Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 05:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

NPR is non stop with the CV stuff. This morning two highly regarded doctors talked about "what to do if on has the virus"....first of all treat it like a cold, flu etc etc.. One MD is affiliated with UCLA and the other one with Huntington Hospital in Pasadena.

Hydrate, rest, Vit C, zinc... it's a virus and our body can do a good job of fighting off viruses. Most of all we NEED to have a strong immune system to fight this better....when we are strong, we will get better and heal faster.

So so many ignore the need for a strong immune system.

I am fine, but if things changed in me, I'd do the above at least. And would be up dosing on Vit D also...which I do anyway, same with Vit C.

I have no link but if one finds one, post it. This was on Larry Mantle this morning, but it could have been pre-recorded...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 06:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
NPR is non stop with the CV stuff. This morning two highly regarded doctors talked about "what to do if on has the virus"....first of all treat it like a cold, flu etc etc.. One MD is affiliated with UCLA and the other one with Huntington Hospital in Pasadena.

Hydrate, rest, Vit C, zinc... it's a virus and our body can do a good job of fighting off viruses. Most of all we NEED to have a strong immune system to fight this better....when we are strong, we will get better and heal faster.

So so many ignore the need for a strong immune system.

I am fine, but if things changed in me, I'd do the above at least. And would be up dosing on Vit D also...which I do anyway, same with Vit C.

I have no link but if one finds one, post it. This was on Larry Mantle this morning, but it could have been pre-recorded...

Yes. A new study shows how a healthy immune system defeats this novel coronavirus:
"We showed that even though COVID-19 is caused by a new virus, in an otherwise healthy person, a robust immune response across different cell types was associated with clinical recovery, similar to what we see in influenza"
How a person's immune system defeated the virus https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...y-immune-cells

Doctors have now mapped how our immune system fights COVID-19
https://www.sciencealert.com/doctors...s-covid-19/amp

Old 03-23-2020, 06:41 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
i wonder what's going on during cytokine storm?

Old 03-23-2020, 07:31 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
A good video last week from Dr. John Campbell, a retired Nurse Teacher and A and E nurse based in England. His main point was your immune system is already at its peak, you can only do things to worsen it, such as drinking alcohol, smoking, being overweight, not getting enough sleep, etc. It's only a little over 8 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt2CBtukxtE

Old 03-23-2020, 08:00 PM

Just viewed the video and worth the time to do so. Good info and MOST of what I do but I do more. Sleep and De-Stress are very important.

As of news today, Olympics will be postponed.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-23-2020 at 08:13 PM..

Old 03-23-2020, 08:45 PM

Right jam, good sleep and managing stress are important for immune function too.

• Eat a diet that supports optimal immune function. Try to avoid sugars, alcohol, smoking, and refined and overly-processed foods.
  • Get adequate sleep.
  • Keep up physical activity/exercise.
  • Try to reduce and manage stress.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Right jam, good sleep and managing stress are important for immune function too.

• Eat a diet that supports optimal immune function. Try to avoid sugars, alcohol, smoking, and refined and overly-processed foods.
  • Get adequate sleep.
  • Keep up physical activity/exercise.
  • Try to reduce and manage stress.
S.S. -- You commented that Mayo has said about the same info the 2 MD's said, and I'm looking for that info and can't come up with it...could you send a link on that. I'd like to read it.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
S.S. -- You commented that Mayo has said about the same info the 2 MD's said, and I'm looking for that info and can't come up with it...could you send a link on that. I'd like to read it.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20479976

Old 03-23-2020, 10:50 PM

377 posts, read 382,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
i wonder what's going on during cytokine storm?
Immune system is a balance. You want it to be somewhat effective but without causing a supercharged "overkill" response.

Cytokine storm is an overkill response. Cytokines in small numbers are essential to fighting off infections. Cytokines in large numbers will almost certainly kill you, faster than the infection itself would.

As with most anything, it's a fine balance.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:19 PM

I'm impressed and thankful. Had an email this morning from NPR with the segment and names of the MD's that prompted my posting.

https://www.scpr.org/programs/airtal...t-on-the-coro/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness