about it in another thread, for those who know I'm repeating myself. I use nitrile gloves (I'm allergic to latex) year round anyway due to a long-standing issue with my hands. Now I'm not the odd-man-out anymore! This has worked well for me as it keeps me from too much contact with sanitizers and soaps which raise havoc with my skin. I clean mine with hand sanitizer when I'm out and about and soap and water if I'm using them at home. I remove them after I've cleaned them so I'm never touching them with my bare hands until they've been cleaned. It doesn't seem to weaken them or shorten their useful life. I haven't used the Clorox Germicidal Wipes so can't speak to that specifically.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:10 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,377,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
there might a flaw or two in this procedure. let's see if the penny drops.
Please point out the flaws. I'm looking for direction, especially with that of dipping into the bag of wipes.

Thank you

Old 03-21-2020, 02:13 PM

23,042 posts, read 18,404,086 times
You do know the proper way to remove "contaminated" gloves right? If you do it correctly you shouldn't be contaminating yourself. There's no reason you couldn't sanitize them and reuse them. This guide explains how to remove gloves safely but doesn't address cleaning them. If you submerge the used gloves in hot soapy water or a bleach solution and let them dry thoroughly you should be able to use them again.

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/po...ove-gloves.pdf

Old 03-21-2020, 02:21 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,112,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Please point out the flaws. I'm looking for direction, especially with that of dipping into the bag of wipes.

Thank you
you contaminated your gloves in the store. you get in your car with contaminated gloves. now what is contaminated?

why not forego gloves and do something similar with your hands? the gloves are not magic but i get that they make people feel like they are doing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness