Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 04:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,011,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenday View Post
Where are people getting their face masks? I thought they've been sold out everywhere yet I see people wearing them in stores, in the streets, etc. Any recommendations?
I had a couple N95 face masks at home saved from when i visited California during the fires 18 months ago (used for smoke). My niece had a few saved from when they were remodeling (used for dust). My nephew had some because he does repairs. My neighbor had a few left over from when he wore them while he was treated for cancer.

I bet that most of the people who have them now either bought them in February, when the pandemic was just starting, or they already had them for use for something else.

You can order cloth masks with filters from Etsy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 05:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,453,648 times
What about buying N95 masks from Ebay? I have bad lungs and might just buy a germ warfare mask from this site
https://www.mirasafety.com/collectio...tical-gas-mask

Old 03-31-2020, 05:12 PM

987 posts, read 772,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Physique Bodyware is making masks. They just sent me a notification. You can go out to their website and order the masks.
Just went out and checked:

Style CO19 – Surgical Face Mask. Reusable, washable. Meets FEMA & CDC guidelines. Made in America $9.95

https://www.physiquebodywareusa.com/

mmmm thank you for the link... I am in love with this type of window shopping

Old 03-31-2020, 05:15 PM

987 posts, read 772,095 times
Will this Darth Vader mask work? It is made of very hard plastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw9YrXlkrsU

Old 03-31-2020, 05:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,240,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
HEPA filter homemade masks for the win.

HEPA filters block 99.97% of particles down to .3 microns

I provided the
link in my prior post above but here it is (again).
Now, can you breathe through it?

Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 PM

17,689 posts, read 15,388,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Now, can you breathe through it?

I haven't made one. But the doctor who introduces the mask before his wife shows exactly how it's made, talked about his own test of wearing it and his perceptions.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,307,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
N95 masks are made of cotton fibers just like Bounty, you can craft them by using multiple sheets of bounty and tape up the ends to form a mask. Then use rubber bands to make it hang on to your ears.
How do you get rid of the scent?

Old 03-31-2020, 11:03 PM

3,280 posts, read 1,784,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Physique Bodyware is making masks. They just sent me a notification. You can go out to their website and order the masks.
Just went out and checked:

Style CO19 – Surgical Face Mask. Reusable, washable. Meets FEMA & CDC guidelines. Made in America $9.95

https://www.physiquebodywareusa.com/
I ordered two hi-end N95 re usable masks with 8 filter refills from China via FullyGeeked on Feb 25 and they arrived a few days ago. I was actually surprised they got here. I use surgicals over them because I wear belts and suspenders. They are very comfortable.

HOWEVER, I have come to believe that well fitted surgical masks are as effective as N95 masks. And they're way better than nothing.
Here is why:

According to a Sept 3, 2019 article in The Journal of the American Medical Association, surgical masks provide about the same protection to medical personnel in preventing influenza contagion as N95 masks!

REF: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2749214

"N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza in Health Care Personnel"

"Question Is the use of N95 respirators or medical masks more effective in preventing influenza infection among outpatient health care personnel in close contact with patients with suspected respiratory illness?

Findings In this pragmatic, cluster randomized clinical trial involving 2862 health care personnel, there was no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza among health care personnel with the use of N95 respirators (8.2%) vs medical masks (7.2%).

Meaning As worn by health care personnel in this trial, use of N95 respirators, compared with medical masks, in the outpatient setting resulted in no significant difference in the rates of laboratory-confirmed influenza."
I have not found a clinical study that contradicts this finding.
To suggest that one needs a medical degree or certification for the masks to work defies common sense.

I would hope that if the CDC alters it's recommendation from 'social distancing' to 'wear a mask.. any mask' they will make this simple, inexpensive, and highly effective protection available en masse and as soon as possible.

THE SOONER WE TURN OFF THE FAUCET, THE SOONER WE'LL END THE FLOOD!

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 03-31-2020 at 11:49 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 03:26 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,319,303 times
We had some basic disposable masks that we had before, they were used for projects. Not N95 but should provide protection from droplets but not close to filtering out individual virus. We use these for shopping.

We also have one P95 mask, which is like an industrial duty rubber N95 mask that is designed to be used with things like pesticides - haven't used it for this yet.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,303,611 times
Well I am one of those who does not intend to buy one until one: they have solid information about how well they protect us and 2-if it becomes mandatory. We hardly leave the house. When we do we rarely go inside a store, but we do curb side pick up. I do wonder, if it does become a mandatory thing where are we all going
to find them. For those who need them or those who have them for other reasons I understand wearing them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness