Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 10:49 AM

132 posts, read 75,985 times

Advertisements

10 million or more people in IL. About 1600 cases and 3 of my friends all had someone that they worked with test positive. Smaller companies. What are the odds? Or maybe there is more that haven’t been reported.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:33 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,139,789 times
why do you think company size has something to do with it?

Old 03-26-2020, 02:45 PM

132 posts, read 75,985 times
I never said it did. I was stating it since there aren’t a lot of people around yet 3 different people ad all at different offices got it. What are the odds with the number of people in IL and number of cases.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:56 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
People tend to forget that humans aren't distributed evenly across any state. They clump. There are going to be more cases popping up in more densely populated areas. Plus, more businesses tend to be staffed in more densely populated areas too. The sheer probability that they come in contact with someone who's sick is higher. If these "people you know" (which is so vague as to be almost impossible to speculate about) all tend to work in a couple of clumped populations the odds they end up with a highly contagious virus are going to be higher.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:45 AM

13,244 posts, read 7,295,079 times
3 people who work in my office tested positive the company won't say who or what building they actually worked in. I don't know why they even told us because no way to know if we have been exposed to them.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:59 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I don't go out much or see many people. I have only a couple friends I ever see socially and it's rare when we go out, mostly phone calls. One of them, who I went to the movies with the day before we got the word to start social distancing, found out someone SHE works with (a 15 hour a week part time job) tested positive for COVID19 a week later. It's the only confirmed case in our town.

Point is, I don't know or see hardly anyone. I work a solitary job, I'm a homebody, this "stay home" thing is a piece of cake for me. I go to the movies with this friend about 6 times a year, and now I have a connection to COVID19. The odds are ridiculous.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:55 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
3 people who work in my office tested positive the company won't say who or what building they actually worked in. I don't know why they even told us because no way to know if we have been exposed to them.
Its possible they evaluated who those people were in contact with and only informed them. Those who didn't need to know were not included.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:06 PM

13,244 posts, read 7,295,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Its possible they evaluated who those people were in contact with and only informed them. Those who didn't need to know were not included.
That is possible it was routine for co-workers to come to work sick coughing up a lung, and even red faced with a fever. Most of my flu's and colds were from those people due to the fact that the company removed cubical walls. Management refused to send sick people to work remote so they don't spread it.

Were being told we will go back to the office on May 1st, but doctors are saying the peak will happen mid May and going back to normal won't happen at least until August.

If it follows the flu pattern it could come back in the fall like Spanish flu did which killed many. I have a pre-existing lung condition which qualifies me under the ADA I'm going to request continue to work from home until a vaccine is ready.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I don't know of anyone who has contacted it yet, thank God. OK, I am retired but my kids and grand kids are not. They have not come in contact with any either. The chance of being around someone with it, probably isn't as common as many of us think, but for those who have; remember many people test positive without symptoms at first. And for me, even being retired, I do a lot of socializing so am in contact with the public. Well, I was doing a lot of socializing. Like others I am pretty much home bound right now.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:09 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,054 times
I will point out some facts. Being " infected " does not mean you are going to die. Of those who are diagnosed positive AFTER being tested, most will recover . Of those who are sick enough to be in a hospital, only about ten percent of that number will be sick enough to be placed on a ventilator.

The daily reports should of course, detail the progression of the pandemic, but it should also underline the vast number of people who have RECOVERED from this disease. That's important for all of you to know.

Despite what some people think...…..this disease can infect ANYONE, regardless of their age. Here in Canada we have seen patients aged 1 year old to 100 years old. Yes it is more likely for a patient to be over 50 years of age, but young healthy people can ALSO get it.

For those who think that " this will all be over in a month ". The second wave is going to loom in the Pacific rim nations, in September ( according to the CDC in Atlanta's computer modeling ). Be prepared for this outbreak to last a year, or more.

This will affect the world economy, for sure, not just the USA. The virus knows no boundary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness